• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Given that Comey publicly testified, under oath before Congress, that he INTENTIONALLY leaked those memos, he should be facing an indictment of at least one felony with the potential for up to 10 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine.

Oh, wait... his buddy is the special prosecutor and the nation's laws don't apply if you are #RESIST-ing.

I may be wrong, but I thought Comey didn't leak the actual memos, but rather some of the information contained in those memos. I think that's a noteworthy difference, if correct, as the information leaked might not be the info in the memo that's considered classified.

Now, the hitch maybe that he passed it on to the Columbia professor, who (you should note) did not release the memo, but rather a description of.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I may be wrong, but I thought Comey didn't leak the actual memos, but rather some of the information contained in those memos. I think that's a noteworthy difference, if correct, as the information leaked might not be the info in the memo that's considered classified.

Now, the hitch maybe that he passed it on to the Columbia professor,
    who (you should note) did not release the memo, but rather a description of.

The passing of classified information to an unauthorized person or person(s) is the crime. The fact that (according to Comey's testimony) he used the professor as a pass-through to avoid reporters at his door both makes it a distinction without a difference as well as adds probable cause for a count of conspiracy.

Whether or not the professor passed on the classified bits would affect the charges he, the professor, would be eligible for, not Comey.

ETA: By way of example, Snowden didn't make classified data public, WikiLeaks did... but that would be no defense as the crime was committed by the transfer even before the information showed up on the website.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The passing of classified information to an unauthorized person or person(s) is the crime. The fact that (according to Comey's testimony) he used the professor as a pass-through to avoid reporters at his door both makes it a distinction without a difference as well as adds probably cause for a count of conspiracy.

You're clear on my use of "hitch", and what that implies, right?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Wouldn't the mere creation of uncontrolled "personal memos" that contain classified information itself be a crime?

Oh, and add to the list of Comey's crimes: perjury in his congressional testimony, regarding handling of classified information, with respect to said memos.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Wouldn't the mere creation of uncontrolled "personal memos" that contain classified information itself be a crime?

Oh, and add to the list of Comey's crimes: perjury in his congressional testimony, regarding handling of classified information, with respect to said memos.
    Potentially, but since we are still deep in the "anonymous sources with knowledge of the investigation" stage of what passes for reporting these days, I'm going to withhold judgment as to whether a crime occurred.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Potentially, but since we are still deep in the "anonymous sources with knowledge of the investigation" stage of what passes for reporting these days, I'm going to withhold judgment as to whether a crime occurred.

This seems wise.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You're clear on my use of "hitch", and what that implies, right?

Absolutely! :):

truck-hitch.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, a pintle hitch with a square plate with sharp corners bolted to the actual insert about knee high. It made Dave cuss enough that parts of the truck needed repainted when it was over.

When I still had my old F-150 plow truck i busted my knee open on the hitch and summarily laid open a knuckle or 2 punching the tail gate from the pain and anger.
    Knee was bleeding, hand was bleeding, tail gate was dented (slightly).
    I might have ever so slightly Pee-Pee'd my pants as well.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

It's all about the new fanged "intent", he didn't intend to commit a crime, so, according to him, he didn't!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Comey was the creator of those memos, while director. I don't think the creation was an issue. He also, as far as I know, still has the appropriate clearances to hold such memos. So one is going have to dig pretty deep to find a crime there.

Also, I'm not aware of perjury during Coney's hearing, keeping in mind the perjury rests on intent to mislead. What instance are you speaking of.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Comey was the creator of those memos, while director. I don't think the creation was an issue. He also, as far as I know, still has the appropriate clearances to hold such memos. So one is going have to dig pretty deep to find a crime there.

By his own admission, the memos were "private" memos, and not official state documents. I was unaware that making uncontrolled, personal transcriptions of classified information was lawful.

Also, I'm not aware of perjury during Coney's hearing, keeping in mind the perjury rests on intent to mislead. What instance are you speaking of.

The part where he stated that said memos contained no classified information.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    By his own admission, the memos were "private" memos, and not official state documents. I was unaware that making uncontrolled, personal transcriptions of classified information was lawful.

The part where he stated that said memos contained no classified information.

As I am unaware that such is unlawful for a sitting FBI director.
    I'd further challenge the idea that he ever said the the memos, in total, lacked classified information. He, from what I understand, purposefully classified some of the memos as being "sensitive."

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

Nope! Classified materials must be kept in a designated, approved and audited place for storing classified materials regardless of what clearance a person has or doesn't have... since he was terminated for cause, there is a distinct possibility, in fact likelihood, IMO, his clearance was revoked at termination. Especially since the Trump administration suspected him of being a leaker even before he proved himself to be one. Also, there is the question of need... what does a terminated FBI director legitimately need a continuing security clearance for? He will no longer be briefed upon classified material.

Top Bottom