Defensive Carry - 1911, Semi Auto, Revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is your primary EDC firearm?

• Total voters

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm curious, what do you carry the most?
    As I practice more for defensive carry I am finding that I am going to carry my M&P semi almost exclusively. I have a mixture of 1911 and S&W M&Ps in .45 and am adding an M&P 9mm. Due to my pure comfort having a round chambered and the finger safety I do not think I will carry my 1911s for defense reasons any longer.
    I've tested it and I am faster on target with my M&P over the cocked and locked 1911 and I do not have a safety to worry about. (Plus the added rounds.)

1911 fans, don't get me wrong, I love the design and have three nice ones. I'm just asking about EDC.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I think a poll like this was running a week or so ago. I responded then that I don't have my LTCH yet, but when I receive it I intend on carrying my Ruger P97. If that turns out to be uncomfortable, then I will try the RIA 1911M1, if that doesn't work then I'll put on the PK380 and if all else fails I will go to the Helwan 9MM.

It's nice to have options, I just hope that I can make the Ruger work.

msmith103

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Hendricks County
    M&P

I carry the M&P because I do not have to worry about any safeties on them. My safety is my finger. The more stuff on the defense weapon, the more things that can go wrong. :ingo:

Matthew

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I may have been thinking about something else

I did some searches and found nothing. But when you search for 1911, semi, edc, etc, you get a lot of results. None seemed to match.

It wasn't my intent to be snotty about your question/poll, I was just saying I think there was one.

Maybe it was to do with another subject, and in my defense...I have slept since then.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I love the XD 40sc because there is no safety that I need to worry about. However, I held a H&K 40 yesterday and loved the DA feel! I will purchase it, but it may be a little large for CC.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Every day for me.

DSCF9028.jpg

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Not to sound trite, but when SHTF time comes, that 1911 on the belt is worth a WHOLE LOT more than a cell phone to dial 911 in your pocket.

I have two 1911's:

Gov't sized built on Caspian frame and slide by D&L Sports, Gillette, WY
    Colt Officer's Model, also by D&L Sports.

Caliber: Why, .45 ACP naturally.

bergx7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Good thing about revolvers is they are very reliable, and the new hammerless models cant be stopped by a BG by grabbing the hammer (or slide on a semi-auto poly gun). Seeing as a vast majority of incidents happen within touching distance, this is important. Also, if you have to jam a semi-auto into a BG's chest when at close range, this can push the slide on a semi auto back far enough that it wont function.

That being said, I prefer poly guns (I own HK and XD) but anyone who owns anything other than a revolver needs to make sure they consistently run drills to practice failures (type 1,2,3) because eventually you will have one (hopefully when using crappy range ammo and not the good stuff) and furthermore you need to be aware of where a potential BG is going to grab and how to avoid it...

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Depending on what I am wearing and what I am doing but for the most part I carry a Taurus pt111 9mm, but I prefer to carry my para p13-45. I also carry a 327 fed. mag. revolver for variety sometimes.

Top Bottom