• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    As I have aged my hands have become slicker and, due to arthritus, not as strong as they once were. I recently bought a Shield am having trouble racking the slide. The serrations on lthe slide aren't very sharp and I'm slipping off them. I've tried the full palm/over the top method, but that covers the ejection port since that slide is so short.

I've seen guys use skateboard tape dots on the slide, and that would probably help, but I can't say I like the idea.

Any thoughts????

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I would try the skateboard tape.. If you decide you just can't stand it or it doesn't work it's easy enough to remove.. I have an M&P that had the tape on it when I bought it and it does make for a good surface for improving the grip.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I agree with NHT3, try the skateboard tape to see if it helps. If not, you can always remove it. The slide on the Shield is definitely hard to rack. It gets a little better the more rounds you put through it, but even after ~500 rounds, it certainly isn't easy to rack. Another option, albeit a bit expensive, is to sell the Shield and pick up a weapon that's easier to rack. The new Walther CCP when it comes out is very easy to rack (got my hands on one at the NRA convention and was floored at how easy it was to rack), as are a few other models of guns. Of course, a revolver is another consideration for you, as there is no slide to rack. Before you go that route, try the skateboard tape. If that solves the issue, it was an inexpensive solution, even if it might not look that great.... :)

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I suffer from extreme arthritis myself. I have nothing to add on the method side. However, I have something to add on the arthritis side. It's a bit odd but it has worked wonders for me. I've been suffering from arthritis since my 20s and have tried all the latest drugs. They cost a ton of $$$ and didn't do squat. While sitting at the Oncologist's office with the wife a 90 something woman saw how bad my hands were. She told me to try drunken raisins. I researched this for a few days and decided to give it a try. Now you can laugh all you want, but they worked for me. If they don't work for you, you'll only be out about $20. So what's to lose. You'll need:

Bottle of Gordon's London Dry Gin (cheapest that will work as it's made with natural ingredients)
    Golden raisins (must be golden not regular)
    a small glass jar (Mine is a 3" cube I picked up at Wally world for $1. I now have two. One to eat from and one for starting new ones)
    cheese cloth (find this in the craft section. If you ask, I'll be glad to send you a piece for free)
    something to hold the cheese cloth on the jar (I use a hair tie)

Take the small glass jar and put 1/2" of golden raisins in it. Add gin so the raisins are covered and a bit extra as they're going to expand and absorb the gin. Soak for a week with cheese cloth over the jar, not a lid. Then start eating 9-10 a day. I rinse mine off and just pop them in my mouth. Most people see results quickly but it may take up to 6-8 weeks according to the sites I read. I saw results start in about a week.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I've recommended this technique multiple times and it seems to work for most everyone who needs help. The key is to use both hands/arms to rack the slide instead of just one.

[video=youtube_share;kbayNc6D9HY]http://youtu.be/kbayNc6D9HY[/video]

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I suffer from extreme arthritis myself. I have nothing to add on the method side. However, I have something to add on the arthritis side. It's a bit odd but it has worked wonders for me. I've been suffering from arthritis since my 20s and have tried all the latest drugs. They cost a ton of $$$ and didn't do squat. While sitting at the Oncologist's office with the wife a 90 something woman saw how bad my hands were. She told me to try drunken raisins. I researched this for a few days and decided to give it a try. Now you can laugh all you want, but they worked for me. If they don't work for you, you'll only be out about $20. So what's to lose. You'll need:

Bottle of Gordon's London Dry Gin (cheapest that will work as it's made with natural ingredients)
    Golden raisins (must be golden not regular)
    a small glass jar (Mine is a 3" cube I picked up at Wally world for $1. I now have two. One to eat from and one for starting new ones)
    cheese cloth (find this in the craft section. If you ask, I'll be glad to send you a piece for free)
    something to hold the cheese cloth on the jar (I use a hair tie)

Take the small glass jar and put 1/2" of golden raisins in it. Add gin so the raisins are covered and a bit extra as they're going to expand and absorb the gin. Soak for a week with cheese cloth over the jar, not a lid. Then start eating 9-10 a day. I rinse mine off and just pop them in my mouth. Most people see results quickly but it may take up to 6-8 weeks according to the sites I read. I saw results start in about a week.

I am starting to suffer from arthritis. I may give this a try in order to keep it from progressing any quicker.

INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    Thanks, guys. I can rack the slide using video method, but it is difficult and the muzzle is horizontal. I much prefer to have it pointed down when loading or unloading.
    I've thought about selling the Shield and getting Bersa .380 or a Glock 42, but I prefer a 9mm. This option is still being considered - seriously!
    I put some skateboard tape on there and it does indeed work. I don't like the looks of lit and it does catch on my shirt, but i'm going to try it for a while. Maybe the answer.
    The raisins and the booze... now, theres a winner!!!!! I'm definitely going that route!!

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    My wife has had this problem. She didn't have arthritis but she did not have much strength in her hands. I would recommend racking or attempting to rack the slide a few times a day. Try that for a week or so and see if it get any easier for you, as you start building muscle memory and a little more strengths in your hands from the repetition.

I injured my right hand a few years ago. After the injury my right hand was noticeably weaker and sore, even after it healed. I started using a grip strength builder...after a month or so my hand was much stronger and the aching and soreness eventually went away. I would recommend trying a light spring-weight builder, I bet it will make a huge difference even if you have arthritis.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thanks, guys. I can rack the slide using video method, but it is difficult and the muzzle is horizontal. I much prefer to have it pointed down when loading or unloading.
    I've thought about selling the Shield and getting Bersa .380 or a Glock 42, but I prefer a 9mm. This option is still being considered - seriously!
    I put some skateboard tape on there and it does indeed work. I don't like the looks of lit and it does catch on my shirt, but i'm going to try it for a while. Maybe the answer.
    The raisins and the booze... now, theres a winner!!!!! I'm definitely going that route!!

My first gun was a Bersa .380, I don't think it would be any easier to rack.
    By contrast, the Walther PK380 is really easy to rack..

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My first gun was a Bersa .380, I don't think it would be any easier to rack.
    By contrast, the Walther PK380 is really easy to rack..

I agree. I've tried the PK380 and the S&W Bodyguard and they were both very easy to rack. The Walther CCP (whenever it's finally released) was just as easy to rack and is a 9mm. I tried it out at the NRA convention and thought it was an interesting gun. Not one I'd probably want to own, but for certain needs, like this, it would be great.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    Try leaving the gun with the slide locked back for a week or so. It might help break in the recoil spring to be easier. My brother in law had to do that with his Kahr

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As I have aged my hands have become slicker and, due to arthritus, not as strong as they once were. I recently bought a Shield am having trouble racking the slide. The serrations on lthe slide aren't very sharp and I'm slipping off them. I've tried the full palm/over the top method, but that covers the ejection port since that slide is so short.

I've seen guys use skateboard tape dots on the slide, and that would probably help, but I can't say I like the idea.

Any thoughts????

My Glocks have a lot no-skid tape all over the slides. I don't have problems racking the slide, but I'd rather be certain and it really helps when you have to rack the slide on your leg or something.

The technique we teach uses your firing side shoulder/chest/tricep to push forward on the grip as your hold the slide with your support hand over the top behind the ejection port. You do not have to have the gun horizontal pointed to the side!

Here are some things that will help:

• Put some of the no-skid tape on top of the slide, between the rear sight and the ejection port.
    • When you grip the slide with your support hand, use your palm as much as you can to pinch the slide rather than your fingers.
    • Push forward with your firing hand/arm/shoulder.

If you like, I'll show you some time. Contact me by email or PM and we'll make an appointment.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    you can send it off to ATEI and have it milled like mine.

attachment.php

INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    Thanks again to everyone for your help. I'm kind of surprised so many people have had this problem.
    I have about 300 rounds thru it now and not noticing it being any easier to rack.
    I've been looking for a better skateboard tape, which I really don't much like, and I found something better - at Amazon of all places.
    It's called GT5000 Grip Tape and it a rubber-like tape which is smooth feeling, but very tacky when you grip it hard.
    I have a piece on each side of the slide covering the milled serations on he rear of the slide. It conforms very well to the serations, and makes racking almost easy!
    I have no idea how long it will last, but it appears to be durable. We'll see about that. For $4.99+$2.50 s&h I got 3 strips 2" x 8.5", so I have enough to replace it many times if necessary.
    I really recommend this product. I think it is made by "Hi-Tec Industries", and is available on Amazon. Look under skateboard tape.

Top Bottom