Do you approve of peacefully armed protesters?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you approve of peacefully armed protesters?

• Total voters

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i respect the rights of people to show up while armed, but i dont think its always a good idea. i mean, the guy who showed up to a presidential meeting with a gun and a sign with the "tree of liberty" quote.....thats just not good IMHO.

the reality is that guns are a very sensitive issue for a LOT of libs and sheeple. we have to pick our words and battles very carefully, because the media is definitely NOT on our side. just because you can do something, doesnt make it a good idea. ymmv

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Lots of Town Hall meetings lately, and lots of people choosing to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights and come to the rallies peacefully armed.

How do you feel when you see people safely openly carrying firearms in crowds?
    Particularly at political events that may have VIPs present.

So often, I find polls I'd love to answer, but the answer I'd choose is not there. You offered:

Poll Options
    Do you approve of peacefully armed protesters?

* No, open carry should be banned.

* No, they pose a threat to the crowd and stifle discussion.

* No, it is their right but I wish they wouldn't. It hurts our cause.

* Yes, its good to see but I wouldn't do it myself.

* Yes, I look forward to doing the same.

And while I don't have a problem with any of those and recognize you can't forsee every possibility, my answer would be, "Yes, it's good to see and I might at some point do it myself."

I fully agree that they are breaking no laws and are putting no one in any danger except for a criminal intent on harming others. I fully agree that they are fully within their rights when they choose to do this. I do not look forward to doing this myself, but I also do not eliminate it as a possibility. It's a good tool for reminding politicians in their ivory towers that the ivory is not so protected as they may think, and that their job descriptions still include serving the public, not ruling it.

Good post, and good question!

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it."

Any political official who is truly exercising his or her office "to secure these rights" using "their just powers" derived "from the consent of the governed" should have no fear of openly armed citizens at a political rally (the prospective assassins, after all, will have their weapons concealed). If someone is carrying openly, he's not there to shoot, he's their to talk and be heard.

If they fear law-abiding citizens exercising their Constitutionally protected rights then the conclusion is left as an exercise for the student.

Thomas Jefferson said, "I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion." and with this I agree. Those in power who do not need to find new employment.

Of course, he also said, "We are not to expect to be transported from despotism to liberty in a featherbed.", so I think it's fair to say they will not go voluntarily nor quietly.

:dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That's fine. They can make a big deal all they want. We will not stop carrying and I will never stop carrying openly.

I've yet to OC at a Political Rally. I fully intend to do so at the next one I attend. I may even OC my AR. Let them call me out on it. I'll be civil about it. I'll also rally other gun owners to do the same. They cannot silence us all.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    They can cry foul all they want. It's not going to change anything unless someone violates the law. :dunno:

I still wanna here from the 4...

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    I'm trying to figure out how open carry hurts our cause anymore than what has transpired while our fathers politely hid their guns. From the Jim Crow laws passed in the south to disarm the newly freed slaves, through the infamous Sullivan Act, the GCA of 1934 and the GCA 0f 1968 up to today, we have hidden our arms like junkies hiding their works. I've heard the argument that when we show our guns, we "scare" the grabbers so we need to cater to their sensitivities or they will take more of our rights away.,
    Be damned to their sensitivities! They are going to do everything in their power to rob us of our rights, regardless of whether we carry open, concealed, or not at all! Now is the time to be open about who we are and what we stand for and let them worry about our sensitivities for a change!:soapbox:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Oh alright, I'll voice my opinion.
    I didn't see a box that I could check, outright.
    I do not have a problem with open carry but not in the manner of the old west, at least not in urban areas. I have my reasons.
    If say a person is carrying in a IWB or OWB holster with a shirt, jacket or coat over it and it can sometimes be seen as that person moves about, then that's just the way it is. It doesn't bother me at all, nor does it bother me that they would chose to carry openly except that I feel that they are giving up the element of surprise to any would be attacker and some people might think their just flaunting their right to carry.
    So, do I approve of peacefully armed protesters? Yes, absolutely. :yesway:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm trying to figure out how open carry hurts our cause anymore than what has transpired while our fathers politely hid their guns. From the Jim Crow laws passed in the south to disarm the newly freed slaves, through the infamous Sullivan Act, the GCA of 1934 and the GCA 0f 1968 up to today, we have hidden our arms like junkies hiding their works. I've heard the argument that when we show our guns, we "scare" the grabbers so we need to cater to their sensitivities or they will take more of our rights away.,
    Be damned to their sensitivities! They are going to do everything in their power to rob us of our rights, regardless of whether we carry open, concealed, or not at all! Now is the time to be open about who we are and what we stand for and let them worry about our sensitivities for a change!:soapbox:

:patriot: You sir hit it right square on the head! It matters not how we carry or if we carry at all. They are coming. The fires have been lit. The papers have been written. They aren't listening to our letters and our phone calls. They think we are weak and scared. They think we don't have the ballz to exercise our rights and show ourselves. As with the Tea Parties, they only listen to the numbers. The more numbers we have showing themselves, the more they can not ignore us. If you choose to do little or nothing about your rights, they will take them away. The time to stand up and DO something is now. Right here, right now. In the lime light. We can cater to people's feelings no longer.

:patriot:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I would like to see more Americans exercising their right to carry. Only as the public sees more of this, without the guns jumping out by themselves and mass murdering everyone at an event, will they become more comfortable with it. While I support everyones right to carry, at these protests and rallies I would like to see more Open Carry. When you CC how does anyone, but you, know you are exercising your rights?
    I might add that you can't exercise your 1st Amendment right by keeping your mouth shut.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Quote the whole thing for truth. Hiding our guns and compromise led only the near destruction of our rights. The political aim of showing armed citizens in public, and the power that represents, is one of the biggest reasons I OC, along with simple comfort. I used to really dislike OC, but as time as gone by, I've decided our government needs as many visible reminders as possible that we are citizens, not subjects.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Not just Government. Criminals too. Once they grow a brain and realize more people carry than what they thought, the smart ones just might give up that lifestyle. Might. The dumb one's will just win the Darwin Award.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Not just Government. Criminals too. Once they grow a brain and realize more people carry than what they thought, the smart ones just might give up that lifestyle. Might. The dumb one's will just win the Darwin Award.

I think the criminals realize now. With CC they don't know who might be packing their demise. The element of surprise is a valuable thing. Out of sight and keep them guessing is my line of thinking. Take a hardened criminal with nothing to loose. If he wants what you have and he knows you are armed,he will just shoot you right from the get go. You probably won't even see it coming.

Not kicking on guys for OC. I don't hassle guys for OC. I just fail to see any benefit to it at all. If that is how a person wants to OC, I say go for it. Just don't get all puffed up and bent out of shape when you get questioned about it. OC attracts attention. When you attract attention,that is what you will get.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I think the criminals realize now. With CC they don't know who might be packing their demise. The element of surprise is a valuable thing. Out of sight and keep them guessing is my line of thinking. Take a hardened criminal with nothing to loose. If he wants what you have and he knows you are armed,he will just shoot you right from the get go. You probably won't even see it coming.

Not kicking on guys for OC. I don't hassle guys for OC. I just fail to see any benefit to it at all. If that is how a person wants to OC, I say go for it. Just don't get all puffed up and bent out of shape when you get questioned about it. OC attracts attention. When you attract attention,that is what you will get.

It only attracts attention because people have been so conditioned to think GUN=BAD. Seeing guns in public on responsible gunowners will eventually melt that perception.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

I like the attention from regular people. Especially if it would come from a political rally. How else can you get to talking with someone about gun rights and how carry a gun is a positive thing without them rolling their eyes and walking away before you can say "Do you like guns?"

Carry a gun openly has given me the chance to talk with a multitude of people about why carrying a gun ISN'T illegal if you're not a police officer. Or how most people who don't carry a gun think that nothing bad will happen to them, but if it does the police will save them.

If you are openly carrying a gun, you can get people to question YOU about it and engage them in a conversation THEY start.

Also, as BloodEclipse said, people seeing more people carrying guns, then they will become used to it. They will start feeling more comfortable with the idea and maybe, just maybe, become a gun owner themselves. Its a great feeling when someone see's your gun, gives you a frightened look, then when they see how nice you are, holding open doors for people, saying hello to EVERYONE, smiling, and just generally being a very polite person, you'll see them start smiling too. Not everyone, but most people.

If you've never OCed, you have no idea what I mean or how it feels.

Sure it gives up element of suprise. Sure it makes you the center of someone's attention. Yes, you'll probably have a visit from you friendly local or federal LE agency. So what if you have nothing to hide?

Oh, as for criminals just going to shoot you first and ask questions later... Did you know that upwards of 80-90% of criminals in jail are not there for murder or attempted murder? Chances are he's not going to shoot you because you're carrying a gun. Chances are he's going to keep a good eye on you and wait for you to leave the area first.

:twocents:

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    I look forward to OCing at a political rally where the 2nd amendment is in question or gun rights are being debated. I would hope all gun owners would want to OC, CC, or at least carry a pro 2A sign to a political rally where gun rights were on the chopping block.

OCing to a political rally on health care for example draws attention away from the point being debated. I want people to pay attention to me for the intelligent points I am trying to convey and not that I have a pistol on my hip.

Politics is ultimately about winning, period. Bring the tools necessary to win the debate at hand. A protester that OC's to a politcal rally for anything other than 2A or gun control issues neither helps nor hinders that arguement but it may distract people from the original topic being debated to a side debate on gun control. If your intent is to start a debate on gun control then OC to whatever rally you want. If you wish to better your chances of winning, organize as many followers as you can and make your debate as specific as possible. The solution to a finite math problem is easier to prove than the meaning behind a poem.

Just my thoughts on the topic take them as you wish.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom