• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Don't ever skimp on defensive ammo, esp. in a 9mm. Don't worry about over penetration, be more concerned about getting your hits and what is behind your target. I don't know of a 9mm round that doesn't have a decent chance of going through and through at close range. That doesn't mean it WILL go through and through or even that most of them will. Your tactical decisions should just assume that they will. Remember that you're using a handgun. They're not high powered rifles or shotgun slugs. You need to be shooting the nastiest bullet that you can launch through the barrel. Penetration is your friend and how you achieve the required damage to incapacitate the criminal trying to kill you.

124g Speers have a great reputation. As do federal hydrashock, gold sabre, etc. As far as raw penetration/damage tests that I've seen, 124g seems to be the optimal load in IMO.
    I've carried and run all of the above defensive ammo in my 9mms with no problems. Your glock should pretty much eat whatever you feed it, but be sure to test fire some random rounds from the boxes you buy.

Last edited:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Pick something off this list ==>> Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Function test in your firearm.

Then, quit worrying about your specific load and develop your mind and skills (i.e. read, take training, etc.).

With respect to obtaining such ammunition in today's current situation, I've had the most success with online sources that let you sign up for an email when the load is back in stock.

:+1:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been running Hornady Critical Duty 135g in either standard or +P in my CZs. I don't feel much of a difference in shooting between them, but you might in a lighter gun like the G19.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It's a good time to be a pistol owner. The latest ammo for 9mm has made it arguably even more effective than a .45 or even .357mag of several decades ago when a SWC or RNFMJ was all you had.

It's been argued that if today's 9mm ammo existed in the 1980s, then the .40SW might not exist. There's probably something to that.

Top Bottom