• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    I saw a shot gun I was looking for for a while...I haggled the price down with the guy, did the paperwork and was approved to buy, and the price we negotiated was all I had on me, he wanted the sales tax. I said that's all I have on me, we were about $10 apart and he wouldn't take it. That's a bunch of bull****!!

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I saw a shot gun I was looking for for a while...I haggled the price down with the guy, did the paperwork and was approved to buy, and the price we negotiated was all I had on me, he wanted the sales tax. I said that's all I have on me, we were about $10 apart and he wouldn't take it. That's a bunch of bull****!!
    It may suck but it is a tactic I have seen some use to get the price even lower. If you had to fill out paperwork, the guy probably was required to collect tax.

pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    Yes I had the cash in hand, $330 and we negotiated to $325 and did the paperwork and the out the door price was like $342 or something and he wouldn't come down and take my offer out the door...oh well guess that's why its a "show"

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Yes I had the cash in hand, $330 and we negotiated to $325 and did the paperwork and the out the door price was like $342 or something and he wouldn't come down and take my offer out the door...oh well guess that's why its a "show"
    No offense but if it was something I already negotited a price on, it would make me a POS if I didnt follow through and go to an ATM and get another $20.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't think you have to specifically collect the tax from the buyer as a separate line item. The seller could have taken the tax out of the sale. Sellers at gun shows do it all the time. Sell at negotiated and/or listed prices, add up the receipts at the end of the show, and carve out the governments share. So he would have grossed less than the $325 by the time he took the tax out.

Sounds like a case of not being clear on the final price. As a buyer, one should make it clear when negotiating if it is a sub-total or an "out the door" price.

pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    I'm not saying i'm disappointed at him collecting sales tax, he's running a business, it's the law...I'm disappointed he wouldn't work with me on the price a little so after tax the price was where I could buy it, since we were that close.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    There is a lesson to be learned here...actually 2.

1: Carry more cash to the gun shows.

2: When negotiating, make sure both sides are discussing the same thing...either OTD pricing, or price+tax.

Need to have self control with #1...that darn cash can burn a hole in your pocket if you're not careful.

Sorry this didn't work out for you, I wouldn't be too happy about that myslf.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Was not there so can not say what exactly transpired but the price agreed on has to be OTD or out the door. If that was not part of the negotiation then he was in the right. If you agreed on a $10 drop from sticker only then there is still tax to be collected. This is a very important factor when "Haggling" over prices. Always....always finish with "Is this out the door"???? That clarify's your position and his price.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    There is a lesson to be learned here...actually 2.

1: Carry more cash to the gun shows.

2: When negotiating, make sure both sides are discussing the same thing...either OTD pricing, or price+tax.

Need to have self control with #1...that darn cash can burn a hole in your pocket if you're not careful.

Sorry this didn't work out for you, I wouldn't be too happy about that myslf.

Thats it right there. You always have to have plenty of cash for unexpected "finds" that you had not anticipated buying. And out the door price is good to be clear about when buying any negotiable item. Its bad that it came down to a $10 haggle neither party was willing to fix.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have people get mad at my booth all the time that i collect tax. thats the diffrence between having a actual business and just being joe blow off of the street.

in all fairness i make 100% sure my customers know they will pay tax, but i also make it easier by putting a price on my stuff that is not up for negotiation. i put the minimum penny im willing to part with my product for and the customer has to either take it or leave it.

people dont seem to get to upset when walmart collects tax, i dont see why they expect less from a gun related business, but they do

Top Bottom