Do you carry a full magazine + one in the chamber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you top off a magazine after putting a round into the chamber?

• Total voters

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    That's why I carry guns that have drop safeties. Most guns if you drop them, shouldn't go off

And back to the carrying in condition 3 all the time and during the draw you rack. Have you done it at the range and during training? Have you run your gun like that enough times that when the situation calls for you, you can do it without fail? If you can do it time and again during practice and not just take your time practice, as in quick draw, rack and then aim.

But I will always have a full mag plus one in the chamber. That is how I'm trained and that is how I do things.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Ah, could be. Or maybe they use this holster..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5H2GYOhKtM
    Mind-Blown.jpg

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    That is how I'm trained and that is how I do things.

That's the way I was shown to do it so that's just how I've always done it. And so yes racking the slide on the way to aiming is my instinct regardless of if there is a round chambered or not. And I understand everyone else's philosophy of keeping their gun chambered. It's just what your preference is.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012

I wish I could grow mustaches like Israeli men. Sigh.

OT:
    Actually, until I read this post, I always topped off without thinking about it. But this thread made me go through my reasons, and I found that it makes more sense for me to NOT top off in my 12-rd Sig 250.

Mostly because when I go to IUPUI campus, I have to leave my gun in my car off-campus, and got tired of trying to figure out where to put the 13th bullet after I cleared the gun and put it away.

Note: I carry both mags inside with me. I'm not giving a carjacker a ready-to-use gun (assuming they can find it in my super-secret hidey spot).

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    Just curious, have either of you had any training?

Nope. Pulling it from my holster and grabbing the slide with my other hand while I extend my arm to come on target isn't rocket science. I practice.

Truth is, I would like to take some training some day. There is always plenty I could learn, I'm sure. I'm just able to weigh the pros and cons of something and make an informed decision. I don't have to be "all in" in every aspect of my life to feel adequate.

I carry a gun, and I know how to use it. I observe the primary rules of gun safety. I and my family are much safer than if I didn't carry. I don't have to feel like some sort of pre-programmed killing machine to feel like I'm doing enough.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I wish I could grow mustaches like Israeli men. Sigh.

OT:
    Actually, until I read this post, I always topped off without thinking about it. But this thread made me go through my reasons, and I found that it makes more sense for me to NOT top off in my 12-rd Sig 250.

Mostly because when I go to IUPUI campus, I have to leave my gun in my car off-campus, and got tired of trying to figure out where to put the 13th bullet after I cleared the gun and put it away.

Note: I carry both mags inside with me. I'm not giving a carjacker a ready-to-use gun (assuming they can find it in my super-secret hidey spot).

This is actually a well thought out reason for not topping off.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Nope. Pulling it from my holster and grabbing the slide with my other hand while I extend my arm to come on target isn't rocket science. I practice.

At least incorporate various alternative methods of chambering a round into your practice.

The fact that both our hands will likely not be available for gun manipulation if and when we really need to defend ouselves isn't really rocket science, either.

fireman28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Have you disabled the grip safety on the 1911? (I guess if you dropped the gun just right, the grip safety hit a protruding board and did it hard enough to jar the hammer you could have a problem.)

Yes it has the grip safety. But I do believe if you hit the hammer hard enough it would still discharge. I Thought the grip safety just disables the trigger. Correct me if I'm wrong. This is just what I've been told by others.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Yes it has the grip safety. But I do believe if you hit the hammer hard enough it would still discharge. I Thought the grip safety just disables the trigger. Correct me if I'm wrong. This is just what I've been told by others.
    I don't know. I had a beautiful Kimber that I could just never get used to carrying cocked and locked. I went to Glock because of the absolute safety of the firing pin block. It can't be jarred to go off because the pin is mechanically blocked until the trigger is starting to move to fire.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    At least incorporate various alternative methods of chambering a round into your practice.

The fact that both our hands will likely not be available for gun manipulation if and when we really need to defend ouselves isn't really rocket science, either.

Great idea, though there are very few things I wouldn't drop in that case. :yesway:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Great idea, though there are very few things I wouldn't drop in that case. :yesway:

Keep in mind, it isnt just about CARRYING something in your off hand. You could already be fighting off the attacker, you could already have been shot in that arm yourself, or stabbed, or any other myriad ways that arm could be "out of play".

Practicing different ways of racking the slide is great even if you do carry one in the chamber. (which you should :stickpoke:... :) )

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Why load your self defence firearm to the maximum. Fully loaded and cocked/locked is the only way to carry a 1911, IMO.

Same is true for the Glock, but more care is needed.

Stay safe,
    Vv

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    M&P Shield 9mm. Carry 16 rounds total on me.

7+1 loaded, 8 round mag in the pocket.

I don't do 32+1 or 10+1 in my Ruger 10/22, though - because I don't use it to defend myself. If it's a gun, as the shield is that I'm going to rely saving my life on, I like to have one chambered and at the ready.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Nate Dogg always carried 16 in the clip and one in the hole. But that was only before was about to make some bodies turn cold! :D

I always have topped off a mag after racking it!

Top Bottom