• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    So,Since getting into guns in the last couple months I think I may be going overboard. My collection consists of a Ruger SR9 ( love it! ), high point .380 ( hate it) , 870 express (never shot), Ruger 10/22 (never shot) and a Mosin Nagant.

What I want is a .45 handgun now. I am not biased when it comes to make, just want something that works every time and is decently priced. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I suggest actually SHOOTING some of your firearms.

Until you commit to that, don't drag any other unfortunate victims into the lonely hell of sitting unfired in your safe.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Yes, you have the "fever"... No known cure except to become a liberal-Democrat. But to do that you have to have at least 75% of your brain excised like Joe Biden did.

I have two .45's and I like them both:

1) Glock 21 Gen 2. The Glock 21 has a 13 rd magazine capacity so it's BIG but that's a good thing for putting multiple shots right on target.

2) Springfield XDs. Amazingly small handgun and it's a .45! I handled one a few months back and just had to have one. Holds only 5+1 but there is just so much you can do in such a small package.

Lots of folks love the 1911 style .45s. Not my preference but many of these are excellent handguns in every sense of the word.

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    I've run a few hundred rounds through both the SR9 and Highpoint. It's just been to cold to be outside with the others.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Try the Rock Island Armory 1911's. As for the high point, consider that your first (hopefully last) huge mistake in firearms. ALWAYS research first.. for .380 replacement look at the Bersa 380 thunder, great shooter for the price.

Personally id grab a .45 and sit still and collect ammo when and if you can. and of course shoot those things!!

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I've run a few hundred rounds through both the SR9 and Highpoint. It's just been to cold to be outside with the others.

So you only may possibly need to use your firearm in warmer weather?! No seriously, train in cold too. Every think about your gloves and shooting? Are you always bare handed?

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    My main problem with shooting outside right now is the distance I have to drive. My closest friend with the space is an hour away. That's the main drawback of having a lifted Jeep, gas sucks!

I haven't tried shooting with gloves but I should be going after work tomorrow so I will give it a go.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    I feel that pain. I've purchased a Nagant and an SKS just in the last week (waiting on delivery of both). The down side is that I need to find a place that will allow me to use them since I know 0 people with enough land.

Still have a .357 wheel gun, lever gun, and a shotgun on my list to get. At least it's a lot easier to find places to use those along with the XD-9 I shoot every chance I get.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Yes, you have the "fever"... No known cure except to become a liberal-Democrat. But to do that you have to have at least 75% of your brain excised like Joe Biden did.
    ***************Snip*************.

With fully 100% of your brain engaged you get the 'fever' and obsess about guns and self defense. Finally, you've uncovered the real direction of evolution!:rockwoot:.

p.s. Get a shotgun smartass!

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    So, how much do you want for your 870? :D

Hopefully not 700 bucks like the one in the classifieds! Another 50 poster, thinking he can capitilize on everyone.

to the OP, Congrats on your new addiction. I was addicted to cars for a while, then motorcycles (I thought THAT was an expensive addiction) and now guns! The most expensive addiction you can have. Have fun with it, and SHOOT MORE!!!

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    S
    I am not biased when it comes to make, just want something that works every time and is decently priced. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

1st.... get a 1911 to suit your .45ACP needs. I know... as a new gun owner, those black plastic guns that hold a ton of rounds are "COOL"... but trust me... they won't be cool when you shoot steel framed gun with a nice trigger.

2ndly... take your 10/22, buy a sling, an extra mag and a brick of ammo... and sign up for an Appleseed. Appleseeds are all over the state and all year long. Once you do that, all of a sudden guns become much more fun to own and you will have a better idea that what gun you own isn't nearly as valuable as how well you can shoot it. Its probably the cheapest training you can buy right now.

Other than that... INGO is an awesome place! There are so many knowledgeable members that collectively they can answer just about anything you need. Welcome to the forum...

thabombsquad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Logansport
    you have the fever for sure. i spend AT least an hour or two a day between here, armslist, and some fb gun classified groups. as far as a 45 goes depends on your budget. 1911s are great, some can be pricey though. im a glock guy so i always suggest a glock. glock 30s are the perfect size for both shooting and carry. i know taurus is hit or miss with their guns but they have a 45 called a pt 145. You can pick one of those up new for $400 ish dollars. good luck and welcome to the obsession!!!

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    If you like your SR9 that much, (and I understand why you would - I have an SR9c) look for a Ruger SR45. Very similar to the rest of the SR series pistols.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There's several indoor ranges in Indianapolis. Its probably cheaper to drive down to BGF and rent a lane for an hour than drive a lifted Jeep for an hour.

I can think of lots and lots and lots of great .45s, but "decently priced" means different things to different people. Throw a dollar figure out there and give me an idea.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    So,Since getting into guns in the last couple months I think I may be going overboard. My collection consists of a Ruger SR9 ( love it! ), high point .380 ( hate it) , 870 express (never shot), Ruger 10/22 (never shot) and a Mosin Nagant.

What I want is a .45 handgun now. I am not biased when it comes to make, just want something that works every time and is decently priced. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Rookie, it should be a state of mind. :D:D Keep buying.

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    There's several indoor ranges in Indianapolis. Its probably cheaper to drive down to BGF and rent a lane for an hour than drive a lifted Jeep for an hour.

I can think of lots and lots and lots of great .45s, but "decently priced" means different things to different people. Throw a dollar figure out there and give me an idea.

I'm looking at spending no more than $600 - $700 for the 45. $500 would be about right for now though.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm looking at spending no more than $600 - $700 for the 45. $500 would be about right for now though.
    For around $700 you can get a Springfield .45 1911. Good guns, fair triggers and dependable. For another $50 you can grab up a nice Kimber Custom 2. Excellent triggers, super accurate guns.
    Most of the cheap import 1911s are decent guns BUT BUT BUT you'll find a high percentage you will have to work on to make them work and be dependable.
    You do get what you pay for.
    Glocks are dependable guns. They don't fit me or at the very least I don't want them to fit me. To me they're like an old Volvo. Square, ugly, but they do a great job.
    I like a GOOD 1911 in .45acp. Millions of us 1911 freaks won't have anything else for a reason.
    Training is a must. Good training makes all your guns cheaper and more dependable.
    Shoot what you have as much as you can afford to and get very familiar with them.
    And this addiction as you call it....It's not an addiction, it's good taste, class, and common sense.
    ALSO....1911s are very addictive.

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree with halfmileharry. I just bought a Ruger SR1911 a while back and it is my favorite to shoot. Except for the price to shoot.

Top Bottom