Do I have to brake for someone coming into my lane?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My wife is not originally from Indiana, but she said this state is filled with drivers who feel it imperative to sit on the bumper of the car directly in front of them to prevent anyone else from merging or entering that lane.

So let's say it is heavy traffic and you are 30 feet from the back bumper of the car in front of you. Invariably some yahoo will zip into that space and suddenly you are 5 feet from the bumper of the car in front of you. Sometimes following closely is being a pr... and sometimes it is just safer.

Another spot to avoid is the blind spot of the driver beside you. Either move up a little or move back but don't hang out there in the invisible zone.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    So let's say it is heavy traffic and you are 30 feet from the back bumper of the car in front of you. Invariably some yahoo will zip into that space and suddenly you are 5 feet from the bumper of the car in front of you. Sometimes following closely is being a pr... and sometimes it is just safer.

Another spot to avoid is the blind spot of the driver beside you. Either move up a little or move back but don't hang out there in the invisible zone.

Believe me, I understand where you're coming from.

I also think there are drivers who tailgate just to prevent anyone else from merging into their lane (like from an interstate on ramp). Almost like they can't be bothered to let a merging driver into their precious lane.

I just opt to give plenty of distance and try to drive as defensively as possible. I try to look for those cars bobbing and weaving coming up behind me and try to anticipate they will enter my lane and cut off my distance between me and the car in front of me. Or try to see cars coming up on my sides and try to anticipate their moves.

I'm not being judgmental. There's different strokes for different folks. My beef is with those people who refuse to let traffic merge into their lane.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    This very thing happened to my daughter just a few months ago on I-69, a fellow realized too late he was going to miss his exit, panicked, and merged into my daughter's lane hitting her. He admitted at the accident site what happened. However, the police report only included the basic details of what had happened. Fortunately, the guy was decent and also told the insurance companies that it was his fault. I got the impression from the insurance reps that it probably would have been split 50-50 if he had not admitted fault to them. So to answer your question, it would all depend on whether the person who hit you will admit to what happened.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    This quote reminded me of this story a few years back about State Troopers trying to combat tailgaters.

Technology helps troopers track tailgaters - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

My wife is not originally from Indiana, but she said this state is filled with drivers who feel it imperative to sit on the bumper of the car directly in front of them to prevent anyone else from merging or entering that lane.

Me, I just lay off, relax, and enjoy the ride home listening to some sweet tunes.

I normally drive in the slow lane on my way home, but when I get to my street I need to move over into the passing lane so that I can turn left. I have found that it is best not to use a turn signal but rather just suddenly force my way in. If you use a turn signal, people will speed up and prevent you from switching lanes. It is frustrating to be forced to do it the unsafe way.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

It is threads like these that really really really make me think about spending the money on a dashcam!

A one time expenditure of assets could save a lifetime of grief.

Doug

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    This very thing happened to my daughter just a few months ago on I-69, a fellow realized too late he was going to miss his exit, panicked, and merged into my daughter's lane hitting her. He admitted at the accident site what happened. However, the police report only included the basic details of what had happened. Fortunately, the guy was decent and also told the insurance companies that it was his fault. I got the impression from the insurance reps that it probably would have been split 50-50 if he had not admitted fault to them. So to answer your question, it would all depend on whether the person who hit you will admit to what happened.

I have no idea regarding the legalities of this for use by one insurance company against another, but my insurance agent advised me to start an audio recorder if I'm involved in an accident. And if not at fault, simply ask the other driver why they did what they did, and be specific about the action going into as much detail as possible. She said if the at fault driver admits to being the responsible party, you have it on tape. She said she's used such audio files when negotiating with the opposing insurance company.

This advice would be further supported by a separate insurance company that my father uses, and they asked him if he had any video or audio recording during the accident or immediately after the accident - he did not and thought it odd - until we talked about it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Could be difficult to prove who was at fault. We do have a responsibility to drive defensively and do what we can to be safe and avoid accidents. There may not be a specific code for this type of action but lawyers can always play the negligence card with most any "accident."

It's just like merging onto the expressway. If I am on the expressway, I do not have to move over into the left lane. Technically the person merging should be adjusting their speed to either get in front of me or drop in behind. But most people have forgotten or never learned that, so I move over. Which creates another whole set of situations that I won't get into now.

You did the right thing by avoiding an accident. No matter whose fault it is, they are no fun for anyone.

Really? I was told by a cop in drivers Ed that the vehicle on the on ramp, merging onto the interstate, always has the right of way.

Edit: never mind. I remembered that incorrectly.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    People do this everyday to me at Post and Washington so they aren't stuck behind an empty bus. I let them in but some leave no room to spare.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    :+1:

And you will both pay for it. Don't believe me, get hit and watch your premiums mysteriously raise 6 months later.
    And that right there is the truth, and a bunch of crap. I hadn't had a claim for 6 years, I catch a semi retread on 70 one morning and mess up my front bumper cover, turn it in and up go the rates...

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I hit a lady in a similar situation, she wasnt merging over but pulling out of a driveway. I hit her and got the ticket because I hit her with the front of my car. I was OBVIOUSLY driving too fast to control my vehicle..... gotta love it. I thought for sure I was getting off since she was pulling out.

By that subjective rule, I would say if you were merged into the side of your car you may be okay. if you hit the merging car with the front of your vehicle you may be getting the ticket.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    "had I not slown down" You should be written a ticket for that alone.

No.

I'm going the legal speed limit and in the correct lane. You are to control your car/truck in your lane and not hit others who are obeying the rules of the road and know where they want to go.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As many have stated, insurance or civil lawsuits set fault. That said, if I were writing the accident up the primary cause would be unsafe lane movement/failure to maintain a lane of travel (assuming that's still an option) and any tickets written would go to her for the same thing.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    People do this everyday to me at Post and Washington so they aren't stuck behind an empty bus. I let them in but some leave no room to spare.
    Southbound Post Rd from Washington St? That is a race track for the right lane that merges into the left. I had a crash there not long ago where a pick-up was pulling a box trailer in the right lane and a semi in the left. The pickup tried to get ahead of the semi and when he merged, the box trailer clipped the front of the semi. The pick-up driver wanted to place blame on the semi driver since he didn't give him enough room to merge. It took a lot of explaining on my part to educate the pick-up driver that HE is responsible to the crash since the semi had the right-of-way. I went on to tell him that if it looked too close to merge, slow down and let the semi pass. He looked at me like I was crazy. The concept was foreign to him. It's very common to see this same struggle between vehicles at this intersection going on every day.

bucktowner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2014
    bloomington
    My only comment is that my wife got me a dash cam for Christmas this year (perhaps because I told her what I wanted and where to get it).

Cheap, but works good for my purposes. $40 at walmart. Pilot automotive dash cam.

I just hope that I never ever have to refer to it as "evidence". I actually think that I drive more defensive now, since my actions are being recorded.

Top Bottom