• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    I worked at the Greenwood Galyans from 2001 through the buy out by Dicks, into 2006. there is no comparison between the 2 companies. Galyans stressed training and knowledge of your department. Dicks stresses sell through. at galyans if you wanted a paricular firearm and we didn't have it, we could order it even to the point of sending out FFL's to new manufacturers. Dicks theory is sell whatever junk might be in stock. If they don't have what you want, " you are misinformed, this H&R single shot is a far superior firearm to the Browning over under you want."

I expect that Dicks will get out of the firearms business in the near future. there personell are not properly trained in firearms sales procedure. when I took over the washington square hunting dept, I found so many mistakes in 4473's and log books that i spent 3 months just trying to correct them.I finally left when i was told by coorporate to quit looking for problems. ATF will come down on there sloppy procedure one day, and they will just get out.

I could Rant for hours about them. just suffice it to say they take there name very literally

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I've found a good deal here and there at Dicks on guns, but overall, they are woefully inadequate as a hunting/fishing store. There's a big hole in this market in the Indy area, due to high pricing at Gander.

I did score a nice Remington R15 last year at Dicks in Bloomington for about 820 bucks after all the discounts, at a time when the cheapest AR was at 1k, and everyone else (who had them) was getting 1200 to 1400 for the R15. I also snagged a nice camo Savage 93 in .17HMR with scope, for about 299, again, with discounts.

Other than those, my guns come from local gun shops.

I wish we had a Cabelas here! Crap on them for not building the one on the south side.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I wish we had a Cabelas here! Crap on them for not building the one on the south side.

:+1: to that. I used to live in Minnesota fairly close to a Cabela's, and that place rocked.

I think it would be awesome if they'd eventually decide to build a Cabela's off I-69 on the north side...say exit 14 or 19 even...

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I worked for Galyans for longer than I care to admit. It PAINS ME to go into Dick's. Socks and Jocks mostly.

Some people love Dicks, and some dont. I dont

Ah, the good ole days!

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    I don't like Dicks either, Galyans worked for me. I mainly bought camping related equiptment from them and people working always seemed knowledgeable about stuff. I spent alot at the southside Galyan's.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I saved 350.00 on a benelli M2 that I bought at Dicks. I also bought my SBE2 there. They seem to be the only one that will discount the Benelli line of guns. Other than that I have no use for that store.

Dicks wasnt the one that bought out Galyans, there was another chain that dicks bought that killed the galyans line.

Yes, I bought a super black eagle 2 there also. Paid $949.00 as it was on clearance. The cheapest I saw those anywhere else was $1499.00. I haven't bought much else from there...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I worked for Galyans for longer than I care to admit. It PAINS ME to go into Dick's. Socks and Jocks mostly.

Some people love Dicks, and some dont. I dont

Ah, the good ole days!
    Perfect description. I call it Yuppie Tailgater Heaven.

One reason to go to Dick's is to look for a deal on cases of shotgun ammo for which you may also have a Manufacturers coupon, like Remington. About once a year I wil clean up on some shotgun ammo. They will discount their case price then tack on coupon.

Lordy Galyans had a good relationship with Beretta. The best deals period in my life were on Beretta shotguns at Galyans.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    Heck, even Bass Pro shops would be better. Cabela's Superstore in WV is Rediculous, let alone their used guns section is bigger than most pawn shops

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I worked at the Mishawaka store in the hunting / fishing dept. during the summers when I was home from school. The corporate morons that run those stores really do suck. They force you so push the scorecard and credit cards on customers. As for the employees being knowledgeable, we had one guy that knew his fishing stuff, and I feel I could hold my own when it came to firearms, the other 4 or 5 hunt/fishing "staff" were idiots and just there to fill space.

I hate credit card companies with a passion and did not ever get one person to sign up for one (told people that wanted a credit card app they could apply at the front registers). The store manager was constantly on my a** for it but it didn't care and told him I had a moral objection to it and if was gonna fire me then so be it, didn't matter to me as I only worked there 3 month out of the year.

The only reason I worked there was for the discount (pretty much 30% off any fishing stuff) and a huge huge deal if i bought St. Croix rods directly from them. Remington and Benelli had good deals too for employees. It is still the only place I have seen a NEW 10/22 for 189.00 on sale (reg. 209.99).

coonslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    dicks has a good clearence on there hunting equipment thats about it and if i can get it at walmart u better bet thats were i will be gettin it from seems to be cheap prices and i get the 10 percent off just for workin for them

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OK on some items

you're right... i don't love Dicks :eek:

I don't love them either, although they are great on returned items. If I buy something that will go bad easy ( like red dot scopes ), I'll check their prices before buying.

You Can find good deal's there on sales like the ''Black Friday Sale''.

Dick's marks down a lot for it but Black Friday is only the Friday after Thanksgiving, and make sure to take the newspaper add with you.

TK :ingo:

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Maybe I missed it, but why exactly did Galyan's sell out? I was in Galyan's a few times back in the day and seem to remember them being a little too high priced.Just wondering-they did have good customer service-can't complain there.:dunno:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I miss the greenwood Galyans. I made a few killer deals there. I really miss the good old days of getting PMC .223 for $3.49 a box!!!! Now I'm starting to miss the Colt 6721 I shot the PMC through! Dick's isn't Galyan's by far, but there prices are a whole lot better than Gander Mountain. I never buy anything there. I go in looking for something in particular and leave mad at there prices. Usually it pays to shop online. I did have Dick's order my Stevens .223 ..... $289 plus tax. Sure beat Gander's $349.

Top Bottom