• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I may not be Catholic, but I do consider myself fair. As I recall reading the statistics, the Catholics may have the greatest absolute number of pedo clergy, but that is a function of having a much larger organization than any non-Catholic denomination. Per capita, the non-Catholic clergy have more pedos than the Catholics do.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I may not be Catholic, but I do consider myself fair. As I recall reading the statistics, the Catholics may have the greatest absolute number of pedo clergy, but that is a function of having a much larger organization than any non-Catholic denomination. Per capita, the non-Catholic clergy have more pedos than the Catholics do.

Protestants outnumber Catholics more than 2/1. So if Catholics have more in absolute numbers, then well.....ya know.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I rode the elevator with Hastert once. I was in the house office building, got on the elevator, and someone else got on and said "Hi Mr. Speaker." Come to think of it, I was 17 at the time :wrongdoor:

Anyway, I agree about the statute of limitation being ridiculous as applied to this crime. This guy should be strung up in the public square, but he will receive his slap on the wrist and go on.

And I thought over 14 was cool with INGO now? I can't keep this place straight.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I rode the elevator with Hastert once. I was in the house office building, got on the elevator, and someone else got on and said "Hi Mr. Speaker." Come to think of it, I was 17 at the time :wrongdoor:

Anyway, I agree about the statute of limitation being ridiculous as applied to this crime. This guy should be strung up in the public square, but he will receive his slap on the wrist and go on.

thats only ok if the victim is a 14 year old male and the aggressor is a hot female teacher. Any other combination requires public hanging.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Protestants outnumber Catholics more than 2/1. So if Catholics have more in absolute numbers, then well.....ya know.

OK, if we are going to play this way, let me be more clear. The Catholic Church as represented in the United States is larger than any single Protestant denomination by a significant margin. Given that this is NOT Northern Ireland and we generally don't divide up strictly as Protestant or Catholic, that leaves us with a great number of smaller denominations none of which have anything approaching the sheer numbers of the Catholic Church when compared individually, which contributes to this perception. Given that we do not generally consider Protestants to be a monolithic bloc, my previous analysis stands in spite of your decision to go full lawyer on me.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I can't believe nobody has jumped on the "wrestling coach " angle! A guy I work with has a son who wrestles, he was telling me one day about the weigh in process........when he saw the expression on my face, he paused and said, "wow, that sounded really gay, didn't it"?

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    The problem with the catholic priests, if my memory serves me correctly, is that they did not go to jail! How can anyone in leadership position or otherwise escape prison.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, honest lawyer question here.

As I understand it part of the fallout from the Catholic priest molestation's making major headlines (NOT slamming them here, that has been done already) was a large number of statutes of limitations being rewritten to allow criminal charges when the victims were too young to seek legal protection.

Would someone be so kind as to shed a little light on this issue please?

Regards,

Doug

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yeah kinda a stupid thing to have statue of limitations on. Most kids don't come forward till they are grown and then its to late.

In this case the crime would have been a minimum of 35 years ago. So the victim would now be at least 49 yo.

In IN the statute of limitations for these sort of crimes would be when the victim turns 31. I believe that most if not all states have either something similar or that the time limit starts ticking when they hit the age of majority.
    IC 35-41-4-2
    Periods of limitation
    (e) A prosecution for the following offenses is barred unless
    commenced before the date that the alleged victim of the offense
    reaches thirty-one (31) years of age:
    (1) IC 35-42-4-3(a) (Child molesting).
    (2) IC 35-42-4-5 (Vicarious sexual gratification).
    (3) IC 35-42-4-6 (Child solicitation).
    (4) IC 35-42-4-7 (Child seduction).
    (5) IC 35-46-1-3 (Incest).
    (f) A prosecution for forgery

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...and while the overall effect of the changes in the statutes of limitation may be positive, may be, they have led to a myriad of false accusations, many based upon "recovered memories" a/k/a "repressed memories". Anyone who supports the notion of "recovered memories" and tries to put people in jail on that basis should have whatever professional licensing they have revoked and other unpleasantries visited upon them.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Anyone who supports the notion of "recovered memories" and tries to put people in jail on that basis should have whatever professional licensing they have revoked and other unpleasantries visited upon them.

I had a small role in that case in Indiana.
    [ETA:
    Ok, just did a quick google search... not "that" case, but the case that came after that one.] :D

There is some psychological basis for suppressed memories being recovered. But, it is relatively narrow and depending on how they are "recovered" are not admissible - for good reasons.

Just saying not all suppressed/recovered memories are false. If properly admitted, a jury should be able to distinguish between real and false.

Top Bottom