Disturbing trend of the day:states now arresting people for taking video of police

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well thats a bunch of crap. Can you seriously just make up laws as you see fit...seriously. They wouldnt need that law if the cops would do there jobs and quit puttin the boot to people.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    One of these days some cop somewhere is going to step on the wrong neck and his whole department will end up in a shooting war they never saw coming.

And I won't have a single ounce of sympathy for them.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    As long as taking those photos or videos in no way, shape or form interferes with the officer doing his/her duty, it should be allowed. I would imagine that there would be some people who might get a little cockier or more brazen and resist arrest if they new that they were being photographed by someone other than the police. This would not be a good thing as it would on aggrevate an already tense situation. Just my two cents.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    You know something. I'm not an overly educated person and I really don't feel this is a time when a huge brain will make a difference. Arresting people because "they embarras the police" is something more than ludacris. Marshall Law is not far behind my friends, be very careful out there and if you feel the need to record, you had damn well better make sure you can't be traced if you post it.

Just my two cents on a silly trend. If the cops did what they were supposed to do and not get butthurt because someone calls them out on poor behavior, then they wouldn't need to worry about being recorded.

Le Doug

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Any cop who has a problem being recorded by the general public doing his or her job is nothing more than a jack-booted thug who is on a power trip and wants to jack people up. Any cop who has NO problem being recorded by the general public doing his or her job is a fine person deserving of the position they have been put into.

INGunGuy

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    So are they breaking the law when you are being recorded on their dash cam? :dunno:

If they are in public they don't have a right to privacy.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    This seems a bit out of whack to me!

There is a concept in legal cases known as the "reasonable expectation of privacy" which limits where a law enforcement officer can snoop around because you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in certain places.

From Wikipedia:

"Examples of places where a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy are person's residence and public places which have been specifically provided by businesses or the public sector to ensure privacy, such as public restrooms, private portions of jailhouses, or a phone booth.

In general, one cannot have an expectation of privacy in public places, with the exceptions mentioned above."

Being out in public, it is understood that no one has a reasonable expectation of privacy and can be filmed or photographed by anyone.

Using wiretapping laws is stretching the issue a bit. Most people assume phone conversations are private (which is a reasonable expectation) and therefore must be informed in many states before their conversations can be recorded legally.

When acting in public, neither police, nor anyone else should claim to have a reasonable expectation of privacy since, by definition, they are standing in public!

Police should be subject to the same understanding that people have a right to film them out in the public eye. The laws mentioned which have been passed will, in my opinion, ultimately be struck down by the Supreme Court if they ever get that far.

Vanguard.45

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    It's kinda dense for anyone, Police included, to be upset over being taped outdoors at any time.
    I have seen satellite pictures of my house from Google Earth that clearly show people in the neighborhood doing lawn work, or what ever.
    It's virtually impossible to leave a private dwelling and not risk being recorded. Almost every store in the country records you from the time you enter until you leave, and many from the time you enter the parking lot.
    Just look your best and smile for the camera when you leave home. :)
    Mike

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Sounds like we all need to have helmet cams that do not record but rather stream video over the internet. Then if by coincidence someone watching that video wants to record it and post it somewhere...well that is out of my controll, good luck finding the guy that recorded it.

Top Bottom