• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I carry an 1984 in .44 mag, so I can also use the same ammo in my sidearm, when I'm hunting out west or in Minnesota. Walking and hunting all day long, I don't want to carry two different loads and the Hornady LeveRevolution cartridges have worked awesome for me. I also have an old .357 S&W Mod 19 at home and have been thinking of getting a lever gun that caliber as well.

Around here, I think the .357 is more than adequate for the whitetails, but Mulies definitely need a bigger punch from the .44. However, around here, I much prefer stalking whitetails with my 30 year old Jennings Sidekick compound. No better adrenaline rush in hunting...

DBpB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    New Albany
    You can get these Thomson Center Hawken rifles VERY reasonably right now. You'd think we were out on the plains and they just invented breech loading cartridges the way these are listed in the classifieds.

My dad has two TC muzzleloaders that he's willing to let me borrow. :rockwoot: I'm going to take them out this weekend and learn how to use them. The only problem I've been having is locating the right gear to load. Dad's one of these that has to be special, so when he bought them 20+ years ago, he had to buy the 54 cal's. My fav gun shoppe, and the best prices in town, just moved over to the other side of the river on the SE side of Louisville. I'll find what I need by this weekend though.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My dad has two TC muzzleloaders that he's willing to let me borrow. :rockwoot: I'm going to take them out this weekend and learn how to use them. The only problem I've been having is locating the right gear to load. Dad's one of these that has to be special, so when he bought them 20+ years ago, he had to buy the 54 cal's. My fav gun shoppe, and the best prices in town, just moved over to the other side of the river on the SE side of Louisville. I'll find what I need by this weekend though.

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:ROTFLMAO! We must be related some how. I bought a 45.

I highly suggest any one starting out get a 50. What ever you get, buy a bullet mold and it's irrelevant. I've got several from muzzle loader 45 cal bullets to bullet for 45-70 and I've shot about everything but pea gravel in it.

In your case I'd just go with what your dad is already using and expirienced / knowledgeable about. Commonality of gear and all that.

maarlborogto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    henry

I was looking the other day at one a henry golden boy it was i think 400 at a gun shop. thoes are nice or you can get a muzzleloader for really cheap and the new inlines will most of the time out perform the pistol cartriges even in a rifle

Top Bottom