Do you carry different action types frequently?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Mostly I carry my S&W 3913. I also carry my XDm a good amount. The action types of these guns are different. The S&W is SA/DA with a great trigger. (One of the reasons I got it) The XDm is striker fired.

My first range trip with my Smith, I brought my XDm along to shoot too. After about 100 rounds with it, I switched to my XDm and kept short stroking the trigger as the reset is quite a bit longer than the S&W. I was able to adapt in the first mag and thought nothing of it.

Now I have been taking some training locally. I have only used my XDm as it is full size and easier to shoot and manipulate in the several hundred rounds of a session. Plus I have more mags and they hold twice a many rounds as the Smith.

Now I am thinking that I have my muscle memory for the XDm and if I carry my S&W, things might not go as good if I need to use it.

Can you train yourself to use both proficiently fairly easy? This is my first formal training and I really don't want to switch guns in the middle of everything.

I think I'm going to keep carrying the XDm (which is the 5.25 competition model). I guess I'm looking to get a smaller version of the XDm that is a little easier to carry. With the weather getting cooler, it's easier to keep covered when I want to keep it covered (I OC it also).

Do you EDC different action types and how long did it take you to be comfortable doing it?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have no problem with switching between my Glock and 1911s. I have shot many thousands of rounds through each. The only time I carry the Glock anymore is if I am traveling and know it must go in the travel safe. Good example would be when I fly. I usually do not recommend switching platforms. Moving between asingle action striker fired system and DA/SA with slide mounted safety would be tricky.

Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    I grew up shooting and had alot of exposure to different types of guns long before concealed carry was an option here. Moving from revolvers to semis isnt hard when you have enough rounds thru the different platforms. I'm more a believer in mechanical proficiency than muscle memory. Some ppl struggle more than others. My sister shot her snubby very well but didnt do well with bottom feeders.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I do, but I think it helps they are so different. A full sized revolver (model 19) or a M&P .40.

I can see problems switching semi to semi though. Going from my M&P to my PT-92 though, I have to concentrate.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I also carry a 3913 on occasion. Primary carry is a colt 1991a1 45acp 3.5" barrel compact officers model. I've also been known to carry a S&W bodyguard 380. Some double and single action automatics here, but all are always carried in condition one, round chambered, safety on, and ready to fire should the need arise. The S&W's being double action (the 3913 on the first round only), and the colt with the hammer back and safety on. I also have a double action S&W model 15 38 special.

I think the primary focus regardless what you carry should be readiness. You should be able to, with one hand, get off a shot if you needed to. With any of these weapons I can easily thumb the safety off and pull a trigger should the need arise. I don't think different actions, or even differing models of firearms, should hamper most 'gun' people. Someone like my mom who pulls her 22lr sterling from the box in the closet once every five years and says "teach me how to work this thing again".... it doesn't matter what I put in her hands. She is likely screwed should the need to defend herself arise.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I carry my G19 80% of the time EDC. The other times I carry a J frame or when I don't have a gun on me, I carry a Beretta Tomcat. The Tomcat is also my back up, so I'm used to carrying, deploying and shooting all three of them. I also train with all three regularly.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    SA/DA revolver, DAO revolver, SA auto, SA/DA auto, DAO auto. After a while, ya just kinda get used to it, I guess.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I change between striker fired and da/sa, but I don't carry anything with a thumb safety. I just don't want to introduce an entire step into the process that would change based on what I brought out that day. I don't sweat the differences in trigger pull and such.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The biggest difference I go is between an M&P FS 9 (no safety) to a Shield (safety not used) to a J-frame (with the Apex spring kit in it to SLIGHTLY lighten and smooth the trigger pull).

All three are, essentially, point and click interfaces.

I personally do not want to have to somehow remember what firearm I'm carrying should I happen to need to draw and fire my weapon. Not even a mili-second of "is there a safety that I need to worry about?" second thought.

I don't even have any "range guns" that have/utilize manual safeties. (Though I do have one on my wish list)

I want consistency and continuity. For me, that's quite difficult to do by changing up a manual of arms every "season" or just on a whim.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I carry a Kahr Primary and a Kahr BUG since both have the "same" trigger feel. I don't carry two different brands, let alone systems. I do/can switch off to my Colt Combat Commander and my Colt Pocketlite.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No, I made the decision that I will carry/train/rely on the same platform. It might be a compact or sub compact, but it will be the same action, the same trigger mechanism, etc, even be able to share mags and use the same holsters. Train how you want to play. As Forrest would say, you know, one less thing.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    The thought process of, "You will lose fine motor skills in a stressful event." is a complete lie.

Sure, train with everything. Carry everything. Rinse and repeat.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have to think twice when competing and switching between striker-fire, SA, and SA/DA guns. The only issue is remembering to pull the trigger again with misfires on the SA/DA, but some people do not prescribe to that practice.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    No frame mounted safety, no problem. SA/DA to striker with no problems, however, accuracy may not be as good as it could be sticking to just one operating system - I'll never know.

Top Bottom