• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I am looking into starting to reload this summer to help feed the habit as it were. The press I am seriously looking at is the Dillon XL650. What experiences have you had with that machine, good-bad-ugly? I know some people say not to start with a progressive but I am very detail oriented and making things work is something I enjoy so that does not scare me off. My choice for the 650 is due in part by the fact that I have seen / read good things about the Dillon brand and will be starting out with a few calibers not just one to go with the square-deal B as a cheaper start. I also like the extra position for a powder-check, or just for a clear view to check the powder level by eye.

Thank you.

bsmant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    I have a 650 and it's great. There are definite advantages and disadvantages to a progressive press like the 650. On the plus side, once you learn how to use it, you can load an amazing amount of ammo, with little effort. On the negative side, caliber conversions are expensive (up to $200, plus dies), so it isn't practical for low-volume calibers.

I also have, and still use, the RCBS Rock Chucker that I started with. A single stage press is great for low volume or high precision loads, it is also great for working up new loads. It is also relatively cheap to set up for a new caliber, as you just need dies and a shell holder.

I always recommend that people start with a single stage, learn the basics, and then move to the progressive. You won't be wasting money on the single stage, as you will still use it once you have the progressive.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Thank you for the information. For the calibers I am looking to reload I am not too worried about the conversion costs as I would be saving 50-70% on my target ammo without even doing the real homework on the best component prices with potentially better results than the factory ammo. I am not against single-stage presses as I may get one for long-range rifle reloading where I would want to focus on precision rather than volume. If I go to the range I can burn through 200+ handgun rounds / hour a few times a week, I do not have that kind of time for a single stage, but I am not shooting that volume of long-distance shooting and <75 yard vs. 300 yard is quite the difference in necessary accuracy.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I don't personally think starting with a progressive is a bad idea, but taking a class is a good idea regardless of what type of press you want to start with. I have a Dillon 550 (along with several other presses), but i've pulled the handle on the 650, and I looked pretty hard at it before choosing the 550. To me the differences are the caliber conversions (which are both cheaper and quicker to change on the 550) and the auto index on the 650 vs. the manual index on the 550 (I like auto index and have it on another of my presses, but unless you also buy the case feeder for the 650 I don't think the auto index provides any additional advantage over the 550.) You might head over to brianenos.com to read a bit about selecting the right Dillon for you, just for information purposes. The Square Deal won't load rifle cartridges, but is a less expensive loader for pistol cartridges - but it uses proprietary dies not useable on any other presses. I don't think I'd buy it over the 550.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I am planning on attending a class, I see there are some offered in Indy but have not looked as closely at course offerings yet regarding reloading. BrianEnos.com does have some very good information there where he compares the different types and I believe he prefers the 550 to the 650 due to the auto/manual indexing as well. Thank you.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have a 650 and it's great. There are definite advantages and disadvantages to a progressive press like the 650. On the plus side, once you learn how to use it, you can load an amazing amount of ammo, with little effort. On the negative side, caliber conversions are expensive (up to $200, plus dies), so it isn't practical for low-volume calibers.

I also have, and still use, the RCBS Rock Chucker that I started with. A single stage press is great for low volume or high precision loads, it is also great for working up new loads. It is also relatively cheap to set up for a new caliber, as you just need dies and a shell holder.

I always recommend that people start with a single stage, learn the basics, and then move to the progressive. You won't be wasting money on the single stage, as you will still use it once you have the progressive.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Spot on! :+1:

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    If you end up purchasing a 650 spring for the case feeder it's a must. I don't know where you are located but try and find someone with a 650 you can learn the ropes on. It can be a little hard to get your initial setup going by reading dillons instructions. I love my 650 and it is one great machine!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I own a 550, would go that way again if I was going to buy another Dillon, but would give a very hard look at Lee & Rcbs etc..
    Gotcha's - Dillon's 45acp die set may not do it for you unless you replace the crimp die with a Lee (?) full length resizing crimp die.
    A caliber conversion die set doesn't include the powder die which you really want because it is nice not to mess with belling adjustments whenever you are switching calibers.
    Dillon set up dvd which I thought should have been included free was another $20.00 and pretty much useless. I think if you need the dvd then you probably shouldn't be reloading.
    I think the powder bar set up is less robust and reliable than some competitors options. I may still buy the accesory that lets you replace the supplied setup with a rotary dispensor setup.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Agree on the need for extra powder does. Also, the detent on the indexing unit is pretty aggressive. I'm sure that compressed load recipes probably have problems with powder spillage as the indexer unit pops into the next position (I've seen a kit you can buy that replaces the stock indexer design with a bearing plate to make the motion much smoother, but I haven't purchased it). I LIKE loading on my 550 more than on my Lee Pro1000, but I have to say that the Lee is quicker. I haven't had any problems with the Dillon powder measure set up, but again there are people that say the newer generation "fail safe" camming plate was a step in the wrong direction, and has made the operation much less fluid. There are prints on the web that show how to restore the powder measure assembly to being a smoother, spring return action.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Take a look at the Hornady LnL as well. It has many of the features of the 650 but is closer to the cost of the 550, especially with their free bullet deal. Equally good customer service. Just don't make a decision without including it in your decision process. I'm not saying this because the 650 is a bad press.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have both a 550 and 650. For the 650, I'd suggest getting the roller handle, extra tool heads, low primer warning, powder check, strong mount, extra powder measure and the Dillon video. You can also get a lot of good info on YouTube. Oh, yeah, like others suggested, get the case feeder.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My dad has a 650 with all the bells n whistles, and a few conversions.
    He's so lazy he bought another 650 so he wouldn't have to swap out.
    So lazy...........it's still in the box :)
    He has other presses, turret/single stage (several of each).

I just let him load my .45 acp..............he is a cranky old fart, but loves his 650.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    I have loaded on a Lee turret, then went to the Lee Load Master the first year it came out and dreamed of owning a Dillon. After fighting the load master and even sending it back to Lee, I finally sold it, and saved up for a 650 and have no regrets. I don't have alot of time to load, and with the 650 I can have 3 or 400 loaded in a half hour so it works for me. But I am not into the sub moa loads either.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I finally convinced my Dad that he deserves a 650. Should be here tomorrow, we're next door neighbors. Not sure yet what all he got with it other than .38/.357 and .45 set-ups. Told him he needed .223 as well, he said, but I don't have a .223, and I said yea but I do! Guess I'll have to spring for it. I told him if he springs for the press, I'll set it up, supply free child labor and shoot all the ammo the kids in his basement sweatshop can crank out. Sounded fair to me. Gonna have to empty a few hundred .45 cases this weekend so we have something to start with. Can't wait to crank it up.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If you are getting a 650, reload on a friends for a few hundred to 1000 rounds before trying to learn by yourself on your own. It can be harder to learn versus a 550 or even a 1050. Clearing a problem can take some getting used to so have a friend watch you closely and walk you through it. It's a great first machine but dont dive in head first by yourself.

Top Bottom