• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sounds to me like you're trying to make it sound appealing. Would that be considered trying to convert someone? Go figure.

He stated what I believed to be an inaccurate understanding. Just as he stated his case for folks misunderstanding his beliefs, I felt like I had the same sort of opportunity present itself. Nothing more.

Now, if I can manage to write anything that might cause another person to come to Christ, I'll not be ashamed and I will not apologize. I look at it my like throwing out a life preserver to those adrift and possibly lost--either grab a hold and welcome on board, brother! -- or don't. I will will rejoice and celebrate for anybody that comes aboard and will morn for those that choose not to. It's up to you. I'm not forcing my beliefs on anybody that chooses to scroll by and ignore.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Side question: If Mitch Daniels is a RINO, who exaction is considered a true Republican?

That's a good point, at what point is the Republican party no more the sum of the candidates it puts forward. It's why we need more than two parties.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    When you talk to Arabs, the main complaints are:

1) US backing Israel while allowing them to continue to push Palestinians out
    2) US military never leaving once they get somewhere
    3) Innocents killed in drone strikes

My answers to those have been:
    1) Most Americans don't REALLY know what's going on any more than you (particular Arab) closely follow and look into the motivations in Russia V Ukraine or paid any attention to Rwanda. You care a lot because you know people affected and because it's on your doorstep. You know a lot more about the issue and get a lot more news coverage of it. So, tell me, who's right in the Russia V Ukraine and what are the underlying issues? Then I admit I don't know anything about the Ukraine thing either, that none of us pay attention to all conflicts and that what is important to one person may not be important to someone else. While there is a strong pro-Israel sentiment, few people are actively backing anything Israel does and news coverage certainly isn't balanced, but there are contingents for peace and who understand a bit more of the issues facing Palestine.

2) That this isn't true, we've left many places, but sometimes once you get there then you've got to stick around or make things worse by leaving a vacuum. I also point out Russian involvement in Syria and ask if they think if the US stayed home if Russia, Iran, and China would also stay home. They generally admit that this is unlikely. I then ask if they'd rather have the US meddling or Russian meddling. So far, we seem to be the preferred meddlers.

3) Probably not a good answer, but poo happens in war and sometimes the targets intentionally use innocents to shield them. Sometimes you have to kill to make peace, and killing warlords and the prime movers behind insurrections results in less over all death and suffering then leaving them be. Mohammed killed tribes that threatened his people and spared tribes that did not, would he not have used drone strikes to kill chieftains and not have to fight through the rank and file to get to the leadership? I can't argue we shouldn't use drone strikes, I think targeted assassination is preferable to ground warfare for everyone but those targeted for assassination.

Numbers are meaningless to people, we learn through and relate to narratives. Reframing the narrative and giving a new perspective works pretty well. A viable two state solution for Israel/Palestine, a homeland for the Kurds (sort of done via the autonomous region in Iraq), and time to figure out the transition to more democratic styles of government are going to help. Transitioning to democracy, especially for a people completely unused to it, is not a quick or clean task. Even the US had rebellions and serious questions on how things would work after our Revolution.

I'm really surprised that some form of partitioning of Iraq (other than the sort Daesh is attempting) hasn't already occurred. I know Turkey wouldn't like a de facto Kurdistan but se la vie.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm really surprised that some form of partitioning of Iraq (other than the sort Daesh is attempting) hasn't already occurred. I know Turkey wouldn't like a de facto Kurdistan but se la vie.

As far as I understand we just don't want to upset Turkey, being a buffer between Europe and the ME. I'd be interested to see the other arguments against something like this that makes so much sense. What do we have to gain keeping these artificial boundaries propped up ?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I knew it!!!!!! Ya filthy hippie.....:):):)

(Note to mods the numerous smiley faces and referencing jludo and I's year long debate over the existence of something larger than ourselves...It is a joke to jludo and I am sure he knows that but just in case here is another smiley face...:))

And now that I know jludos age his arguments sound suspiciously like the ones I made at his age....Interesting.....

You broke the fourth wall :)

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    That's a good point, at what point is the Republican party no more the sum of the candidates it puts forward. It's why we need more than two parties.

As I've stated before, I don't consider myself a republican or a democrat. I have my own values and sometimes both parties share some of my values, but each party always seems to constantly push it's own agenda, and I can never seem to agree on all the pushing points for one party or another.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As far as I understand we just don't want to upset Turkey, being a buffer between Europe and the ME. I'd be interested to see the other arguments against something like this that makes so much sense. What do we have to gain keeping these artificial boundaries propped up ?

Yes. There have been 3 state solutions proposed for Iraq, but the Turks and Kurds issues is an obstacle.

Side note, this is part of the narrative we need pushed in the ME. Turkish PM accuses Russia of 'ethnic cleansing' in Syria | Reuters

Someone is going to mettle, better us then the Russians.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Now, if I can manage to write anything that might cause another person to come to Christ, I'll not be ashamed and I will not apologize. I look at it my like throwing out a life preserver to those adrift and possibly lost--either grab a hold and welcome on board, brother! -- or don't. I will will rejoice and celebrate for anybody that comes aboard and will morn for those that choose not to. It's up to you. I'm not forcing my beliefs on anybody that chooses to scroll by and ignore.

Brother, You and I both know that coming to Christ is a surrender...It's hard to explain but you know what I mean...

I try to bring people in by a word here or there and using history and science....My brother laughs at me and says I am the only Christian he knows that witnesses with out the book and by appealing to the intellectual side of the Faith...

The goal is sweet surrender to something larger than oneself....BBI and I have spent hours talking and have never once (that I am aware of) had a cross word...You and I have done the same...I can promise you this as I know you both...You two would get along just fine...I mean that....

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The exception to that statement is that I don't see any future in voting L, but rather preventing a hand-picked candidate, picked by either the establishment or the media, to be shoved down our throats making the general election largely irrelevant. I would emphasize that this is the reason why Trump is so popular. Even people who wouldn't consider him a top pick all things being equal see him as the hammer to break the establishment chokehold on the nomination process.

View attachment 43413

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Brother, You and I both know that coming to Christ is a surrender...It's hard to explain but you know what I mean...

I try to bring people in by a word here or there and using history and science....My brother laughs at me and says I am the only Christian he knows that witnesses with out the book and by appealing to the intellectual side of the Faith...

The goal is sweet surrender to something larger than oneself....BBI and I have spent hours talking and have never once (that I am aware of) had a cross word...You and I have done the same...I can promise you this as I know you both...You two would get along just fine...I mean that....

I'm sure we would and have pretty much admitted so, in a private manner. :thumbsup:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    In all seriousness, how much do you think an average Yemeni knows about the Soviet/Afghan conflict?
    It might be interesting. I read that one of the chief complaints that the Syrian refugees had at some of the European refugee centers was the poor wifi that was available. I also note that I had read during our Iraqi war and also in Afghanistan that militants were coming from Yemen and other countries to take part in the war against our occupation. Perhaps due to the passage of time, the younger folks aren't as knowledgable about the Soviet era as their parents were.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You mean they don't have internet? YEMENIGO?

My Yemeni friends said it was a lot easier to buy an RPG then a decent motor scooter, so if they do I assume they spend a lot of time debating stopping power of various propelled grenades...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom