Defensive Carry - 1911, Semi Auto, Revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is your primary EDC firearm?

• Total voters

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Ive got a subcompact XD in .40 that i plan to carry as soon as the state sends me my license to do so, im also lookin at picking up a lil .22 to throw in the pocket just to have around, im hopin that thing comes in the mail sooner than they say

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    Have carried all, but for pure defense a revolver is your best bet. I keep a J frame SW in my pocket even when i am packing my 1911 or my MP. makes a very good back up also.

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    I carry my USP compact 9mm IWB as my EDC. However, I am looking for a nice OWB holster for my p226 .40 to OC just to switch it up a bit. Especially since it's getting warmer out.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Right now, I carry my Kimber Ultra daily, but I'm thinking about going back to the Bersa 9HC. The Kimber is a great gun and very accurate, but I'm faster with the Bersa shot to shot and do like having 18 rounds on tap vs. the 8 in the Kimber.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Right now, I carry my Kimber Ultra daily, but I'm thinking about going back to the Bersa 9HC. The Kimber is a great gun and very accurate, but I'm faster with the Bersa shot to shot and do like having 18 rounds on tap vs. the 8 in the Kimber.

I'm right there with you on this one. I'm actually getting rid of my Kimber (too costly for a safe queen) and might be getting rid of my S&W 1911PD for the same reason. I'll keep my S&W 1911 Perf Center because it just to nice to let go. I'm buying a M&P 9mm that holds the 17 rounds for the same reasons you stated above, plus it will match up nicely with my existing 45 M&Ps.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I am a 1911 fan - I worship them. However my EDC is a M&P 9C. I have total confidence in tis weapon. Why don't i carry a 1911? I would be pissed to have a case number engraved in the slide of my Kimber or Colt!!!

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I carry my G17 a lot, but my .357 snub is with me always. It is more versatile in terms of carry modes, and it is more convenient to just slip in a pocket when I am not leaving the house or just running out for gas or whatnot. The snubnose also has the advantage of being much more discrete to carry. My Glock disappears in the Raven holster...until I have to bend down or something. Also, even if I am carrying the Glock, the snub goes into a backup role, so it is still *always* on me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    These days, my EDC is my J-frame.

When I get the parts for my Raven Phantom (and a better belt), I'll carry my M&P9c more.

-J-

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Primary is generally a S&W 325 PD...

325pda.jpg

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I carry a 1911.

Why? Well, there are a few reasons.

1) It's by far the most ergonomic pistol on the market. I've owned or shot just about everything on the market and while there are some very shootable pistols out there, none of them fit my hand like a 1911 and none of them have such logically placed controls.

2) The single action trigger of the 1911 is unmatched by any other pistol on the market. While the safe action triggers pioneered by Glock and copied by most every other manufacturer (Ruger, XD, M&P, etc.) are better than a DA pistol since your trigger pull is consistent, they don't even come close to matching the trigger of the 1911.

3) The 1911, if made by a reputable manufacturer, is one of the most reliable and robust pistols ever made. Sure, Glocks and XD's are reliable too, but the 1911 is no slouch in the department.

4) All of the above leads to a pistol that is the most accurate pistol I've ever owned.

5) Even shooting the .45 ACP the 1911's design allows for exceptionally fast follow-up shots as it doesn't suffer from the muzzle jump found in other designs of the same caliber like the G21, XD45, M&P 45, etc. The added weight of the steel frame coupled with unmatched ergonomics make it one of the fastest shooting pistols out there.

6) Even the full sized 1911 is easily carried either in a OWB holster or an IWB holster. They are thin and unobtrusive, truly a great companion pistol.

7) Simplicity. The 1911 is easily stripped to its very basics. You can remove every single part and replace any part yourself. Unlike some of the more modern designs, it's extremely easy to strip all the way down.

8) Options. The 1911 has more after market accessories than any other pistol I can think of. There are a large number of custom gun smiths out there offering just about any customization you can think of.

That pretty much sums it up. :)

Oh... one more.

9) It's 100% American. The 1911 is as American as apple pie and baseball. It inspires patriotism and confidence having that big hunk of defensive steel hanging from your hip. It served our nation for over 75 years as our primary military handgun and fought in every theater of the world. Grunts loved it, and our enemies feared it. There's nothing like a 1911 in .45 ACP... two completely American items.

When I die, I've instructed my wife to bury me with two items. A 1911 pistol and the USMC EGA.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Most of the time my G19 occasionally my Kimber Ultra. The latter I find slightly easier to conceal but I don't like the cocked and locked hammer.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    1911 here. Mostly officer or commander size but have been known to carry the government model as well. It's pretty hard to beat the 1911 in my opinion. Also have a snub nose .357 that is seeing more carry, usually as a backup but still prefer the 1911’s.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Kahr PM45 most of the time, followed by my Sig P220 Compact. I recently bought an M&P that may well replace the Sig in rotation after I get to know it better.

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Story (Brown Co)
    I like my 1911 as well, I don't worry about how many rounds i have; just shot placement...I do enjoy reading what everyone carries and what they are comfortable with.

Top Bottom