• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    When I had to make the same decision, I went with A mossberg 500 20Ga youth model. It was small and light enough for the wife to use, and has enough short range stopping power to do the job.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Personally I'd rather have an inexpensive pump shotgun sitting in an evidence locker than an expensive SBR'd AR w/eotech.

I'm pretty sure that would be the last thing in the world you would care about if forced to defend your family and kill a man or men inside your household.

Use what's comfortable and reliable.

I'd rather have my sbr w/eotech sitting in an evidence locker than be dead with a BG's gun sitting in the locker:twocents:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I'm pretty sure that would be the last thing in the world you would care about if forced to defend your family and kill a man or men inside your household.

I'd rather have my sbr w/eotech sitting in an evidence locker than be dead with a BG's gun sitting in the locker:twocents:

I am not following the logic of your argument.

Let's say a homeowner has two choices of weapons for him to use for home defense, an inexpensive pump shotgun & an expensive tricked out AR, with either one being more than capable of doing the job required of it.

Yet the homeowner would rather risk having his expensive tricked out AR confiscated (perhaps never to be returned or even destroyed) instead of his inexpensive shotgun?

That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    What exactly would INGO do????
    WWINGOD?

Well, when I need Immodium AD, I don't take Tums. When I need a shotgun, I use a Shotgun.

1 is none and 2 is one. You need a throw away AR for HD. In other words a second AR. Then decide what role shotguns play in your life.

Those who know me know I am a shotgun guy, there may or may not be one in the bedroom but there are always 2 carbines and 2-3 handguns that stay in there and 2 more handguns that float in and out daily.

As for the doors in my house, if you are heading towards a door, there is a shotgun along the way. No need to backtrack to another room for a gun. Same if I need to step inside to grab one. In an Urban area Shotguns are great for at the door and stepping out. The door funnels them to you. You don't go out with an AR and hunt down fellow humans, you stay on your property and defend your life. A shotgun by nature limits your range, that is a good thing.

Loaded with #4 buck it is pretty good for any use, especially dogs and coyotes. You aim downward and try not to skip a bunch of shot around the hood.

Inside, high cap handguns and 20 round mags in AR's are fine by me.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    great thread. I just was looking at cheap shotguns today. I am going to get a single shot new england soon and I wont feel outgunned with my pistol on my hip and wife with her pistol covering me.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Frankly I am so impressed with my shotguns, I see little reason to setup my AR for home defense.

I am going to put a competition type AR toghether, but for now, all HD duties are served by my 870 Wingmaster and the converted Saiga 12.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso

I am not following the logic of your argument.

Let's say a homeowner has two choices of weapons for him to use for home defense, an inexpensive pump shotgun & an expensive tricked out AR, with either one being more than capable of doing the job required of it.

Yet the homeowner would rather risk having his expensive tricked out AR confiscated (perhaps never to be returned or even destroyed) instead of his inexpensive shotgun? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

I think what groovatron is saying, to paraphrase, is that he would rather have his expensive firearm sitting in an evidence locker after having killed the BG, because he is more comfortable in using that particular weapon, rather than him being six feet under and having the BG's gun in an evidence locker.

....makes sense to me. But I would be comfortable with my relatively inexpensive but highly reliable pump 12 Ga. in the house.:twocents:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    great thread. I just was looking at cheap shotguns today. I am going to get a single shot new england soon and I wont feel outgunned with my pistol on my hip and wife with her pistol covering me.
    Why go with a single when you can get a good used pump for $150? Heck I saw a Stevens pump listed for $120 on the classified section of this forum go unsold for several months. (Though I'm guessing the seller should have bumped the thread more often) When he dropped the price to $100 it sold before I could make an offer.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/firearms/57085-wts_two_shotguns_older.html

goldie89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    havent found a gun out with the same recoil for a reasonable price and rack of the pump will scare the intruder away.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCv0X6SqUg]YouTube - Art of the Dynamic Shotgun Trailer - Magpul Dynamics[/ame]

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    rack of the pump will scare the intruder away.

Dream on...now they know you are awake and armed...they may start shooting walls and doors without caring where or who the bullets hit.

The first time a intruder will know I am armed is when he hears the gun going off. Of course that is if he is stupid enough to be in my house after my other HD preps have been activated...99% would leave long before getting to my bedroom with everything going on when I hit the remote switches.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Your firearms are not magic talismans that use voodoo to scare away the repeatedly stupid criminal. The racking of the shotgun seems pretty silly to me. Yes, I agree that it sounds intimidating... to someone smart enough to know that stealing is wrong, bad and is often punishable by death... but isn't it just as silly or stupid as unnecessarily racking a handgun to 'intimidate' the bad guy?

Before he died, my dog knew the sound of a shotgun slide racking and he didn't like it. This is not about being smart enough to mechanically process engineering specs in relation to sound and make a moral judgment on it. This is about unexpected sounds in the middle of the night - sounds that surprise would be perps. I told someone before that the best part about carrying a gun as a legal armed citizen is a dark alley goes both ways. A shotgun slide racking in the night says, "You don't got the drop on me, I know you're there and I'm more ready than you."

Top Bottom