• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    147gr Federal HST here (+p if you can find them). I've watched several videos on YouTube, testing various JHP ammo....Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T & Speer Gold Dots are top tier rounds. Everything else is a step down IMO.

+1 on 147gr HST. It's probably the single best performer (per FBI/IMBA testing) of any 9mm load on the market.

If this round had been available in 1985, the .40SW might not exist.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i carry hornady critical defense in all my carry guns, with the exception of my G19. i bought a box of Critical Duty (LEO ammo) at a gun show because i couldn't find any at gunshops (this was in Jan)
    supposedly its the same as critical defense. looks the same at least.

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    i carry hornady critical defense in all my carry guns, with the exception of my G19. i bought a box of Critical Duty (LEO ammo) at a gun show because i couldn't find any at gunshops (this was in Jan)

The Critical Duty I purchase is a +P 135Gr. The overall length of the Duty is longer than Critical Sefense as well. They are different rounds meant to meet different goals.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hornady Critical Defense in mine.

I'll second this. THey make critical defense in a 115 grain version, and maybe in a 124 also. I think they also sell other 124 grain bullets in their "Critical Duty" line. Also look at their TAP line.
    Hornady ammo has always run flawless for me. I find them at Dick's and MC sports here in Bloomington (pre-madness)

Others have recommended Gold Dots, Winchester PDX or Ranger, Remington Golden Sabre, etc. Almost all of these will run you about $1 per shot -- so it's not plinking ammo. However, whichever ammo you try, buy DOUBLE what you need (i.e. if you want to have 100 rounds handy, buy 200) so that you can shoot at least a few magazines of the new ammo for function check in your gun.
    Glocks eat just about anything without many difficulties. Trust but verify!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Critical Duty and Critical Defense are actually a good bit different. Duty is less expansion and more penetration (like shoot through door and windshields and such). Defense is not barrier-blind.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    124 gr. Gold Dot +P in my Gen. 3 G26
    A big second on that one. My 19 groups the GDs very tightly. And if I'm not mistaken the ISP and NYPD use the 124gr+P as their carry round. NYPD has reported very good 1 and 2 shot stops with violent offenders.

All the bonded SD rounds are excellent because they are engineered to perform within a certain velocity range and through different barriers and clothing. BUT, I guarantee your pistol will prefer one or two over the others for accuracy. It's expensive but get some Gold Dots, HSTs, Rangers, etc and shoot them off a rest. Stock up (good luck on that) on whatever you do best with and feel confident.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    Critical Duty and Critical Defense are actually a good bit different. Duty is less expansion and more penetration (like shoot through door and windshields and such). Defense is not barrier-blind.

unaware of this. if i happen upon a box of critical defense i'll pull both apart and report back.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I would pick four of the best that people have posted and shoot them. Even if you shoot the entire box that is still around $100 for the four boxes. First find the one that cycles best in your gun. Second find the one that holds the tightest group. I tend to use the heaver round in the winter time do to additional clothing, coats and so forth for the bullet to penetrate.

For self defense, I personally like Winchester Ranger ammo but will admit with all the balistics tests I have seen I believe the Gold Dot performs best. :twocents:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Pick something off this list ==>> Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Function test in your firearm.

Then, quit worrying about your specific load and develop your mind and skills (i.e. read, take training, etc.).

With respect to obtaining such ammunition in today's current situation, I've had the most success with online sources that let you sign up for an email when the load is back in stock.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    This^^

I gotta say, as much as they GDHP always seems to do really well in ballistic testing, it seems to me that the nasty sharp talons of a Ranger T have to matter some way in the real world.

Personally, I'd prefer the non-bonded version because the talons are much more pronounced than the Ranger Bonded and it expands a good bit more.

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    I would pick four of the best that people have posted and shoot them. Even if you shoot the entire box that is still around $100 for the four boxes. First find the one that cycles best in your gun. Second find the one that holds the tightest group. I tend to use the heaver round in the winter time do to additional clothing, coats and so forth for the bullet to penetrate.

For self defense, I personally like Winchester Ranger ammo but will admit with all the balistics tests I have seen I believe the Gold Dot performs best. :twocents:

I ended up going with gold dot. ill test it out

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJZFZFmBKa0[/ame]

Doesn't get much better than that IMO. And (if) you can find them, you can get a box of 50 for 29 bucks :)

Top Bottom