• Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The only things I miss from living there:

Hockey - actual hockey, not the "hockey" they have down here
    Hockey part 2: Don Cherry on CBC (channel 9 OTA)
    Sliders - White Castle is NOT sliders, no matter how much you want to say they are
    Coney dogs/Greek diners - No, Skyline and Sonic don't count. Not by a long shot.
    Olga's - If you know, you know. Not as good as it used to be, but still teh awesomz

I lived in Royal Oak for two years where I managed an apartment complex at 13 mile and Greenfield rd.

I SO miss the greek diners/coney island type diners! There is a place on the East Side of Indy called the Paragon that is pretty close. I was craving a Greek Omelet and went there earlier this week, it's pretty good!

Olgas! Oh man, I still have their discount card on my keyring, lol. Because of the racial diversity, the food in the Detroit area is awesome period. I miss homemade perogies too!

What was that one day a year where everyone eats the donut type things? What were they called?

I disagree with you on the sliders, since I grew up here. White Castle in MI doesn't have brown mustard! How can you have sliders w/o brown mustard! lol

The biggest culture shock for me was how delineated the racial neighborhoods are there. How do I explain this? Here, when you go from the "white" areas to the "black" areas it kind of eases into it, with a buffer of mixed areas. In the Detroit area, there is no buffer, cross one street (ie 8 mile) and you go from one culture into another.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What was that one day a year where everyone eats the donut type things? What were they called?

They're called "paczki" (pronounced PONCH-key) and if you want real paczki, you have to get it in Hamtramck. It's traditionally eaten on Fat Tuesday as a way to "stoke the fire" in preparation for the Ash Wednesday fast as the donut is good for something like 2000 calories. If you go to Hamtrack, be prepared to wait in line for 3 or more hours at any of the bakeries in town.

I disagree with you on the sliders, since I grew up here. White Castle in MI doesn't have brown mustard! How can you have sliders w/o brown mustard! lol

Erm... I don't like White Castle. They are NOT sliders. I think you missed the "NOT" in my previous comment.
    The biggest culture shock for me was how delineated the racial neighborhoods are there. How do I explain this? Here, when you go from the "white" areas to the "black" areas it kind of eases into it, with a buffer of mixed areas. In the Detroit area, there is no buffer, cross one street (ie 8 mile) and you go from one culture into another.

Exactly. Each ethnic background has their own section of town and it's absolutely clear when you move from one area to the next. As I said, if you want real Polish paczki, you go to Hamtramck. :D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    They're called "paczki" (pronounced PONCH-key) and if you want real paczki, you have to get it in Hamtramck. It's traditionally eaten on Fat Tuesday as a way to "stoke the fire" in preparation for the Ash Wednesday fast as the donut is good for something like 2000 calories. If you go to Hamtrack, be prepared to wait in line for 3 or more hours at any of the bakeries in town.

Erm... I don't like White Castle. They are NOT sliders. I think you missed the "NOT" in my previous comment.

Exactly. Each ethnic background has their own section of town and it's absolutely clear when you move from one area to the next. As I said, if you want real Polish paczki, you go to Hamtramck. :D

That's it, paczki! I remember my boss bringing them in, dang those things were rich!

We will have to agree to disagree on sliders :D
    There was a little joint on in Troy on Woodward, tiny white building...are those what you consider sliders? Small burgers, but bigger than a WC.

Speaking of Woodward, I do miss the Dream Cruise. A lot of the cars would come down 13th and turn on Greenfield to make a loop back to Woodward, right past my apartments. I didn't even have to leave to see great cars.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm confused. You like or you do not like WC? Because if you're telling me you like them, that's fine. You're wrong, but I can live with that. :D Also, they're not sliders.

Of course I love Sliders(WCs) :D

Allow me to quote:
    Slider or Slyder, a small hamburger as originally popularized by the White Castle fast food chain and served as an appetizer or small main dish by many United States restaurants since the late 1990s, particularly those specializing in New American cuisine. The "y" spelling is a trademark of White Castle.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Sorry boys but your both wrong. If you want GREAT SLIDERS you need to go to Power's Hamburgers in beautiful downtown Fort Wayne. :D

Sorry man. There's a lot of bad things about Detroit but the food is good.

Fort Wayne has NOTHING remotely good. NOTHING!

Cosmos is the only thing that's even close. They make a good Greek omlette. Spartan skillet comes close.....but they have silly hours. They need to be open 24/7 or at least till 2am!

Fort Wayne food sucks in general. Even the chain places taste different. The rest of the transplants know!

Now I will say I'm usually not doubting my firepower when in Fort Wayne like I do when I'm up north:yesway:

I'll tell ya what wtfd, I will try this Power's palce and report back!

To the ex-Metro Detroiters.....I worked at Olga's in my younger days. I have their secrets.........(nothing gross)

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I have only known White Castle hamburgers to be called sliders. I've been eating them for over 40 years. The brown mustard is actually ketchup and mustard mixed together.

Paczki is a Polish treat.

Every now and then I run up to St. Clair Michigan to visit friends, I generally veer out of the way of Detroit and up towards Flint, the ride is nicer and I get to miss Detroit.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    QFT! Detroit has a huge variety of awesome food.

And we didn't even blow their mind with Greektown, Mexican Town (come carrying but don;t slip up and get on the bridge to Canada...), or the Arabic food places (Hate the Jihadist but not his food:D). And let's not forget the the 55 gallon drum barbecue cookers on the side of the road! Good stuff!

Royal kicks but it's not the D. Although Memphis Smoke is a great place.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have only known White Castle hamburgers to be called sliders. I've been eating them for over 40 years. The brown mustard is actually ketchup and mustard mixed together.

Oh, you're missing out then. You need to find some real sliders. The aforementioned Bray's or Top Hat (not chains, there's only one location of each) would be a good start. In Elwood, IN on the SW corner of S 16th and S A St is a little greasy diner called Roby's. That's a close second.

Also, what the heck kind of brown mustard are you getting that's made by mixing yellow mustard with ketchup? That is NOT brown mustard.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    And we didn't even blow their mind with Greektown, Mexican Town (come carrying but don;t slip up and get on the bridge to Canada...), or the Arabic food places (Hate the Jihadist but not his food:D). And let's not forget the the 55 gallon drum barbecue cookers on the side of the road! Good stuff!

There used to be a BBQ rib joint in Troy called T-Birds that had the best ribs I've ever tasted. They boiled them first, so it wasn't true BBQ, but it beat the snot out of anything else I've ever had. They'd serve 'em with a huge mess of broasted potatoes. Never found a replacement. The place no longer exists, either. :xmad:

Mexican Town (come carrying but don;t slip up and get on the bridge to Canada...),

Ha! I've done that! Well, not the carrying part, but the "accidentally going to Canada" part. :):

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    To the ex-Metro Detroiters.....I worked at Olga's in my younger days. I have their secrets.........(nothing gross)

You know what's in Olga Sauce??

Paczki is a Polish treat.

Every now and then I run up to St. Clair Michigan to visit friends, I generally veer out of the way of Detroit and up towards Flint, the ride is nicer and I get to miss Detroit.

Maybe in Detroit that's brown mustard, but here it's a spicy mustard, kinda like a german or Gulden's brand mustard, and is actually made with brown mustard seeds instead of the traditional yellow.

And we didnlt even blow their mind with Greektown, Mexicantown, or the Arabic food places (Hate the Jihadist but not his food:D). And let's not forget the the 55 gallon drum barbecue cookers on the side of the road! Good stuff!

OK, maybe I will have to make a trip back up there, lol. There was a little sushi place in the back of an Asian Market, I THINK it was in Troy. Hands down the best sushi I have ever had, and it was cheap too. It was next to a great mom n pop record store. I would browse the record shop, then the grocery, and get sushi to go....hmm, maybe living in Royal Oak wasnt so bad after all, lol.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Which one/when? I remember eating at the original one as a kid back in the late 70's in Birmingham, when it was the only one open and was little more than a lunch counter. Eventually they changed to pre-formed burger patties that came frozen and the quality started to go down a bit. Food is still great, though.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I'll tell ya what wtfd, I will try this Power's palce and report back!

When your in Fort Wayne go to Coney Island on main street then tell me that Fort Wayne has no good food here. They've been in business since 1914. Get you 3 coney dogs and a bowl of chili, that is Heaven. :rockwoot:

I will only then accept your apology for the "no good food" comment :)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think people need to go up there and start tagging everything with "Who is John Galt"

I posted a youtube song of John Lee Hooker called the Motor City is Burning in a previous Detroit thread. I can't find it now.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Are Hinkle Burgers from Madison good sliders? They are sort of like White Castles but bigger and better.

Top Bottom