• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Interesting, other than India (which most USians probably couldn't find on a map) I think the omission of better relations with China and Vietnam was to avoid making him look worse.

Granted, the Telegraph is UK based, so that's why the UKIP reference makes sense. Which, by the way, UKIP doesn't need help in becoming popular.

But, really, Putin is doing a VERY good job in foreign policy. I don't see that article as particularly propaganda-ish. Certainly not as bad as what comes out of Russia.

I did not read a single thing in that article as positive or even neutral in regards to Russia or Putin.The author is clearly demonizing Russia's foreign policy and Putin.
    It does not do so with facts really,but with wording.
    Putin is divisive and authoritarian,and the article has nothing but negative things to say about every country on the list without a single positive.
    If you knew nothing going on about Greece you are left with the opinion Greece and Russia think genocide of Ukrainians is ok,and even justified.
    The political turmoil in France is blamed on a Russian "government-leaning oligarch".
    Even the rise of Right-wing or “insurgent” parties across Europe, including Independent Greeks in Greece, Jobbik in Hungary, Vlaams Belang in Belgium, Northern League in Italy, Ataka in Bulgaria and NPD in Germany are some how linked dis favorably with Russia when most all of those parties have existed for decades.

I do not see how it is not propaganda-ish.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    :3

B-Lne_bIMAAU5ze.jpg:large

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, the UK is taking some blame for mis-interpreting Russian foreign policy.
    BBC News - Ukraine: UK and EU 'badly misread' Russia
    Committee chairman Lord Tugendhat said: "The lack of robust analytical capacity, in both the UK and the EU, effectively led to a catastrophic misreading of the mood in the run-up to the crisis."
    The UK had a particular responsibility to Ukraine because it was one of four signatories to the 1994 Budapest Memorandum which pledged to respect Ukraine's territorial integrity, the committee said.
    Neither Britain nor the EU had a strategic response on how to handle Russia for the long term, it added.
    A Foreign Office spokeswoman said no-one could have predicted the scale of the "unjustifiable and illegal" Russian intervention and it was for the people of Ukraine to decide on its relationship with the EU.

Former Secretary of State Clinton needs to step up and take some responsibility, too. Her and her peregruzka button.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, but even if Putin is a bad guy (which doesn't take much argument), is a bad Russian economy still a good thing? Does that make Putin's apparent war-mongering easier or harder?

As a student of history, you are no doubt aware that bad economic times can be the precursor to real wars.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, but even if Putin is a bad guy (which doesn't take much argument), is a bad Russian economy still a good thing? Does that make Putin's apparent war-mongering easier or harder?

As a student of history, you are no doubt aware that bad economic times can be the precursor to real wars.

I figured this was what you're getting at. No matter the scale, the less money you have in your pocket correlates with the inclination to do bad things.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Yep, they can be, but I am fairly sure that he's looking for a fight, (or assuming we can't or won't fight). He's gone out of his way to take us back to the old Cold War ways. All he really has to do is stand down and not be a douchebag. Stop threatening and invading his neighbours. It's not like the other nations of the world did anything to make him do what he's done. Actions have consequences and his have reaped him a buttload of hurt. The West has just refused to trade in an open manner with Russia. Not exactly dropping a bomb on the Kremlin. He, and his supporters, have to know that there is a price to pay for being a Soviet style aggressor.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow. Did not see that coming.

China moving into Europe? Things gonna get interesting.

At first blush, I see that as a stepping away from WWIII (at least in Europe). If it becomes a tripartite power struggle, then the risk of the unknown goes up significantly.

But, again, I see this situation as a power vacuum filling. The US is backing away, Russia pushed about as far as she can, so China sees a long-range opportunity.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Meanwhile, in Rome, Kerry discovers the Pope is... Catholic.

(BTW, that's funny for 2 reasons.) :D

Top Bottom