• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have used many brands of waxes, over the years. I was stuck on Eagle 1 Wet for a while. Then I decided to give the Turtle Wax Wet a try. Well worth the money. Goes on easy, does not get on molding, in crevices, and comes off easy too. Gets rid of swirl marks, light scratches and boy does she gleam. It is hands down the best I have ever used, and I highly recommend it.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    112282_front200.jpg

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I have used many brands of waxes, over the years. I was stuck on Eagle 1 Wet for a while. Then I decided to give the Turtle Wax Wet a try. Well worth the money. Goes on easy, does not get on molding, in crevices, and comes off easy too. Gets rid of swirl marks, light scratches and boy does she gleam. It is hands down the best I have ever used, and I highly recommend it.

I have been detailing for about 10 years over half that as my business, I tend to know a thing or two about these topics. so on that premise your way off base. both of those products are junk, period. they do not take away swirls they fill them in. to take out swirls(which are caused by improper washing techniques) you have to polish with abrasives. plus they have no durability whatsoever. I'm not trying to bash you but I can't think of any other way to say it. I would however be more than happy to answer any ???'s you have regarding detailing. detailing is an art and takes time to get right, and would love to help other people who care about there cars have the knowledge to properly maintain there vehicles.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have been detailing for about 10 years over half that as my business, I tend to know a thing or two about these topics. so on that premise your way off base. both of those products are junk, period. they do not take away swirls they fill them in. to take out swirls(which are caused by improper washing techniques) you have to polish with abrasives. plus they have no durability whatsoever. I'm not trying to bash you but I can't think of any other way to say it. I would however be more than happy to answer any ???'s you have regarding detailing. detailing is an art and takes time to get right, and would love to help other people who care about there cars have the knowledge to properly maintain there vehicles.

And so you recommend.......??

I have used Mothers and Meguiars wax products almost exclusively....but that may be junk too.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Yeah, you're holding out on us Tyler. Now being that you are in the detailing business you get your hands on some good wax but how easy is it to obtain for the DIY at home? Another question would be is there anything that you'd recommend that can easily be picked up at a local auto parts store?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    well you have two basic categories, over the counter and "professional" or boutique(then all sorts of sub categories from there). for kind of a good at everything OTC brand I would go meguiars they make good stuff. they also have a pro line that you can get through them or your local auto body supply. for my business 90% of what I carry and use is chemical guys brand. the biggest misconception is "polishes" you buy at the store will actually get rid of scratches and swirls. the only way to actually eliminate them is to machine polish with abrasives. but that is a whole another beast as scratches are different from swirls and generally get wet sanded first before machine polishing. 95% of OTC stuff uses fillers to hide both, couple that with less than fantastic durability make a car that will look good for a few days before they start showing up again. hers an example of a real polish. the swirls will not come back because they were polished out with abrasives.

IMG_2719.jpg

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Yeah, you're holding out on us Tyler. Now being that you are in the detailing business you get your hands on some good wax but how easy is it to obtain for the DIY at home? Another question would be is there anything that you'd recommend that can easily be picked up at a local auto parts store?

almost every product any professional can get you can too. here is a great place to look. We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store tons of info thats already printed so I don't have to type it and they carry a WIDE range from OTC to pro stuff.

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I own a detailing business as well but have since stopped in order to go to school full time. Tyler knows what he is talking about. Check out autogeek.net. I prefer poorboys products. I have a lot of detailing equipment I may sell if anyone is interested. Porter Cable random orbital and all.

I can answer questions as well.

These products can be expensive, I understand. Most vehicle owners do not know what a "swirl mark" is and many that do don't care about them. Using bad products such as turtlewax etc. is better than not protecting the paint at all. Do whatever makes you happy.

If you really care about protection and the appearance of your paint, check out autogeek.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I want to add. if wax contains silicone stay away from it try to use only petroleum based products IMHO

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yes I detailed cars profesionaly for about two years, in my younger days. I realize that totaly get rid of fine scratches, and swirl marks. You have to use a buffer, and an abravise compound. I also know not to use dishwashing liquid as car soap. Or take your car through a car wash that uses brushes. Also that using a clay bar, beofore waxing will actualy help the wax bond to the paint. Just saying for waxes that you find in the auto store, the best I have found is the Wet.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Yes I detailed cars profesionaly for about two years, in my younger days. I realize that totaly get rid of fine scratches, and swirl marks. You have to use a buffer, and an abravise compound. I also know not to use dishwashing liquid as car soap. Or take your car through a car wash that uses brushes. Also that using a clay bar, beofore waxing will actualy help the wax bond to the paint. Just saying for waxes that you find in the auto store, the best I have found is the Wet.

then why did you say it got rid of scratches and swirls:dunno: and wax doesn't bond to paint, sealants do. clay bars are for getting tar, brake dust, overspray etc. (contaminants) off your vehicle.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    are you talking about body shop compounds or finish wax? I can't think of any finish wax off the top of my head that has silicone in it.

Turtle wax for one is the worst offender. "waxes" usually have silicone but polishes do not. from what I have seen. Not all. there are a ton of products to many to remeber or itemize.
    You said it yourself it doesn't fix scuffs it feels them in. That is the silicone.

Top Bottom