• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I would guess a large majority of USPSA (and most any competition) shooters reload.

First, to reduce the cost of ammunition.
    Second, to tailor their ammo to their preference.

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    I would guess a large majority of USPSA (and most any competition) shooters reload.

First, to reduce the cost of ammunition.
    Second, to tailor their ammo to their preference.

Correct on both accounts. In addition, you Taylor your ammo to make major or minor. You want to achieve the rating without going too far over the rating.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Most Competitive Shooters all load their own ammo. You can customize the ammo to your gun. Plus you make consistent ammo to do live fire training with and shoot matches with.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I almost always shoot reloads for competition. I would only shoot factory ammo if I ran out of reloads.

Same reasons as why I started reloading: cheaper, more consistent, tailor-made for purpose.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I shoot multigun and don't currently reload (shot 7 matches last year), but will start this year or the next for .223 and 9mm. I will continue to buy factory ammo for shotgun, mainly because I've heard there's not much cost savings there and I won't have the money or patience to run a second press. As for why, same as the reasons stated above.

fwheadhunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Yes reload. Shoot 9MM and right now I can get bullets for .068, primer for .029, powder for .014, so I have .11 per shot/ $5.50 per 50, $11/100 (reusing brass obviously). It's very economical. I have very very few problems with my reloads. That said, I trust my life to factory loads in carry gun. If I have a problem in an IPSC match, it's good training for clearing a jam or stovepipe in a moderate-stress situation.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    One question i forgot to ask at the comp class, do you get brass back at comp? Or do you write that brass off?

At local matches, you can get most of the brass you shoot back. The polite thing to do is wait for the match to get over, help tear down your stage/area, and then you can pick up the brass that is on the ground. You won't get all "your" brass back but usually you can pick up enough brass to break even or sometimes get a little more due to others leaving theirs lay. If it's the wrong caliber, just pick it up and save it. It's not hard to find someone willing to trade.

The exception to that is a major match where they have dedicated staff/ROs. Those are usually lost brass matches where you leave the brass for the staff to pickup.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    +1. The clubs where I worked matches would usually let you pick up your brass unless there were so many shooters we had to run it like an assembly line. We always had huge tarps staked down to catch brass.

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    One question i forgot to ask at the comp class, do you get brass back at comp? Or do you write that brass off?

interesting question. I'm guessing the most common answer will be, it depends on the RO. But the club may have a policy that over rules the RO. Find someone who is a member and ask. The could prevent an uncomfortable situation later. I always go out of my way to paste targets and assist the RO so there is no issue picking up my brass. However, there are some RO's that will make an issue of it. As for the advice, you can pick it up after the match - bad advice! You will get brass that is not yours and unless you plan on inspecting every piece, you are going to get some in bad enough shape it will cause you a problem. May not happen the first on second time, but it will happen. So, if the club allows it and the RO says no, it's up to you. I pull the RO off to the side and have a polite conversation. If it's going to be a problem, I ask to be moved to another squad. If the club doesn't allow it, I don't go back.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI

I don't shoot USPSA that often, but when I do I shoot a revolver. I get my brass back since they are held in nice little packages by the moonclips. Another reason to love revolvers.

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    shoot USPSA every weekend somewhere in Indiana. everyone waits until the match is over to pick up brass. no one wants to wait to shoot while some guy looks for his 32nd piece of 9mm brass that is worth 2/3cents. consider match brass as lost and then if you get some back its a bonus.

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    shoot USPSA every weekend somewhere in Indiana. everyone waits until the match is over to pick up brass. no one wants to wait to shoot while some guy looks for his 32nd piece of 9mm brass that is worth 2/3cents. consider match brass as lost and then if you get some back its a bonus.

You and I must not shoot at the same places. Everyone does not wait until match is over to collect brass. If the squad works together, there is plenty of time to pick up your brass. You may not get all your brass, but you can get most without holding up next shooter. If some in the squad paste and a couple pick up, it works quite well.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I was able to buy 40 brass for $35/1000 delivered on here and on Enos last year. You have to pay attention to get the best prices but they do pop up. 9's are cheaper 45's are more.

So, if I shoot a 175 round match and do not pick up diddly then I'm out $6.13.

Like most folks, I am able to pick up brass opportunistically here and there (friends, after matches, on the practice range, etc) so effectively I lose maybe $3.50 ish per 175 round USPSA match and $1.77 ish per 90 round IDPA match.

To me when you consider all the time and money and effort you have otherwise invested to be at a match, it does not make sense to worry about match brass. If it can be gathered without taking away from helping or taking away from your shooting, that is great. If going after it is a thing that messes with getting other stuff done, it just ain't worth it.

All that said, if I could make the trigger work I'd shoot one of the old timey guns. Moonclips are indeed cool.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN

This is the general practice for the matches I have attended at five different ranges. After the match we helped breakdown the last stage we shot. The guys that reload then picked up the brass on that stage. The guys that don't reload get to the restaurant or home sooner. The revolver guys can pickup their moonclips in a similar fashion to the semiautomatic guys picking up their mags. This system seems to work well and keeps the match flowing smoothly.

If it is raining or "Africa hot" then I might skip picking up my brass and head for the restaurant. :)

Top Bottom