Do you carry different action types frequently?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walt G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Hendricks co
    No frame mounted safety, no problem. SA/DA to striker with no problems, however, accuracy may not be as good as it could be sticking to just one operating system - I'll never know.
    Agreed with the safty, I believe as long as you train with all your carry weapons and do it on a regular schedule all is well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Can you train yourself to use both proficiently fairly easy?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: No, because your brain doesn't work like that. Things that it is familiar with take less working memory up. Things that are unfamiliar take more. You have a very finite amount of working memory, and in a stressful situation its full up and will squeeze out non-essential information. Reading this post takes very little of your working memory because reading this language is something you are very familiar with. You could read this post with loud music playing and while having a conversation with your spouse. No problem. Now try to count all the occurrences of the letter "f". This is an unfamiliar task, and while relatively simple, you'll stop having the conversation. If I ask you to count the occurrences of the letter "f" and the number of periods, you'll probably want to turn the music off, too, because now you are holding even more information in your working memory (two running tallies) while simultaneously adding to them. If you add time pressure, your pupils will dilate, your heart rate will increase, and you'll actually start burning more calories due to the mental effort.

Now, if you're under time pressure and you're distracted by a chaotic event, your working memory is going to be real full real quick. You want to run your gun as easily as you read, drive a car down the highway, or eat oatmeal. Without the need for active thought. If you don't frequently and realistically train or are using somewhat unfamiliar equipment, you're counting "f"s instead of reading. No training or radically different equipment is counting "f's and periods.

While I'm not a Glock guy personally, this is a huge reason to go Glock if you like them. They all feel the same and all shoot the same. If you're good with one, you're probably good with all of them that fit your hand.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Longer answer: No, because your brain doesn't work like that. Things that it is familiar with take less working memory up. Things that are unfamiliar take more. You have a very finite amount of working memory, and in a stressful situation its full up and will squeeze out non-essential information. Reading this post takes very little of your working memory because reading this language is something you are very familiar with. You could read this post with loud music playing and while having a conversation with your spouse. No problem. Now try to count all the occurrences of the letter "f". This is an unfamiliar task, and while relatively simple, you'll stop having the conversation. If I ask you to count the occurrences of the letter "f" and the number of periods, you'll probably want to turn the music off, too, because now you are holding even more information in your working memory (two running tallies) while simultaneously adding to them. If you add time pressure, your pupils will dilate, your heart rate will increase, and you'll actually start burning more calories due to the mental effort.

Now, if you're under time pressure and you're distracted by a chaotic event, your working memory is going to be real full real quick. You want to run your gun as easily as you read, drive a car down the highway, or eat oatmeal. Without the need for active thought. If you don't frequently and realistically train or are using somewhat unfamiliar equipment, you're counting "f"s instead of reading. No training or radically different equipment is counting "f's and periods.

While I'm not a Glock guy personally, this is a huge reason to go Glock if you like them. They all feel the same and all shoot the same. If you're good with one, you're probably good with all of them that fit your hand.

That is what I was thinking. Thanks.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

^^^^This times a million. Some of my guns have safeties, some have decockers, some have nothing at all. I don't use any of that stuff. All of my guns are DA/SA and don't require a safety or any other device to be safe. You present and pull the trigger. Since all of mine have been upgraded the same they all shoot the same. All of the brain power is expended on the decision to engage or not to engage. Once the tripwire has been hit everything should be automatic at that point. Gun owners love to fool themselves. They talk themselves into all kinds of stuff. They carry guns they don't shoot well and say it's for comfort. They mix guns of various MOA, take them to the range a few times, and declare themselves proficient for carry. You are fooling yourselves. Just my two cents.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I got a great lesson about changing platforms today. I decided to shoot a revolver in USPSA match. Stage two the trigger would not work (high primer). Like any good pistol shooter I immediately tried to tap/rack the gun. LOL. We all started laughing! Then I managed to short stroke the trigger. I think I will stick to 1911s and Glocks.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I got a great lesson about changing platforms today. I decided to shoot a revolver in USPSA match. Stage two the trigger would not work (high primer). Like any good pistol shooter I immediately tried to tap/rack the gun. LOL. We all started laughing! Then I managed to short stroke the trigger. I think I will stick to 1911s and Glocks.

Good example.

I think with a lot of practice and effort a person can get used to and be very proficient with perhaps two platforms. Of course you can have familiarity and reasonable proficiency across a broad spectrum, but to be your best on more than one or two is just out of reach for the vast majority of us.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I usually carry a Glock (26 or 19) but occasionally carry my GP100 Ruger. Pull trigger, goes bang.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I usually carry a Glock (26 or 19) but occasionally carry my GP100 Ruger. Pull trigger, goes bang.

I agree to a point. I often keep a J frame in my pocket when beating around the house. In fact it is there right now. But in my example above I just illustrated why the pull trigger goes bang philosophy may not always work under stress. I assure you I am a very experienced pistol shooter. Now I do think it is possible to move between platforms to an extent. I recently aquired a SAO Sig P226 (not sure if I will keep it long term) but if it stays around I might turn it into a dedicated HD gun. I do not anticipate a problem moving from a 1911 to this particular Sig.

Top Bottom