• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    We often get caught up in the big dollar stuff in threads in here but no matter who you are and where you live, if you don't have a dehydrator, ask for one for Xmas.

If you have one give one to someone.

The other day I felt like chilling out some before I went to work and sat down and harvested some more Purple Basil off two potted plants on our patio. I filled a 32oz plastic coffee can, dehydrated it now fills a 16oz ball jar stuffed full. That is probably $20 to $40 worth of store bought basil. I am not sure, I have not paid real money for basil in years.

The GF said we already have more than enough. She is right but I have burn out on other plants right now so herbs have my focus this week.

We are renting this house so our herb garden here is in pots, it will go with us. Our house in Indy, most of our landscape is edible. I am pretty sure the tenants are too dumb to use any of it.

All the plants here on our patio except one are edible. Plastic pots are all painted with one of four colors we chose to use. Even if you live in an apartment you can decorate your deck by growing grow herbs and dehydrate them, saving a lot of money on something very important in SHTF because variety and taste is a crucial way to break up boredom if you are eating the same thing over and over, like canned Spam in your closet.

Saving money in your daily life is a classic survival behvior. Anybody can grow herbs in pots. Basil, Oregano, Chive, Mint, Peppers and many others.

You don't even have to grow it. You can buy fruit or veggies on sale and dehydrate them. Dry a bunch of tomatoes and stuff in a bottle with olive oil. They charge good money for sun dried tomatoes in oil. Same goes for other mixes of oils or vinegars with herbs. BullS***, keep yor money and make your own, you can even give them as gifts.

I also give jars of my "famous" roasted garlic paste as gifts. People love it. Sometimes I smoke it instead of roast it. It is so EASY to make and often you will inspire others to do it as well. Next thing you know, they will grow the ingredients

On a side note, I have two small decorative pepper plants. They produce very small, colorful peppers. I pick them and jam them into small table top soy sauce bottles and keep topped off with vinegar. No need to dehydrate, just trim off the tops and stuff in bottles.
    images

31RccPiCT1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tequilla, Bourbon bottles or Beer bottles with the rubber gasket caps all hold vinegars, oils or homemade teriyaki.

I am just saying keep your money, cook better and have fun doing it.

Homemade Pizza dough, oregano, purple basil, oilive oil, one grill and a stone. I make it flat and I use this recipe for breadsticks too. Of course I make pizzas too.

232323232%7Ffp53983%3Enu%3D4548%3E98%3B%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D339456%3C299346nu0mrj

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Tried younger zucchini dehydrated into chips, lightly salted. Good stuff.

Also we batch make pesto with our basil and freeze into ice cube trays. Makes great fresh pasta dish in the winter.

Apple slices with cinnamon will not last a day. Pears great also.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    dried fruits

I have done as said above. Simply bought some fruits and vegies at the local farmers market and dried them at home for later. I hope to have a patio garden as described (again above) to be able to use my own produce. I now ask where does one find seeds that are not hybrids so I can use my seeds from next years produce to continue on?
    Thanks

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Please tell me more about smoked garlic paste. That got my attention real quick like.
    I never do less than 5 full bulbs at at time. You can fill a small Ball jar or fruit jar with 5 bulbs.

Set the bulbs down, root side down. Slice off a small part of the top of each bulb. Now line all 5 of them up side by side in a straight line, root side down, on a piece of tin foil. Fold the foil up on both sides and the ends to basically make a "boat" holding all five bulbs that will not leak.

Now drizzle some olive oil on the cut top of each bulb and let it soak in for a few minutes. Drizzle some more oil in the foil boat and seal up the foil by crimping the top of the foil. Place it in the oven at about 350 degrees when you are cooking something else. You can also put it on the shelf in your grill while you warm it up and cook. Chances are you can easily get it in there for 25 minutes of cooking time, again no waste of energy you were cooking anyway. It is hard to over cook these things since you will be making a puree anyway. If you want to smoke it, just leave the top of the foil wrap open and put it on your smoker. Just cook long enough that the garlic is soft or finish in the oven. Honestly, I am not sure smoking it added anything to the garlic taste. Garlic has a woody taste to begin with so I was not overly impressed but if I am smoking for a couple hours or all day, it is efficient to cook some on the smoker anyway.

Side note: I have a clay top left over from a broken large roasting pan. It will hold 13 bulbs, I drizzle oil and cover with foil, roast and done. Will fill about 2 jars that way. Freeze one, toss the other in the fridge.

After they cook, take them out and let cool. Now pay attention this next step will save you lots of time (about 5 times faster) and you will have zero waste. Put the garlic still in the foil wrap in the fridge. Next day after it has cooled you just pop each clove right out of its skin. While cooling the skin will separate from the cloves. Just squeeze them out like a ripe bananna.

last step, put them in a small food processor. I may add some more oilive oil depending on the texture I want. Mix until smooth. When you cook with it, you can mix it with more oil to make it spread easier etc.....but it can go in everything you can think of from sauces to bastes and marinades.

Make a note of this, yes it makes great garlic bread too but never put the paste in the microwave. You can heat the butter in the micorwave, then add the paste and mix until it disolves. The microwave zaps it in the butter and ruins it.

Oh baby its good!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have done as said above. Simply bought some fruits and vegies at the local farmers market and dried them at home for later. I hope to have a patio garden as described (again above) to be able to use my own produce. I now ask where does one find seeds that are not hybrids so I can use my seeds from next years produce to continue on?
    Thanks
    You can buy plants that are heirloom and then harvest your own seeds. I found a grower here that only sells heirloom plants. You can find heirloom seeds local or go online and order seeds.

Some of these plants are perrenial, some are not. Sage is a perrenial, looks good in the landscape and I like the flowers on Sage too. But in general, once you let a plant go to bloom/seed it will not taste as good.

The other day I also cut/pinched all the blooms off the basil plant so it would continue to produce more leaves. Basil is a tender perrenial. If kept warm it is fairly hardy. The blooms are pretty as well. You can let some plants go to seed and keep others as producers.

Cilantro seeds are Coriander. Once the Cilantro plant goes to seed, it no longer tastes worth a damn, If you let it go to seed, you can collect the seeds or just let it reseed the area it is planted in. I love Cilantro but it goes to seed so damn fast I am thinking just keep seeding new plants through the year.

Check this post for info on annuals vs perrenials. I just pulled it randomly from a Googler search
    Are ANY herbs perennial? - Herbs Forum - GardenWeb

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I have been looking for a dehydrator for a while now but not really sure which to get? Should I go for the $30-40 or $100-120 models? I have also been interested in heirloom seeds/plants. I don't consider myself to have a green thumb so I really feel like I should get that in line before SHTF so I can atleast somewhat know what I'm doing.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    As for the price of dehydrator I have a cheapo one(ronco from a tv info- mercial), just an on off switch. I have used it a lot and it works fine. I am however going to buy a new one just because I would like larger, and more trays. Also my current model only can do1 tray of a fruit roll at a time.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    how do you grow salt? its the only spice i know how to properly use
    **** in a bucket, cover it with clear plastic set up to let the moisture condense on it and run out. When dry you may find some salt at the bottom of the bucket. Never tested it.

We use the Nesco dehydrator, it is round. A lot of people also like the Excalibur which is rectangular. What is nice about the Nesco is you can start smaller (cheaper) and add to it. The minimum size is 4 trays. I think the rectangular shape of the Excalibur is a bit easier to work with. I would like to have both. Herbs only in the Nesco, larger fruits and jerky in the Excalibur.

I roasted some garlic yesterday, made the paste this morning. I always eat a few cloves when I squeeze them puppies out.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Zoub ,
    Any reason why I cant start an indoor garden now with tomatos/ peppers / so on? Even if its fall?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    box, glass on one side, vents top and bottom.

Really laying them out on screening is the old school way.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Zoub ,
    Any reason why I cant start an indoor garden now with tomatos/ peppers / so on? Even if its fall?
    Indoor is all about temperature and light, if you research it you will see a lot of ways you can go with it. I will do some herbs and sometimes I bring in a potted pepper plant.

There are even videos on youtube by Pot growers and then there is hydroponics too.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    box, glass on one side, vents top and bottom.

Really laying them out on screening is the old school way.
    And some herbs are best if they are air dried, like oregano. We have large rectangular trays we use to spread things out in to let air dry. You can add screens and drying racks to them.

Ours all came from a clean room operation and we put them on a metro cart in our basement that has a lot of shelves.

Another favorite of mine is to dehydrate tomatoes then put the slices in a large jar and fill with olive oil. They keep forever, are a great snack or on salads or in dishes that call for sundried tomatoes and you can also cook with the oil from the jar.

slyton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Albany
    I just picked up a dehydrator on CL, was a great buy! So far used it for drying out tomatoes and herbs from our garden. I suggest watching CL if you don't have one, can get them decently priced.

Great idea Zoub as for giving it as an Xmas gift.:yesway:

Top Bottom