Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

DeSantis headlines, Trump not invited

Seems like yet another reason to favor the Orange Man to me
    If you scroll down after reading that article, there is another one that talks about how Americans for Prosperity is saying the same things about distancing themselves from Trump.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If you scroll down after reading that article, there is another one that talks about how Americans for Prosperity is saying the same things about distancing themselves from Trump.
    Why is it surprising that RINO’s, who do not want to Make America Great Again, that Trump exposed with his MAGA agenda, are against MAGA?

Seems very logical to me and unremarkable other than I regret the years such groups fooled me into believing they were for America…

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    So, would you like your president to do what's good for the country or just what's good for his personal politics

Do you think allowing PR to be a state is good for the country? I do not

So your first assertion was that his support for the bill as a Congressman was against the wishes of his constituents and his state, pure crass political opportunism.

Once it's pointed out that 1.1 M Puerto Ricans reside in FL, the a sizable portion in the Orlando area (and his district), now it's just "personal" politics. And he should have ignored their wishes as a Congressman and a Governor in order to run for President in the future? THAT would be the crass political opportunism you first spoke of... and IMO a political loser in FL for sure.

Sounds like criticize first and figure out a reason afterwards.

Is it possible that a sizable group of PR Floridians switched to voting R in 2022? Is that good for the country? Is it even possible to ever regain the WH if Florida went blue?

And your point? That is pretty much just freedom to travel to and from or settle in the 50 states. That is a far cry from statehood
    Yup, and while there are 3.4M Puerto Ricans in PR, there are 5.6M settled in the 50 states. Allowing PR statehood determination has been a Republican party plank for decades... do you think Trump "**** no" to PR statehood garners any of those votes?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not what polls are showing…
    Depends on the poll.

those are recent polls.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why is it surprising that RINO’s, who do not want to Make America Great Again, that Trump exposed with his MAGA agenda, are against MAGA?

Seems very logical to me and unremarkable other than I regret the years such groups fooled me into believing they were for America…
    Or. Is it surprising that many .orgs think Trump is toxic? Favorable policies, mostly, but ****ty person.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Or. Is it surprising that many .orgs think Trump is toxic? Favorable policies, mostly, but ****ty person.
    I this an irrelevant question since it is all about following the money. Do you really think if Trump was CFGF (club for growth first) they would have any qualms? Heck they would provide him the strippers to **** when his wife was busy…

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    DeSantis will surely make the presidential race interesting. Time to move on from Biden for sure especially after the BS he proffered at the State of the Union address last night. Ouch!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Club for Growth fought hard against the Trump candidacy in the run up to 2016, likely because they are not fans of America First

They then cozied up to him when he had real power, and that is a knock on Trump in my book for not keeping them at arms length. Having said that, I now expect to be taken to task because had Trump done so he would not be cultivating the votes of people who hated him. I know this because the gestalt is that Trump is always wrong

If Trump wins, I fully expect that the Club for Oligarchs Growth and Americans for billionaires Prosperity (another Libertarian group and thus no friends of America First) will be prominent in the receiving line. Funny how so few billionaires are in favor of strong borders, isn't it

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Trump post D9EEE93E-DF1F-44C0-87DF-56762DBA3379.jpegpicture calling DeSantis names. Picture of 24 year old teacher DeSantis and 3 teenage girls drinking beer at a party. Conservative twins claim picture was after high school the following year at a party. Picture shows one girl holding a beer but not DeSantis. So…..? Labeling DeSantis as a groomer now? Who has done a lot in stopping much of this in FL. Is this going to backfire on Trump? Will the 3 girls in picture posing with him make comments about this. Trump has his own history but does this? I think Trump going to lose on this one, looks very childish.D9EEE93E-DF1F-44C0-87DF-56762DBA3379.jpeg

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Club for Growth fought hard against the Trump candidacy in the run up to 2016, likely because they are not fans of America First

They then cozied up to him when he had real power, and that is a knock on Trump in my book for not keeping them at arms length. Having said that, I now expect to be taken to task because had Trump done so he would not be cultivating the votes of people who hated him. I know this because the gestalt is that Trump is always wrong

If Trump wins, I fully expect that the Club for Oligarchs Growth and Americans for billionaires Prosperity (another Libertarian group and thus no friends of America First) will be prominent in the receiving line. Funny how so few billionaires are in favor of strong borders, isn't it
    CFG was not alone in thinking that Trump was the "worst" possible candidate in the 2016 primaries and the easiest for Hillary to beat. MSM and the entire liberal Hollywood left gave him every possible opportunity to upset the GOP Primary "front runners"... not because they wanted a Trump presidency, or even entertained such an idea, but because they saw that as unpossible... making Hillary's crowning a foregone conclusion.

Many... many of us voted in 2016 resigned to the "fact" that Hillary would de facto ascend...

Like the purported incestuous pictures of Trump with Ivanka, context is important. But dayam, Trump must feel desperate if he feels like this is necessary before Desantis even announces.

Yup, not a "good look"... rather pathetic actually.

A 24-year old single man at a party with THREE college-aged, 19-20 year old girls hanging on him. This is supposed to hurt his chances???

Meanwhile....

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    CFG was not alone in thinking that Trump was the "worst" possible candidate in the 2016 primaries and the easiest for Hillary to beat. MSM and the entire liberal Hollywood left gave him every possible opportunity to upset the GOP Primary "front runners"... not because they wanted a Trump presidency, or even entertained such an idea, but because they saw that as unpossible... making Hillary's crowning a foregone conclusion.
    Most of this is spot on, the media gave him millions in exposure, mostly exposure designed to humiliate republicans. For instance while trying to make Trump a politically incorrect racist they allowed his message of securing the border to get out and build momentum that still runs in conservatives today.

I would not say they gave the win over others in the primary because at the end of the day a clear majority of republicans wanted a fighter who said bad thins unapologetically…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Most of this is spot on, the media gave him millions in exposure, mostly exposure designed to humiliate republicans. For instance while trying to make Trump a politically incorrect racist they allowed his message of securing the border to get out and build momentum that still runs in conservatives today.

I would not say they gave the win over others in the primary because at the end of the day a clear majority of republicans wanted a fighter who said bad thins unapologetically…
    Not true. You can’t say a clear majority. The winner of a primary doesn’t imply a majority. If primary elections were held on the same day, the choice for everyone would be the entire list of candidates. Only then could you say that. And even then it’s unlikely a candidate will have majority in a crowded field because the available votes are distributed across the field of candidates.

By the time Indiana’s primary had rolled around, there were only two choices left for GOP. Hoosiers’ votes were distributed across just the two candidates. In our staggered primary process, earlier states successively eliminate the choices for remaining state primaries. It’s not a popularity contest.

Primaries are a last man standing kind of election process. So a candidate who knows how to play the game, not necessarily the best or most popular candidate, especially if the media really wants that candidate, will have a huge advantage over other candidates.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Not true. You can’t say a clear majority. The winner of a primary doesn’t imply a majority. If primary elections were held on the same day, the choice for everyone would be the entire list of candidates. Only then could you say that. And even then it’s unlikely a candidate will have majority in a crowded field because the available votes are distributed across the field of candidates.

By the time Indiana’s primary had rolled around, there were only two choices left for GOP. Hoosiers’ votes were distributed across just the two candidates. In our staggered primary process, earlier states successively eliminate the choices for remaining state primaries. It’s not a popularity contest.

Primaries are a last man standing kind of election process. So a candidate who knows how to play the game, not necessarily the best or most popular candidate, especially if the media really wants that candidate, will have a huge advantage over other candidates.
    I did not reference the primary specificly in that comment. Pointing out how the media helped get the message out Trump wanted to get out. I do believe if the Indiana primary had been contested Trump still would have won…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I did not reference the primary specificly in that comment. Pointing out how the media helped get the message out Trump wanted to get out. I do believe if the Indiana primary had been contested Trump still would have won…
    Yes, you DID reference the primary specifically. I do think the media pushing Trump because they wanted the weaker candidate to win, did help Trump gain popularity, because that was the goal. And it worked. Trump won, not by convincing a majority of Republicans that he was the best nominee. He won because the field shrank successively as the Primary season progressed. And at the end of which, Trump got the nomination, and had to convince skeptics to give him a go in the general. That's not what majority support looks like when ~half your voters have to hold their noses.

And if those other candidates were in the race in all states on one day, I do think it's likely Trump would still have won. Not by anything close to a majority. Trump has a fiercely loyal and sizeable following. So Trump would get his votes, and the not-trump vote would be divy'd up amongst the rest. So even if the majority of voters would vote against Trump, the person they didn't want would still win.

Top Bottom