Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Only a few? Good lord. Yeah I hate to say it but any religion so easily misinterpreted as to motivate hundreds of thousands into shooting, beheading and self exploding anyone who doesn't think like them is fundamentally flawed.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    They also have a leadership problem... They really don't have a structured system in their religion unlike the Catholics for instance (deacon, priest, bishop, Cardinal, Pope). There's no clear "leader" to say we shouldn't be slaughtering people because they're slightly different from us. They tried doing it after Muhammad died but that didn't end very well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Really?

Yes, there's a lot of anti-Jewish sentiment. The founding of Israel pretty much guaranteed that would happen. Same as there's a lot of anti-Turk sentiment among Arabs, and the Greeks and Turks aren't generally buddies. Territory disputes tend to do that.

I'd be fascinated how the poll in Pakistan was conducted and of whom. Note the feelings against ISIS are pretty strong close to where they operate. They peter off the further away you get. You do realize not every conflict is of interest to everyone in the world and not everyone is following it with baited breath? Who here has strong feelings on India vs Pakistan? Who here even knew Cyprus was disputed territory between the Greeks and the Turks with a UN border for decades?

Look for what you want, and you'll find it. There's billions of people to choose from. If I were trying to radicalize people, though, this mass condemnation of a religion, Trumps statements, and the like are perfect fuel. It's fantastic for driving a wedge, for showing there really is a War on Islam, and you better fight now before they come for you.

So, out of curiosity, should I leave INGO? It's getting pretty damn tiresome to see mass condemnation, to see Quran quotes taken out of context to further an agenda, and it's pretty damn tiresome to be constantly lumped in with terrorists. Where's the "natural rights" crowd when Trump calls for a ban on an entire religion entering the country. If I married my wife under Trump's plan I just have to stay out of the country forever because you're scared of a pharmacist based on her religion? What about Americans with children born abroad? People with business interests in the US? People who've had visas for decades and never caused an issue visiting relatives here? Are you guys that scared of me and my family? The funny thing is many of the most vocal would actually be pretty in tune with Islam if they looked at what it actually is and not what perverse anti-Islam sources present it to be based on man bites dog stories. Charity. Defense of the weak by the strong. Justice with an understanding of they underlying motive for the crime, not just the crime itself.

So, seriously, should I leave? It seems less and less welcoming here since religion is an allowed topic and I'm constantly told how we are. I've stuck around through the anti-cop bull****, but this is a lot harder to stay calm about as it's not just about me, but about people I love and care about.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    BBI, I for one don't know crap about Islam. Honestly, I've read more about it in the past week than ever. I've read about how Muslims are taking over parts of Europe, parts of US cities. I've read about certain areas that you just don't go if you're not Muslim. There are plenty of videos showing the attacks that ensue.

There appears to be more of a war by Islam against the Jews and the west, than vice versa. I'm all for keeping my culture, my religion, and my head. I get the impression that Islam doesn't want me to retain any of those.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Fear among the herd can be a terrible thing. Most of the people on this forum have probably never met a person of the Muslim faith. The only knowledge they have of Islam is what they see on television. That is not a pretty picture. Most, but certainly not all, of this fear is based on ignorance. The only people speaking out on behalf of Muslims are the leftist media and they are viewed as, at the very least, untrustworthy. I think you would agree that the PR for Islam in the west is sorely lacking. So, how does one fight fear and ignorance? I know I get assailed every single day with distorted information about issues I care deeply about. While we might choose to turn away rather than to get in a scrum, doing so does not overcome the ignorance. Ignorance left uncontested becomes fact. If you feel strongly about it then tell the truth as you know it. Don't leave, engage.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Really?

Yes, there's a lot of anti-Jewish sentiment. The founding of Israel pretty much guaranteed that would happen. Same as there's a lot of anti-Turk sentiment among Arabs, and the Greeks and Turks aren't generally buddies. Territory disputes tend to do that.

I'd be fascinated how the poll in Pakistan was conducted and of whom. Note the feelings against ISIS are pretty strong close to where they operate. They peter off the further away you get. You do realize not every conflict is of interest to everyone in the world and not everyone is following it with baited breath? Who here has strong feelings on India vs Pakistan? Who here even knew Cyprus was disputed territory between the Greeks and the Turks with a UN border for decades?

Look for what you want, and you'll find it. There's billions of people to choose from. If I were trying to radicalize people, though, this mass condemnation of a religion, Trumps statements, and the like are perfect fuel. It's fantastic for driving a wedge, for showing there really is a War on Islam, and you better fight now before they come for you.

So, out of curiosity, should I leave INGO? It's getting pretty damn tiresome to see mass condemnation, to see Quran quotes taken out of context to further an agenda, and it's pretty damn tiresome to be constantly lumped in with terrorists. Where's the "natural rights" crowd when Trump calls for a ban on an entire religion entering the country. If I married my wife under Trump's plan I just have to stay out of the country forever because you're scared of a pharmacist based on her religion? What about Americans with children born abroad? People with business interests in the US? People who've had visas for decades and never caused an issue visiting relatives here? Are you guys that scared of me and my family? The funny thing is many of the most vocal would actually be pretty in tune with Islam if they looked at what it actually is and not what perverse anti-Islam sources present it to be based on man bites dog stories. Charity. Defense of the weak by the strong. Justice with an understanding of they underlying motive for the crime, not just the crime itself.

So, seriously, should I leave? It seems less and less welcoming here since religion is an allowed topic and I'm constantly told how we are. I've stuck around through the anti-cop bull****, but this is a lot harder to stay calm about as it's not just about me, but about people I love and care about.

Yes, because Islam has only been anti-Semitic in this century. Good fricking grief. Pick up a history book on the occupation of Spain.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart

Please don't leave. I appreciate your viewpoint. I know a few Muslims, and they are all generally secular. As pointed out, it is the fact that there seems to be little in the way of good defense for them. Keep working and the tide may turn. When your defense is the media and our current president, you are in trouble. CAIR doesn't do anyone any favors either.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Well said Birds.

I openly admit my ignorance on the subject.

BBI shared plenty in his thread about the Middle East. It was very enlightening and paints a very different picture than most of the other stuff that is posted here. Just reading what's posted and attempting to sort out the BS.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Really?

So, seriously, should I leave? It seems less and less welcoming here since religion is an allowed topic and I'm constantly told how we are. I've stuck around through the anti-cop bull****, but this is a lot harder to stay calm about as it's not just about me, but about people I love and care about. I
    I am sorry you feel that way.The problem I have is when something bad is done to some <NONBELIEVER>by a radical Muslim,I do not EVER see ENOUGH condemnation against them by the Socalled moderate Muslims. The good ones just go silent.So what is someone to think?Do your people condone these things?Your religion needs to be rescued or your problem is going to get worse.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I am sorry you feel that way.The problem I have is when something bad is done to some <NONBELIEVER>by a radical Muslim,I do not EVER see ENOUGH condemnation against them by the Socalled moderate Muslims. The good ones just go silent.So what is someone to think?Do your people condone these things?Your religion needs to be rescued or your problem is going to get worse.

Exactly. And it doesn't help when the mouthpieces for CAIR go on the news and start spouting wacked-out conspiracy theories like this meatball:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rnardino-attackers-family-floats-hoax-theory/

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Fear among the herd can be a terrible thing. Most of the people on this forum have probably never met a person of the Muslim faith. The only knowledge they have of Islam is what they see on television. That is not a pretty picture.

That's awfully presumptuous.

Most, but certainly not all, of this fear is based on ignorance.

Actually, it's based on the 99.99+% of all the terrorism in the world being committed in the name of Islam.

The only people speaking out on behalf of Muslims are the leftist media and they are viewed as, at the very least, untrustworthy. I think you would agree that the PR for Islam in the west is sorely lacking. So, how does one fight fear and ignorance? I know I get assailed every single day with distorted information about issues I care deeply about. While we might choose to turn away rather than to get in a scrum, doing so does not overcome the ignorance. Ignorance left uncontested becomes fact. If you feel strongly about it then tell the truth as you know it. Don't leave, engage.

Here's the problem: Islam claims about 2 billion adherents. The number of adherents who act on, agree with, or even merely sympathize with violent extremism in the name of Islam is, conservatively, 20%. That's 400 million people - at a conservative estimate.

That's not a trivial number. That's not a "phantom threat". It is not a slander against any of the other, 1.6 billion Muslims, to point out this reality. As seen in San Bernardino, Ft. Hood, and elsewhere: it only takes one or two such people to have atrocious effect. And the further reality is: it is the other, 1.6 billion Muslims who are most at-risk from violent extremism in the name of Islam.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Don't leave the forum. There are plenty here who irritate me (for other reasons) and I stay. :)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    That's awfully presumptuous.

Actually, it's based on the 99.99+% of all the terrorism in the world being committed in the name of Islam.

Here's the problem: Islam claims about 2 billion adherents. The number of adherents who act on, agree with, or even merely sympathize with violent extremism in the name of Islam is, conservatively, 20%. That's 400 million people - at a conservative estimate.

That's not a trivial number. That's not a "phantom threat". It is not a slander against any of the other, 1.6 billion Muslims, to point out this reality. As seen in San Bernardino, Ft. Hood, and elsewhere: it only takes one or two such people to have atrocious effect. And the further reality is: it is the other, 1.6 billion Muslims who are most at-risk from violent extremism in the name of Islam.
    I don't think it is at all presumptuous.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Really?

Too many minds that are sealed shut. Fear and bandwagons, oh and Trump...how people can even listen to a word he says is beyond me. Indiana isn't REALLY known for it's tolerance or so called hoosier hospitality. Its pretty similar when anything about homosexuality is brought up. People in this state (majority, but not everyone) have been schooled by their parents, and them by their parents, to inherit their values and beliefs. Some people decide to think for themselves, and choose what is right, wrong, and acceptable based on their own life and not of their parents. The majority stick to how they were raised though.

My condolences.

Last edited:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Gotta jump in with one thing. I don't know about Muslim Americans in New Jersey, but I very clearly remember on 9/11 seeing a clip of Palestinians dancing in the street over there. It was disgusting and I remember wishing I was a USAF pilot there with an excess of napalm ordnance hanging on my wings.

Top Bottom