Do I have to brake for someone coming into my lane?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Yes Denny, that is the one! I'm surprised there aren't more wrecks there more often. I love the people who use the right lane to get in front of everyone else (cars/buses/trucks) just to slam on the brakes to turn on that first street south of Hobbs headed west or just a bit further to turn on Burk.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You've got a horn, an accelerator and a finger... use them.
    This. I'd yell obseneties at her as if she could hear them, while laying on the horn and using all the rude hand gestures I know.

BTW I wish I had come up with that line.
    So let's say it is heavy traffic and you are 30 feet from the back bumper of the car in front of you. Invariably some yahoo will zip into that space and suddenly you are 5 feet from the bumper of the car in front of you. Sometimes following closely is being a pr... and sometimes it is just safer.

Another spot to avoid is the blind spot of the driver beside you. Either move up a little or move back but don't hang out there in the invisible zone.
    We are so on the same page.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I don't understand why people don't allow others to merge anymore. Why get all pissed off? Why not just take a deep breath, let off the gas a bit and let people in once in a while. The reason people have to cut in all the time is because nobody lets you merge in this state. I don't get it.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I don't understand why people don't allow others to merge anymore. Why get all pissed off? Why not just take a deep breath, let off the gas a bit and let people in once in a while. The reason people have to cut in all the time is because nobody lets you merge in this state. I don't get it.

Not sure if this was directed at the OP(me) or not, but just in case it was, I wasn't "blocking" her. I was just driving like normal and the lady came over. I didn't even notice her coming over until her tires had already crossed the dashed lines.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Not sure if this was directed at the OP(me) or not, but just in case it was, I wasn't "blocking" her. I was just driving like normal and the lady came over. I didn't even notice her coming over until her tires had already crossed the dashed lines.

No, not at you directly. Just an observation I notice here in Indiana. It seems like when people try to merge here most of us seem to act like it's a hostile act and start road raging about it. In the South, when you throw on your blinker it seems like people always let you merge over in their lane and are happy to do it.

Glad you were paying attention and weren't distracted at the time though, it could've been worse :thumbsup:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    No, not at you directly. Just an observation I notice here in Indiana. It seems like when people try to merge here most of us seem to act like it's a hostile act and start road raging about it. In the South, when you throw on your blinker it seems like people always let you merge over in their lane and are happy to do it.

Glad you were paying attention and weren't distracted at the time though, it could've been worse :thumbsup:

That's because in the South, most likely its your lover/cousin wanting to get in your lane.

:D

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    To the original and overarching theme of this thread:

There have been PLENTY of times where I've "fantasized" about just going ahead and letting an accident happen in this fashion.

Let someone clip me as they merge in or change lanes.

But my self-preservation instincts kick in every single time and I chicken-out. Especially when it's an 18-wheeler. And especially especially now that I'm hitched up and have two young kids.

Maybe one day when I'm quite old and can afford super high insurance and car repair costs, I'll let it happen. But only if I have a dashcam or 8 running all the time.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC

Here in the cold north, blinkers ( turn signals) or any other signal obviously work very infrequently, or can't be operated because our hands are occupied with cell phones. I rarely see turn signals when someone is wanting to merge. We rely more on telepathy, or call the person we want to merge in front of (advantage of using cell phone while driving.) We also can't leave enough room for someone to merge or else we will be .001 second later to our destination.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I commute ~30 miles on a busy interstate every day, through typically heavy, often stop-and-go traffic. I just want to get there as quickly and safely as possible. I try to be courteous and let people in. Sometimes being nice has no negative impact on my journey. Sometimes it's one of those drivers who think they need to regulate stop-and-go traffic by allowing 30 car lengths between them and the car in front of them. So instead of "regulating" traffic, they just let the adjacent lane take advantage of the large gap at my expense. So by letting that one car merge in front of me, under stop-and-go conditions, I'm now much, much further back from where I would have been because the jackwagon still tries to keep the gap at 30 car lengths. That adds up to a lot of minutes added to my already long trip.

So whether I let someone in depends on the circumstances. If there's plenty of room behind me and and you try to edge into that 1/2 car length in front of me, no. You're just not. If I've noticed that you tend to leave a very large gap between you and the next car, nope. If you seem like the kind of person who wants to get to the destination, and doesn't act like the journey itself is the destination, I'll probably let you in.

Now Southern drivers. yeah. I lived in Mississippi for several years. There the journey is the destination. Here, for most people, the journey is the process we must endure to get to the destination, and the destination is the destination.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    A few months ago I finally came to the realization that all the other drivers around me couldn't hear all the great advice I was trying to give them. So, to reduce my stress I now:
    1. Focus on the road ahead
    2. Check rear view mirror just often enough to check for Emergency vehicles
    3. Only check side mirrors when changing lanes (after signaling)
    4. Keep 1 car length behind for every 10mph
    5. Drive with the flow of traffic

and most importantly drive POS cars

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The highways and roadways of America are filled with dumbass drivers. Don't be one. Avoid all the others. Drive like they are trying to kill you....

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    In 2005 I was coming home from Cincy, I was on I-74 in the left lane doing 75...the limit was 70... a small pickup truck came up behind me at a high rate of speed, flashing headlights and giving me the Hawaiian Love Signal....so I just move over to the right, they flip me off and go on down the road. 15 minutes later I was coming up to the Greensburg exit, and saw the truck upside down on the side of the road, and two men laying in the roadway. A semi had pulled over and already called 911. The two guys from the pickup were dead. They had almost run into the back of the semi, swerved to avoid the big truck, lost control and wrecked.

I never get in a hurry driving, and I always let the other guy go around me. Oh, wear your seatbelt.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The highways and roadways of America are filled with dumbass drivers. Don't be one. Avoid all the others. Drive like they are trying to kill you....

Yet getting a drivers license anywhere in this country is treated like a RIGHT and getting permission to carry a handgun is (incorrectly) threated like a privilege. Seems odd when more people are killed by licensed drivers of cars than by licensed carriers of handguns.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

People are too distracted, self-absorbed, egotistical, or just plain passively inconsiderate to let people merge. I do my best to make sure others can move and others can let others merge - like moving in the left lane to let someone (e.g. a semi) move into the center lane.

The guy from Auburn today seemed to do everything possible to prevent someone from merging, which messed me up because I was trying to exit.

Now, to the contrary, others can merge recklessly. It's not worth it on a full cloverleaf. Just do a "missed approach" procedure, exit immediately, and loop around.

attachment.php

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    On my morning and evening commute, I almost always have a semi trying to make a lane change ahead of me into my lane. I do my best to lay back, flip my brights a few times to let him/her know they've got me clear and to come on over. About that time, some inattentive, self-consumed driver comes flying up and comes right over with no signal and almost hits the semi. This is an almost daily occurrence.

I honestly don't know how you big wheel drivers do it. I would want to beat the living **** out of most drivers on the road if I had to do what you guys/gals do every day.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You've got a horn, an accelerator and a finger... use them.

I had to upgrade the horn on my car because it was nearly useless...

This. I'd yell obseneties at her as if she could hear them, while laying on the horn and using all the rude hand gestures I know...

Is it a smart move in today's day and age to antagonize other drivers?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Is it a smart move in today's day and age to antagonize other drivers?

I will say that's it not wise to do so while carrying a gun.

I question anyone that carries a gun that gets road rage, and actualky considers getting into an accident with the other driver.

Top Bottom