• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    You have to wonder if somebody knew this Iranian general was in town, doing something. The embassy attack may not have done as he wanted so he and the militia chief decided maybe the best bet was to get out of town thinking that their plans had been compromised. That somebody also seems to have known his departure route and times allowing this ambush to have been quickly set up. Hats off to good intel and quick reaction by the ones finishing the job.
    Looks like he just landed and was driving off to stoke the fires when a special delivery from America was dropped on his car

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I see the FB leftists are in a frenzy. Bush..... oops, Trump lied about getting us out of foreign wars and is trying to get us in another one.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I see the FB leftists are in a frenzy. Bush..... oops, Trump lied about getting us out of foreign wars and is trying to get us in another one.

Well, the question needs to be asked. Why are we still in Iraq? It's obvious that they don't want us there, and it been that way for a while. The president ran on getting us out of the ME, and yet we're still there. Why? Maybe someone else with a higher pay grade knows, but I don't see what in our interest to stay there.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Is that honestly a “bad” thing if he ordered it? Taking out a top general that operating against our forces in Iraq. Now, I opposed pulling out of the Iran deal, but that ship has sailed. Iran is now directlyputting American lives in danger. I might throw up, but I might have to give the president credit for something else.
    dFr3Vqj.gif

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Man, love how it's being framed as some sort of "lawless assassination"

*****, Obama droned people left and right, including American citizens. Sit down.

Lot of allies on high alert in the area, some oil fields being evacuated in anticipation of retaliation.

His successor has been appointed: Brig. Gen. Esmail Ghaani

I'm guessing that news outlet that spoke highly of him recently is on suicide watch

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here's a bat**** crazy take from actress Rose McGowan

Dear #Iran, The USA has disrespected your country, your flag, your people. 52% of us humbly apologize. We want peace with your nation. We are being held hostage by a terrorist regime. We do not know how to escape. Please do not kill us. #Soleimani

https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/status/1212976832544460801

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    You have to wonder if somebody knew this Iranian general was in town, doing something. The embassy attack...

When I saw the attack on the Embassy I immediately thought Iran is behind this trying to relive 1979. Good restraint by our embassy forces not shooting the people at the wall attacking and instead chopping off the head of the snake. No coincidence he was in town at the same time as the attack and our Iraqi “allies” defending the Green Zone stood down and let the protesters in to attack the embassy.

...get out of town thinking that their plans had been compromised. That somebody also seems to have known his departure route and times allowing this ambush to have been quickly set up. Hats off to good intel and quick reaction by the ones finishing the job.

Imagine the internal cleansing going on in the Iran as everyone looks at each other suspecting them of being the leaker. There will be plenty of turmoil to distract Iranian leadership form attacking the satan U.S.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So... I'm left wondering how a top general from a hostile country found safe haven on the ground of an ostensible ally.

Taking direct military action against someone from a foreign government (even if a legitimate target in war) on foreign soil is something that SHOULD be a POTUS decision, not to be taken lightly.

But more importantly, WTF are we doing in the country that allowed the target to come in.

Now, if it was under some sort of white-flag/neutral territory arrangement... then we betrayed a basic trust. If it wasn't, then it feels like we're in the process of being betrayed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So... I'm left wondering how a top general from a hostile country found safe haven on the ground of an ostensible ally.

Taking direct military action against someone from a foreign government (even if a legitimate target in war) on foreign soil is something that SHOULD be a POTUS decision, not to be taken lightly.

But more importantly, WTF are we doing in the country that allowed the target to come in.

Now, if it was under some sort of white-flag/neutral territory arrangement... then we betrayed a basic trust. If it wasn't, then it feels like we're in the process of being betrayed.

You're not wondering. You know damn well. And you put forgot to use quotes with "ally." Iraq wants as muscle they can uses at their discretion or they want us out.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Could be the president has called, time to put up or shut up

If Iraq doesn't want us there, they can tell us to leave and 'boom' off ramp to the Iraq war

If the Shias don't want us there, then they'll have to do all the heavy lifting if they don't want to be dominated by Iran or live in fear of being blown up by Sunni-aligned terrorist groups

People that think now Iraq will descend into chaos haven't been paying attention, and if we're not asked to leave we'll have a freer hand once the double-dealing Salih regime stares into the abyss for a bit. Tough to play both sides against each other when one side won't play

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It appears that Suleimani commanded combined Iraqi/Shia forces against Daesh. An Iraqi militia chief was killed with him.

One reading of those facts is that the legitimate government of Iraq is being undermined by Iran. (Granted, that's not really news.) As such, the fact that Iraq is taking a relatively strong stand AGAINST our action is a bigly problem.

If we withdraw, we concede Iraq to Iran's influence (and probably Russia's). If we stay, well... then instead of WWIII, I'm afraid we'll have Desert Storm III. (Or is it IV now?)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You're not wondering. You know damn well. And you put forgot to use quotes with "ally." Iraq wants as muscle they can uses at their discretion or they want us out.

But then the targeted killing of Soleimani - which is undoubtedly an escalation - suggests we are either already in a shooting war or are willing to be.

Otherwise, what's the strategic reason for the destabilization? We have much to lose by either a withdrawal scenario or new, multi-front war.

"Target of Opportunity" carries the weight of shooting down a Japanese Admiral's plane in the Pacific.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    CNBC: Op-Ed: America just took out a man many consider the world’s No. 1 bad guy
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/02/trump-just-took-out-the-worlds-biggest-bad-guy-qassim-soleimani.html

Very interesting read... if accurate, and my gut instinct says it is, Soleimani was the "mastermind" instrumental in implementing the mullahs' regional desires and leaves very difficult shoes to fill.

Also, the real focus should be on him being in Iraq immediately following the embassy attack, which focuses on he was planning Iran's next attack. Also, a large number of Iranians are feeling the economic pressure at home and do not support all of the money being spent abroad.

Bottom line, this was a strategic win... took out a strategic asset of Iran's adventurism that will not be easily, nor quickly replaced AND drives another wedge between the mullahs and a large number of everyday Iranians. The threat to the mullahs in further escalating is not just American retaliation - they crossed the line killing Americans and attacking the embassy - but also a revolt and coup.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Very interesting read... if accurate, and my gut instinct says it is, Soleimani was the "mastermind" instrumental in implementing the mullahs' regional desires and leaves very difficult shoes to fill.
    I don't dispute that Soleimani was a "bad guy" in terms of US interests. And heck, the interests of peace-loving people everywhere. But, I thought part of Trump's foreign policy was going to be that we weren't going to be the world's police force, or assassination force, or Rainbow 6 or whatever.

It would be great if someone could explain how this killing, at this time, furthered US interests.

Oh, and a BBC analysis - well, questioning, really - about the timing and affects.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50980704

Bottom line, this was a strategic win... took out a strategic asset of Iran's adventurism that will not be easily, nor quickly replaced AND drives another wedge between the mullahs and a large number of everyday Iranians. The threat to the mullahs in further escalating is not just American retaliation - they crossed the line killing Americans and attacking the embassy - but also a revolt and coup.

The man will become a propaganda martyr. Rather than a wedge, this appears to be a uniting factor for Iran. Meanwhile, the US is becoming more divided.

Although perhaps part of the strategy is to invite an Iranian action that unifies the US before the upcoming election.

Yeah, today I'm more cynical than usual. ;)

Top Bottom