• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Under $200? Now you are talking my language.

When I first started shooting some years ago, I tried a LOT of the cheap - Oops! - I meant to say "budget limited" handguns. Most of them have been mentioned, but I'll go through my list of suggestions too.

I would not hesitate to recommend a Hi Point 9 mm in this instance. It was my first 9mm and I had zero issues with it at the range. It fills the role of home defense just fine, although it is too heavy (IMHO) for cc. And with the price, you still have $$$ left for ammo / practice, which is necessary especially for new shooters. My second recommendation for a pistol in this price range would be a Kel Tec - either PF9 or P11. Used ones should be easy to find around $200 or maybe a bit more. I have never owned or shot one of the 9X18 pistols (cz, tok, etc.) but that could also be a viable alternative. I've heard lots of positive reports and I want to check one out for myself. If they can go up to $250 or so they could probably find a used Ruger P95 (a GREAT option!) or a S&W 9ve.

Rossi and Taurus (and Charter Armes) revolvers can be found in or near this price range too. I'd look around and see what they can find, but make sure to have a competent person with them to make sure it has no issues (timing, cylinder play, etc).

And actually, if it is strictly for home defense, the shotgun route would be a good option too. You ought to be able to find a used Mossburg 500 (or even a new Maverick) with an 18" or 20" barrel that would work in this role.

Good luck sorting all this out.
    ---
    GB!

bigwill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Will the firearm be used for the house or to carry? If only for the house I would look at a shotgun. For carry that opens it a lot a auto or revolver? Each has it's good points and bad points. First is to find out what they are able to shoot. You can pick up from Buds guns a S&W model 10 with a 4" barrel for $269 cash or 3% more for using a C/C and shipping is free. The only other cost is a FFL dealer to do the paper work and that can be as low as $10 to as high as $35

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    do I dare say to buy a Hi-point

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I have mine on my nightstand every night. 2500 problem free rounds is dependable enough for me, best $150 I've ever spent. Besides that my wife has her .22 on her nightstand and I have my 12 gauge within a short reach also.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Will the firearm be used for the house or to carry? If only for the house I would look at a shotgun. For carry that opens it a lot a auto or revolver? Each has it's good points and bad points. First is to find out what they are able to shoot. You can pick up from Buds guns a S&W model 10 with a 4" barrel for $269 cash or 3% more for using a C/C and shipping is free. The only other cost is a FFL dealer to do the paper work and that can be as low as $10 to as high as $35

Yeah, I found that deal. They also have Taurus M82s for $179, both with free shipping. I think that's the route I am going to go (I might just see if I can spring for the S&W, it's $90 more, but I think it's a better gun).

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I have mine on my nightstand every night. 2500 problem free rounds is dependable enough for me, best $150 I've ever spent. Besides that my wife has her .22 on her nightstand and I have my 12 gauge within a short reach also.

It's interesting that there are so many positive HiPoint reviews now.

I had an early one, maybe 15 years ago. While it was much better than an Lorcin or a Jennings, it definitely wasn't reliable enough that I'd want to stake my life on it. I guess maybe they've improved their quality a bit since then.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I wouldnt buy a hi point ..they might be ok and they might not..do your research.usually people are talking about their hi point with rose colored glasses..not saying their lying just saying they are very tolerant of issues..you might have to send it back but you will be out the firearm if you have to...you will invariably sell ...heres what will happen you will buy if for 200...then you will like or not..after u decide to upgrade you will giddily decide to list it for 190 thinking that is fair...after getting about 20 lowball offers you will lower the price to 185 thinking that will get it sold but heck you can get a new one if you are patient enough to wait for shipping ...finally after lowering the price to 170 you will be so disgusted with fielding the 10 lowball offers a day and weird knockoff shotgun/grandpas broke revolver trade offers you will sell it for 145 obo...so know you have to go buy a ruger p95 for 300 but you have 385 in it because you bought a cheap hi point first...do yourself a favor and pass.....
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns_pistols_and_revolvers/216935-hi_point_c9.html
    notice that it feeds fine implying that he had to bend the feed lips to make it feed fine....not sure i would want to trust my life to this one.....
    also even having a reliable hi point is like having a reliable moped that pedals or a fat gf...fine to use but dont let your ingo friends catch you using it (as seen here)
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...f_defense/212730-ok_who_was_it_this_time.html

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    There is a guy on Gunbroker from Kentucky who routinely has an assortment of used 9mm in the $200-$250 range. These usually include third gen S&W semis and Browning Hi Power clones. I have bought a few from him and they are always better than advertised. Either one of those would be highly reliable and easy to maintain. Also, I would not hesitate to second the recommendation of the CZ 82. They may have to bulk order the ammo but that is as easy as pie.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    OP, if your brother isn't a "gun person", I'd suggest you stick with a revolver. Don't get him involved with something where he's going to have to manipulate a safety before he can get it into action. I carried a Model 10 S&W M&P for years in the Army; it, or something along its lines, would work well for self-defense.

Iyyobr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    Yeah I'd save up a bit till you get the the 400 range you can really get some quality with that one, the only 2 rossy revolvers I've been shooting were owned by the same guy who said he'd never get another lol he said that after he got the 1st then said it was so bad it had to be a Lemmon lol 2nd one is just as bad. Whoever said revolvers don't jam has never had much experiance with rossy lol, also he was tearing holes with his 1911 and we all had a hard time getting the rossies even on the paper ;( used glocks go for about 400 used PPQs closer to 475 and lots of quality used wheel guns 350-450. Do you really want your life to be on the line for a shady $200 when you could have just spent a little more to have one that you know will shoot when you pull the trigger

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you want to go with a $200 gun with serious ballistic potential, A Tokarev in 7.62 x 25 packs about as much oomph as you can in a pistol.

:noway:
    The 7.62x25 is a fire-breathing monster with severe over penetration potential. Couple this with a single action only pistol with a goofy and often broken safety that was tacked on and you've got a very poor SD gun. Don't forget that commercial ammo for that is pricey.

nagant revolver will work.

The SA trigger pull is awful. The ammo is anemic and dreadfully expensive for what it is. These guns are only good to "complete the look" if you're a Russian collector.

Or a Bersa Thunder 380 if that is the caliber theme. Good little guns for the $. I picked up the CC model for my wife for 225 + tax used at a pawn shop.
    :yesway:
    This is a great gun for beginners or as a SD gun / BUG.

CZ 82's are available. AIM and Classic Arms both have them for $220. Last time I looked, Classic Arms had P64's for $190. I have both and the P64 is my EDC, at least until it gets colder, then it will be the CZ. :) The CZ is really accurate, and it doesn't get much easier to field strip a weapon.
    :yesway:

The CZ-82 is cheaper to shoot is you go with Silver Bear ammo. It's really a joy to shoot because of the decent trigger and accuracy. Finish on most is crap, but hey, it's under $250 for a CZ.

The CZ doesn't have a decocker so you have to carefully lower the hammer after loading.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I just purchased a Polish P-64 for $200. They are really cool guns (look just like a Walther PPK). They are built like tanks and from everything I read about them, they are. They are chambered for the 9x18 makarov which falls between .380 and 9mm, about same as 38spcl. The round is not sold everywhere and not the cheapest but I'll hold on to a few hundy rnds and range shoot sparingly. Makes for a great truck gun and is very slim so easy to ccw.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    The 7.62x25 is a fire-breathing monster with severe over penetration potential. Couple this with a single action only pistol with a goofy and often broken safety that was tacked on and you've got a very poor SD gun. Don't forget that commercial ammo for that is pricey....

The CZ doesn't have a decocker so you have to carefully lower the hammer after loading.

I agree with your points about the Tokarev pistol's shortcomings, but I still stand by my statement that it has the greatest ballistic potential at that price range. You can, if you must, carry it half-cocked if you don't trust the safety. You can get hollow point ammo for it that far, far out performs the 9x18 makarov by Hornady round for only a few more bucks.

As far as the CZ 82 goes, its a fine pistol, esp at the price; but that price is creeping up. They are going for $260 in gun stores now ( I paid close to this for mine).

As far as decocking it goes, place your thumb over the firing pin, pull the trigger while holding the hammer back with your thumb; lower the hammer onto your thumb, then release the trigger. Once the trigger is released the firearm cannot fire even if the hammer drops, and you can move your thumb and lower it the rest of the way.
    I saw that on a youtube vid, but not sure which one.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just purchased a Polish P-64 for $200. They are really cool guns (look just like a Walther PPK). They are built like tanks and from everything I read about them, they are. They are chambered for the 9x18 makarov which falls between .380 and 9mm, about same as 38spcl. The round is not sold everywhere and not the cheapest but I'll hold on to a few hundy rnds and range shoot sparingly. Makes for a great truck gun and is very slim so easy to ccw.

Check online. Silver Bear, LVE, etc. are abouth $9 - $11 a box. Cheaper than .380.

As far as the CZ 82 goes, its a fine pistol, esp at the price; but that price is creeping up. They are going for $260 in gun stores now ( I paid close to this for mine).
    Got mine for $200 - shipped about a year ago. :):

As far as decocking it goes, place your thumb over the firing pin, pull the trigger while holding the hammer back with your thumb; lower the hammer onto your thumb, then release the trigger. Once the trigger is released the firearm cannot fire even if the hammer drops, and you can move your thumb and lower it the rest of the way.
    I saw that on a youtube vid, but not sure which one.

Yup. :yesway: But that's not something I want to teach to my wife or her girlfriends.

Top Bottom