• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I hit a doe and broke her back last summer, late at night,in a neighborhood.I don't know how long she would have lived.I found her heart with a five inch fixed blade.My son had a friend riding in the car with us...he acted like I was a barbarian or something.

I think that would be less than popular with the public especially with a public servant doing the kill. Probably be on all the local news stations in short order.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I think that would be less than popular with the public especially with a public servant doing the kill. Probably be on all the local news stations in short order.

Haha, as if turning "Bambie's" head into a slushie with an "assault weapon" would not be frowned upon by the media. :)

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Haha, as if turning "Bambie's" head into a slushie with an "assault weapon" would not be frowned upon by the media. :)

Yea it might be if the wrong person witnessed it. But it would be easily defended. Using a knife would be to I guess but man you know how these libtards are. Oh Wait....I can get a sledge hammer:bash:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It didn't have a seizure, that was the deer's systems in overdrive trying to fend off death at its doorstep

A bullet hole through the heart and or lungs will kill rather quickly.

The deer may have been in shock, or had a broken leg, just laying there conserving energy. They can be rather fragile at times, and incredibly tough at others.

Evidently those on scene saw enough damage to decide to end the suffering.

If they shot it in the head it may have died quicker, but with that, it may have also had a more unsettling looking exit. I've shot smaller animals, with HP rifles, blown their heads completely off, and had the remaining carcass rather animated, for comparable periods of time (to what the OP stated).

Chest is bigger, the vitals easier to hit. The body offering a blanket should the bullet go through and hit pavement.

Cop made the right call.

Sometimes killing animals is rather uneventful/clean.................sometimes not.
    With that, sometimes what you think is going on, isn't.

5-10 seconds of kicking, not unusual.

Beats sitting down in a ditch having a coyote disembowel it while it's alive (more than 10 seconds of departure process).

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    You don't finish deer off with a knife. Some Nimrod up north 2 yrs ago tried that, deer took him out.

Big chest, put a hole through both lungs. Fire up the grill.

Depends on the situation...certainly you must be sure the animal cannot move.This was a situation in which I did not want to fire a weapon,but did not want the animal to suffer while waiting on the CO or someone.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    A few years ago my wife and I had just left my friends house in the country late in the evening. As I was leaving, he said "watch out for Deer". About two mile down the narrow country road, just as I met another car, a 200 lb or so PIG ran across the road right in front of us. The pig had apparently escaped from a large confined feeding facility about a 1/4 mile from the scene. The car I was meeting hit the pig with his front bumper and the pig bounced off and slammed into the side of my van, denting the driver door. Both I and the other driver stopped, I jumped out and drew my 45, figuring I would be dealing with a badly injured pig that may need dispatched. The other driver apparently thought I was going to attack him so I quickly explained. After examining the pig I found he was expired, so just drug him off the road. I did go back to my friends house and asked why he warned me about the deer but didn't say a word about the darn pigs.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    I have posted here before on this issue.
    As a former LEO in a rural area, I have put many deer who were injured out of their misery.
    I accomplished this task by using a .38 snub nose loaded with JHP ammo and one shot to the head.
    I have seen C.O.'s use .22 magnums with the same effect.
    It humanely kills the animal without a lot of thrashing around etc.

EM45HP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Indianapolis/Bloomington
    So was this before or after he pulled in front of the old lady and cut her off?

Happening simultaneously. I was in the car behind the elderly realtor. Stopped and yelling and pointing with his right hand; pumping slugs into the deer with his left. Must have been left handed or anorexic cause I can't shoot with my weekhand. +1 to the LEO on seen for supreme multi tasking skills.

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    The head shot is often times not instantly lethal or at all sometimes. the heart or lungs is for sure the biggest vital area where the animal will expire for sure in a short period of time.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Your pig story reminds me of my mother and sister, they hit a deer a couple weeks ago. They were on a country road, and my sister saw deer in the field, to the right. She said, Hey! Deer! and my mom looked out the passenger window, and BAM she hit Bambi who was on the left, and crossed in front of her while she was looking at the deer on the right. She doesn't carry, the officer that came out had his sirens and lights on. The deer got up and ran away because of the noises/lights. Face was all smashed, and probably had numerous broken bones. Probably died in the woods. She had fur all inside her wheels, as well as a cracked headlight, and bent fender.

Top Bottom