Do Makarovs Have A Good Reputation Here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TripleL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    The Rockies
    They're not modern guns but they're all-steel and have passed the test of time...and war. Some deride them as cheap Commie junk but others swear by them, me included. Are they regarded well here in Indiana?

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I had a bulgarian Makarov about three years ago. I thought it was a good enough gun, great for ankle carry. I sold it to help finance another gun purchase. I do regret it. I hope to find an East German Makarov in the near future as a replacement.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    My wife loves hers! I've got some houge grips on the way for her. cheaperthandirt @ $11 a box too! Ammo is hard to find otherwise at a decent price. As long as it's clean, it functions flawlessly. A bit snappy, but very acurate!

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    I have two, an East German and a Russian Hi Cap. I carry the East German a lot in the summer as it is smaller than my Glock 30 and still packs a good punch with hollow point ammo. The Russian has been duracoated and I have wood grips on both. I find them both to be very reliable - you pull the trigger and they go BANG - every time.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/r3126/Maks003.jpg

The East German is on the right and the Russian on the left.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Are those Marschal grips?

Yes, they are. It takes a while to get them, they come from mid Europe. The fit and finish is really good. Considering the price, they are as good as they come.

Thanks for the compliments.

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I have two, one for looks, and one for show. Beautiful guns, a bit heavy for it's cartridge though. Could make for a nice stepping stone in between a .22 and a full-on 1911 .45.

m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    I got one about 3 weeks ago and it's now one of my favorite pistols. The thing just plain works everytime. Get one while you can. They are beautiful pistols and really functional.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I loved mine. Not a true Mak, but shot the 9x18. It was a CZ-82 and that thing was completely reliable and extremely accurate, it always hit right where I pointed it. I've never owned a gun that shot as true as the Mak for me.

I got rid of it because of the oddball caliber. Sportsmans guide has the ammo at around 9/box last I ordered so it was cheap to shoot as well.

I love em, just don't have any anymore because of the nonstandard caliber.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I have owned three: A Chinese Norinco, a Russian commercial IJ-70 and a Bulgarian. Presently, I still have the Bulgie.

All were 100% reliable functionally. All shot at least as well as I can hold for on any given day. All came OTB well-regulated for POI/POA with mil-spec 95 gr. ammo. Fit and finish levels varied a bit, but not to any large degree. What more can one ask for in an easily affordable SD/HD piece of a thoroughly proven design?

I traded the Chinese and sold the IJ-70 to someone who wanted it a lot more than I did. I didn't like the huge, clunky adjustable rear sight anyway, and with the same tiny, shiney front it didn't make any marked difference in how well I could hit with it.

My only gripes about the breed are pretty much subjective. I'm a southpaw, and the stock military grip with the lanyard loop was uncomfortable to shoot with. A Hogue replacement fixed that.

The DA trigger pulls on all of them frankly sucked. Gritty-feeling, quite heavy and lots of travel. To be fair, they smooth up fairly well as the rounds accumulate. The other factors are pretty much inherent to the design and original purpose as a military sidearm, IMO. The aftermarket now has parts and info to address these, to some degree anyway.

The biggest thing to me is the stock sights. They're miniscule and very difficult for my bifocal-clad eyes to pick up quickly and index on-target with much precision consistently. There're fixes for this, but unfortunately I waited too long to decide to commit the considerable extra cash (started at about $125 at the time, nearly 90% of what I paid for the pistol NIB) and Makarov.com stopped offering the packages. It's gonna cost me even more now, if I can find somewhere locally to get the work done properly at all. FWIW, an XS set with a standard-dot tritium front is what I'd like to try. They make a set for the Walther PP/PPK that should be about right.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    As an interesting sidebar...

The Makarov got the edge in the pistol category of "Deadliest Warrior" in the episode "Green Beret vs. Spetsnaz" due to their specialized holster:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5H2GYOhKtM]YouTube - Russian Makarov Pistol Holster - EFA-2[/ame]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom