• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    -13 actual temp in NW IN right now. I'm not leaving mine unattended. As soon as they do what they need to do, I'm bringing them in and then doing a headcount to make sure I see all four inside. And I ALWAYS do a headcount before bed and before we leave the house. Of course, mine are all fairly small (under 25 lbs) which can make somewhat of a difference.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Used to have a boxer. We did an early morning 2 mile walk every day. When the temp got below 20 degrees he would hit the brakes in the driveway and look up at me. I'd let him back in the house and walk on my own. On the other extreme, it would be 90 degrees and he would lay on the deck in full sun. Think it helped his aging joints.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    My wife has 2 small dog like creatures (Chihuahuas) and they are funny this time of year. We will move the gate and open the door, which means time to go outside. They will run at top speed until they hit the deck. At that time they hits the breaks, skid to a stop and give you a WTF look. They quickly take care of business and beat feet to the back door.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    My wife has 2 small dog like creatures (Chihuahuas) and they are funny this time of year. We will move the gate and open the door, which means time to go outside. They will run at top speed until they hit the deck. At that time they hits the breaks, skid to a stop and give you a WTF look. They quickly take care of business and beat feet to the back door.

Yeah, that's what ours do.
    They are out and do their business and back inside within a minute flat or less.
    In the summer you can't get them to come inside as they want to sun themselves on the lawn.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Std poodle and stumpy golden. Not to worry as they came back after only 5 minutes. I guess they are not stupid. They usually will stay out much longer, and the golden loves the snow.

1229927_887624306670_1748164370_n.jpg
    1452051_887624296690_646115779_n.jpg
    625476_887624336610_587854510_n.jpg

Ooops! They're out again to play with the neighbors dog (thru the fence). Well, at least the sun came out!

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My Akita, who loves snow and cold weather, was hunkered down in the yard. She would live outside all day if we let her do so. She was there too long for my comfort so I called her in. Its about 150' from the spot she claims as her own by the fence, to our kitchen door. She trotted about 1/2 the distance back then stopped. Held up 1 paw in the air. Then another. I think they started to freeze? I ran out to help her in, she started running again and is now on her dog bed warm and comfy.

Akitas are big furry cold weather dogs and she got cold. If you have a house dog, don't leave it outside. Its still below ZERO out there.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    This time after 15 min I had to call them in. The golden limped a bit. I removed the ice lumps and warmed her paws. She's running around the house shedding everywhere and shaking a toy. Guess she's OK. The poodle is a bit more reserved. I like big dogs.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    15yr old Pomeranian walks about 5ft from the back door does his business does a about face and wants right back in. Hate to admit this but best dog I've ever had. Mind's better than the kid's.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I have a chow mix. He trots right out in the snow no matter how cold it is and then looks back as if to say "Aren't you coming?". He's pretty old now but when he was younger he absolutely LOVED to play in the snow...the deeper the better. Even a dog like mine can't take these temps too long. He's still a pet and not equipped to live in the wild.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yeah. Lucy, one of my Eskies, will bark and point her head out toward the yard, as if to tell me "Come on! Let's play!"

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Our two 5 pound Jack Russell pups know exactly how long to be out. It's like they are racing to see who can get business taken care of first.

I used to have a male basset hound that was the worlds greatest rabbit dog, until there was 2 inches of snow. Then he lost all motivation. I guess if I was hunting with the family jewels dragging in the snow, I would lose motivation too.;)

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    Our labrador always found the last pile of unmelted snow to lay on. He would raise his paws when it was really cold outside and I never left him out any longer than necessary.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Fixed that for you. Single digit temps, windchill well below zero, bring your dog inside whether it lives outside or not.

I have had dogs, living on a farm...that you could not hardly FORCE, to come in the house. At any temperature.A dog house protected from the wind, filled with straw was all they needed. They would not even hunker down in that at night..they preferred to be out and about barking at the coyotes!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    My two, a 45 lb Lab/Border Collie mix and a 100+ lb Lab/Pit/something else mix, both spend about half their time outdoors, regardless of the weather. I keep an eye on them and dont let them stay out too long, although neither seem to be bothered by the cold at all. They just curl up on mats we've put on the front porch for them.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I had to carry my 2 dogs outside just to pee this morning because they know how cold it is. Just like snapdragon said -13.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Wifes Pomeranian you let him out and 5 min later he's standing at the back door shaking and whining. I told her many times she babies him. Had a German Shepard growing up. We had a fenced in back yard you let her out she'll go head first into the snow and have fun all day

Top Bottom