• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Still a little new to Indiana hunting so I still need to get my law degree to understand the ins and outs if how the tagging works. So I didn't take a deer the last couple of weeks with the shotgun. Is that tag still good for muzzleloader only? :dunno:

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Did you buy the $24 firearm deer license? If so, that is only good for the firearm season which just ended. You would need a ML license to hunt the ML season.

If you bought the bundled license for $65 then you are good for ML and Late Archery.

I am also a noob to hunting. Can someone else back me or correct me on this?

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Still a little new to Indiana hunting so I still need to get my law degree to understand the ins and outs if how the tagging works. So I didn't take a deer the last couple of weeks with the shotgun. Is that tag still good for muzzleloader only? :dunno:

Only IF it was a bonus tag. Your general firearm tag is now defunct

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Did you buy the $24 firearm deer license? If so, that is only good for the firearm season which just ended. You would need a ML license to hunt the ML season.

Yes, if he wants to pursue a buck he needs to buy a MZ tag. It is good for either sex.

If you bought the bundled license for $65 then you are good for ML and Late Archery.

Yes.

I am also a noob to hunting. Can someone else back me or correct me on this?

see above..

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So my current tag is ok for a doe not a buck and I have to buy another for a buck?

We don't buy tags in Indiana, we buy licenses. If you bought a firearms license for the firearms season then NO it is no good anymore.

A firearms license (now expired) is good for 1 antlered deer ONLY.

A muzzleloader license is good for 1 antlered deer OR 1 antlerless.

A bonus antlerless is good for all seasons.

Deer Seasons and Bag Limit Summary | Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide | eRegulations.com

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Ok so if that is right and most people hunt during firearm season why would it only be good for bucks on the first deer? That is retarded why not let the people just looking for something brown to shoot kill does to so the buck population grows?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Ok so if that is right and most people hunt during firearm season why would it only be good for bucks on the first deer? That is retarded why not let the people just looking for something brown to shoot kill does to so the buck population grows?

Welcome to the land of retarded deer hunting laws. Don't forget to leave your high-power rifle in the safe too.

One license is good for one deer. Unless is a bundle license, then its good for three. You can only take one antlered deer per year. You can take it with an bow, or during firearms season, or during muzzleloader season, but you only get one buck per year. If you kill more than one buck, you are now in deep trouble with the DNR, could be arrested for poaching.

May sound obvious, but... Firearms license is only good during firearms season (as hammer24 already said, its only good for 1 antlered deer). Muzzleloader license is only good during muzzleloader season (can be 1 antlered deer or 1 antlerless). You can kill two deer per year with a bow either sex, but again, you can only take one buck total per year, and only take one deer per license (with the exception of the bundle tag).

Hammer24 will let you know if I mis-stated anything! :)

On the bright side, there's some real nice deer in Indiana. Good Luck!! :yesway:

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

So that they have to buy another antlerless license so that they have 2, one for buck and one for doe....more $ for the state. Thats why I bought the bundle license.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

That is exactly what bonus antlerless licenses are for, kill does if you want, in any season you want. :dunno:

Top Bottom