• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    So I'm looking to get out of the Ar-15 game. How would one go about selling in the current market? I don't want to sell to low just for someone else to go make a profit and I need to raise funds for school. But I also don't want to "gouge". Is it offensive to price it on the high side but add "OBO"? I figure that way if you don't like the price you can make an offer.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Just post the gun and see what comes of it. if noone bites, then lower price a little and see what happens. or try to find a similar gun and price it from there..

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    So I'm looking to get out of the Ar-15 game. How would one go about selling in the current market? I don't want to sell to low just for someone else to go make a profit and I need to raise funds for school. But I also don't want to "gouge". Is it offensive to price it on the high side but add "OBO"? I figure that way if you don't like the price you can make an offer.

Do you not have any friends or family that are interested? Someone you know won't flip it? If you do, add up total out of pocket costs to you, add 10% and call it a day.

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    I've though about the gun-broker route but I would like to give ingo first dibs. I'm looking to get rid of over 1000 rounds of pmc xtac, 6 Pmags, a decent rifle with Magpul parts, and a chest rig. I've posted on armslist but all the emails I've received seemed like scammers.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    ill give ya a nickle!!! :D but seriously, look on gunbroker/armslist and here to see what the current trend price of your model is and price somewhat lower than those. Enough to make it look like a deal but not so much that a person can make a big profit.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    There is no such thing as "gouging" for a non-essential commodity. And an AR15 is definitely non-essential.

Is your basic AR worth $2000? Probably not ... at least in normal times. But, if someone wants it bad enough and has more cash than they know what to do with (yes, those people exist), sell it without guilt.

I sold mine to another dealer at a good markup and I know he marked it up further before he sold it. But, I had other items I wanted to purchase (an H&K P2K and another 1911), so I was happy, the other dealer was happy and the ultimate customer got the best AR made, so he's happy.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A buyer will pay what it's worth to them. If all buyers think you are too high, you will not get any offers or they will send offers for less than your asking price.

Be transparent on what the buyer is purchasing, and after the sale you will not feel bad about the price paid.

How much to ask? Look at market, yes, but also look at what you have in it and what kind of profit margin you would be happy with.

I sold mine at a decent profit margin but still under market. I was able to build mine for less than the market before the panic, so I was glad to give a fellow Ingoer a nice AR at a nice price.

As far as whether they will sell it and make money, that has nothing to do with you. Once you sell something, let it go. You should not care what the new owner does with it.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'll take it if you can wait for a few weeks and don't mind letting it go for under $1000. :D
    Seriously though, I sold my lower because I needed to pay bills and asked what I put into it. If you're selling it on INGO, check their feedback.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Do you not have any friends or family that are interested? Someone you know won't flip it? If you do, add up total out of pocket costs to you, add 10% and call it a day.
    Can I buy all your guns for 10% more than you paid? DUH, IMHO (and I am not a seller) He should price his AR for what the market will pay. A firearm is more than a "hobby" it is an investment. Show me any Chinese SKS's on the market for $100 (in the box with all the extras) - I paid as I recall $89 for a couple, you sure as Hexx aren't going to buy them for $100 now. Got any gold that you bought for $400 an ounce - I'll even give you $500. You are only "gouging" if you sell someone something at way more than market price. Right now it is a sellers market and he should sell it for way more than he paid for it.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    I would try to sell for as much as I thought I could get for it. If somebody wants to get their panties in a bunch over it, who cares? Nothing wrong with negotiating hard whether buying or selling. It's called freedom. Profit is not an evil thing, despite what the marxists currently running our country might try to tell you.

Glocker 400

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    There is no such thing as "gouging" for a non-essential commodity. And an AR15 is definitely non-essential.

A bit off topic, but do you know how many INGO threads you could kill with this simple and true statement? Wish everyone realized this simple truth.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    You could post it on here for what you want and put the OBO. Nothing wrong with that. Or go the consignment route if you have a local gun shop that does that.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    There is no gouging in this market, fair market value is whatever someone will pay

Exactly. It's worth what it is worth to anyone. The seller just needs to decide if he wants to sell to the person who values it more than someone else.

I don't know why anyone thinks there can be "gouging" going on. You aren't selling air or water.

Top Bottom