Do confiscated firearms get returned to owners?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Not only was mine stolen but was also used in an armed robbery!

The police contacted me and assisted me in keeping track of it during court procedings and returned it to me!

Class ACTS!!!

leveraction

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    near camp atterbury
    :ingo: in my case they did, however it took a while.
    the sheriff that took care of it in columbus,was probably very busy is why,
    but he treated me very well,and even kept some oil on the guns.I think in most cases you would get them back unless you were a danger to yourself or others,or got convicted of a felony.
    However Im sure some people have run across problems when they should not have,keep in mind police officers are very busy people.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I had several firearms stolen from my home during a break in back in 1988,I live in Ft
    Wayne & so far they have recovered 4 of them( out of 12). 3 was within the first year of the robbery but the last one was returned to me last year,it actually was in the evidence locker but fell behind the shelves .It was there since 1995 & when they ran the serial no. & I had a late christmas present. 2 of the guns were recovered in drug raids ,1 was skidded across the street in effort to hide it during a suspicious person call & one was used in a suicide.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    OK

Yes. Someone stole his gun. He reported it stolen. Police recover it and do not make an effort to contact the him. He calls PD and discovers they have had his firearm for 3 months. He then goes and picks it up. Poor follow up IMO.

I apparently misinterpreted the post. If so, I apologize and agree he should have been contacted. Nonetheless, you're gonna' have to go in and prove it's your gun. There's no other way to make sure it gets returned to the correct person.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    There was a neat article in one of the local papers several years ago about a guy getting a gun back that had been stolen 20+ years prior. His wife/then girlfriend bought him a Ruger Blackhawk, .41 mag, 4 5/8 barrel in the late 60's before he shipped to Vietnam. It was stolen in the early 80's. It was recovered in a drug bust in Oregon in 2005 and returned to him. There was a picture of the guy holding the gun and smiling on the front page. In the article he said he remembered carrying it in a pack in Vietnam and having to use it once when he ran out of ammo. That must have been a real hairy situation.

Top Bottom