• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I had a small role in that case in Indiana.
    [ETA:
    Ok, just did a quick google search... not "that" case, but the case that came after that one.] :D

There is some psychological basis for suppressed memories being recovered. But, it is relatively narrow and depending on how they are "recovered" are not admissible - for good reasons.

Just saying not all suppressed/recovered memories are false. If properly admitted, a jury should be able to distinguish between real and false.

I don't disagree with vigorous cross being the means to reveal the basis, or lack thereof, of reliability of the recovered memories assuming they can get past 702. However, as I'm sure you are aware, in the late '90s and early 2000s, many a reputation was severely damaged because of "therapists" with some kind of agenda who force fed vulnerable people a scenario. i have been involved in cases like that.

In one such instance, simply reading through a therapists notes revealed that an (adult) woman, when she first went for counseling, described a consensual, albeit 'illicit' relationship with the man who ended up being my client. Over the course of many visits, the therapists notes contained things like "she doesn't understand that she's not in a relationship, she's a victim" and many other things like that which were more revelatory about the therapists damaged history of relationships than what was going on with the patient. Lo and behold after about 5 months, the woman was starting to "remember" how my client threatened and bullied her into engaging in the relationship which eventually resulted in a civil suit alleging sexual abuse.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't disagree with vigorous cross being the means to reveal the basis, or lack thereof, of reliability of the recovered memories assuming they can get past 702. However, as I'm sure you are aware, in the late '90s and early 2000s, many a reputation was severely damaged because of "therapists" with some kind of agenda who force fed vulnerable people a scenario. i have been involved in cases like that.

Absolutely. That was a strange time, indeed. I'm sure bad for many people who were unjustly accused, and for real victims who - because of poorly documented therapy - could not testify as to bona fide memories.

Although a total derail from this thread, it is another example of the imperfect integration of psychology and law.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    ...and while the overall effect of the changes in the statutes of limitation may be positive, may be, they have led to a myriad of false accusations, many based upon "recovered memories" a/k/a "repressed memories". Anyone who supports the notion of "recovered memories" and tries to put people in jail on that basis should have whatever professional licensing they have revoked and other unpleasantries visited upon them.

I agree. I don't necessarily agree with a 31 yo limit, but can agree with one that is set above the age of majority. Mainly because iirc most cases of child molestation and such are done by family members.

In one such instance, simply reading through a therapists notes revealed that an (adult) woman, when she first went for counseling, described a consensual, albeit 'illicit' relationship with the man who ended up being my client. Over the course of many visits, the therapists notes contained things like "she doesn't understand that she's not in a relationship, she's a victim" and many other things like that which were more revelatory about the therapists damaged history of relationships than what was going on with the patient. Lo and behold after about 5 months, the woman was starting to "remember" how my client threatened and bullied her into engaging in the relationship which eventually resulted in a civil suit alleging sexual abuse.

Not quite the same but does have some "recovered memories" involved.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Hill_satanic_ritual_abuse_trial
    Along with this one.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMartin_preschool_trial

Top Bottom