• ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Bit of an update on the Russian economy:
    BBC News - Russia shows first sign of recession as GDP contracts

Really just confirming what was already predicted. But, this could be an interesting turn:
    Mr Putin has also given the Russian central bank the power to recapitalise the country's biggest retail bank, Sberbank, directly with soft loans. The total must not exceed Sberbank's capital as measured on 1 January 2015.

The "subordinated debt" issued by the central bank, if Sberbank needs it, will not have to be repaid until other loans have been paid off. It is a cushion in case Sberbank gets into financial difficulty.

Other banks can be recapitalised by the central bank through Russia's deposit guarantee agency, using federal government bonds.

The bold part (my emphasis added) is the tricky part. If these new subordinated loans can equal a 1:1 to existing capital, then it effectively allows Sberbank to go negative debt to capital ratio. It will add liquidity to pay down existing debt, so they can juggle money on a short-term basis. But, if there's a drawn out bank run, and capital+state line of credit is not enough to pay other debts, then... well... you're looking at a collapse of the country's biggest retail bank. Think 2008's Too-Big-To-Fail in the US.

If they really do open up the program to other retail banks, then the central bank itself could get over-committed. Well, even that's not exactly accurate. Russian .gov is really only limited to the totality of Russia's assets, since Putin could probably take over any sector he wants.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    NATO wouldn't exist. And Putin would be running roughshod over eastern Europe by now.

I doubt Putin would be in power if Russia had been admitted into NATO.

How would Russia being in NATO end its existence?

Ah,that is right.To have a military alliance one must have an enemy in which to unite against.Which explains perfectly why Russia will always be the enemy no matter what.

We have always been at war with eastasia.Do not worry though Chocolate rations have been increased and the price of oil is down.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Ah,that is right.To have a military alliance one must have an enemy in which to unite against.Which explains perfectly why Russia will always be the enemy no matter what.

We have always been at war with eastasia.Do not worry though Chocolate rations have been increased and the price of oil is down.

Actually China is what I was thinking. China puts up with N. Korea, because it doesn't want one of our allies on it's borders. So I imagine Russia becoming part of NATO wouldn't go over too well with them.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

As I recall, and the article basically confirmed my recollection, Gorbachev wasn't looking to actually join NATO, but was looking to either disband it (as the Warsaw Pact was clearly doomed), or gain entry to the inner sanctum so as to stymie any real action. The result would have been similar to the veto power of the UN security council. Or, if admission was as an associate or some sort of non-voting member, it would still provide a bully pulpit.

Many scenarios then are available for NATO to either fall totally or provide a conduit for Russian expansion. Could you imagine what Yeltsin would have done with a seat at NATO meetings? *cue Khrushchev shoe-banging*

While I appreciate an Orwell reference as much as anyone, I would point out that as Putin rose to power, Russia was not the enemy. Did the US miss a possible opportunity in the 1990s to reach a better version of detente? Probably. But, that was also the time of China's rise (I would also concede that development may have been fostered by the vacuum of Russian power) and our strategic pivot to the Pacific.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    And the economic hits just keep on coming. They're now a step above junk for ratings.

http://www.market watch.com/story/fitch-downgrades-russia-sovereign-rating-to-bbb--one-notch-above-junk-2015-01-09

To view the story remove the space between market and watch in the url. INGO's stupid obscenity filter thinks there is forbidden word there.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    GIANT explosion at Donetsk airport just moments ago

B7ftTz0CcAAgpD3.png:large

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Good thing there's a ceasefire. Otherwise, the pro-Russian groups might take the airport.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/17/world/europe/russia-ukraine-donetsk-airport.html?_r=0

I think the rebels have controlled the airport since October?The following is from USA today,back in October.
    Ground zero in the battle for Ukraine: Donetsk airport
    Ukrainian officials extol their fighters at the airport as besieged heroes preventing a staging point for future attacks that would threaten the rest of the country. Tolstikh says the airport has gained symbolic importance to Ukraine because fighting there has lasted so long.
    The rebels have retaken the airport, he said, but Ukrainian forces continue to fire howitzer cannons, mortars and tanks from constantly changing positions in a thicket nearby.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Couple different articles on this.

First, a "thank you, Mr. Obvious" moment:
    Russian Military Forces, Weapons Enter Ukraine, Confirms Prime Minister
    Ukraine Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk, 40, confirmed Russian military forces and equipment have entered Ukraine, state-run media reported Monday. "I have just spoken with the national defense and security council secretary,” Yatsenyuk said. “Ukrainian military intelligence confirm the fact military personnel and equipment have been transferred from Russia to Ukraine.”

Perhaps as important as the low-boil war is in the Ukraine, here is an article about the broader political environment in Europe. In one word, "fractured."
    BBC News - BBC Democracy Day: Europe 'faces political earthquakes'
    Political earthquakes could be in store for Europe in 2015, according to research by the Economist Intelligence Unit for the BBC's Democracy Day.
    It says the rising appeal of populist parties could see some winning elections and mainstream parties forced into previously unthinkable alliances.

I hope we are long past the days of a "European war" being a "civil war."

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Donetsk airport falls into hands of pro-Russia separatists - LA Times

Apparently the Ukrainian forces have ceded control of the entire airport to the pro-Russian separatists.
    “For six days we were desperately trying to regain control of the new terminal but failed,” Biryukov said in an interview to The Times. “At the same time the airport continues to remain the battle field and the front line.”

Small caveat about the link - it basically has partisan quotes and not much "news."

Top Bottom