• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    If I recall there are any of three things the prosecution can prove to disallow a self-defense plea. I can't remember what they are. I'll try to look them up again later.

1. "B.... owed me money."
    2. "He was tappin' my b.... h.."
    3. You're seen wearing the dead m..... f..... Air Jordans.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    finity - Please do look up those three things. I am interested in hearing them.

Here they are in a recently posted case:

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/10310706jgb.pdf

Pg. 5, 1st full paragraph.

It goes on to say that:

Finally, we note that when a claim of self-defense is raised and finds support in the evidence, the State has the burden of negating at least one of the necessary elements.

So even if you use the claim of self-defense (admitting to the crime but with jusification) the state still has to prove it wasn't self-defense.

JHAWK1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here they are in a recently posted case:

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/10310706jgb.pdf

Pg. 5, 1st full paragraph.

It goes on to say that:

So even if you use the claim of self-defense (admitting to the crime but with jusification) the state still has to prove it wasn't self-defense.

I may not have read that well enough but it read as though the defendant was involved in a drive-by. This is what I would call murder, not self defense.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I may not have read that well enough but it read as though the defendant was involved in a drive-by. This is what I would call murder, not self defense.

True but he tried to use SD as a justification for his actions. That's why the discussion turned to the elements of self-defense & the burden of proof required of both parties. That's what JoshuaW asked me to post.

Yeah, if the facts were as presented then he got what he deserved.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    LOL the idiot does a drive by shooting & claims self-defense!?!?!

Anyway I believe Finity was referring to this part of that .pdf:

(1) was in a place where he had a right to be; (2) did not provoke, instigate, or participate willingly in the violence; and (3) had a reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm.

In a home invasion scenario I am guessing that all 3 of these would be easily met, unless of course the home invasion was committed by a neighbors child who crawled through a pet door or something in order to follow the animal inside of the house.

FULLMAGAZINE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    IMHO and IMHO (Humble and Honest)

1.) Having your attorney show up before the LEO does is probably twist-able by the Prosecuting Attorney as the same as fleeing a shooting scene. Might even show premeditation. Call 911 first. Give as few details as possible about bullets.

2.) Interrogation involves questioning; it does not involve ANSWERING.
    Full M.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    LOL the idiot does a drive by shooting & claims self-defense!?!?!

Anyway I believe Finity was referring to this part of that .pdf:

(1) was in a place where he had a right to be; (2) did not provoke, instigate, or participate willingly in the violence; and (3) had a reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm.

In a home invasion scenario I am guessing that all 3 of these would be easily met, unless of course the home invasion was committed by a neighbors child who crawled through a pet door or something in order to follow the animal inside of the house.

Yes. Basically common sense. If you shoot and DONT meet those criteria, you should know what is coming for you, IMO.

Finity, thanks for posting those. I was aware of those, but wasnt sure if that was what you were referencing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom