• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    I've hunted Muzzle loaders for year and while I'm sure I catch stuff for this, the ONLY muzzle loader out there for me is the Savage , Smokeless powder, accurate, basically a 50 cal rifle, Easy 250yd gun, Reliable, Clean, and very scope friendly,

Bingo! skip the rifle that you'll only be able to hunt with for 2 weeks (or 9 days under the proposed rules). Get a Savage 10 ML-II. It can be loaded with a mild load like a 250grain bullet at 1800fps (plenty for whitetail) all the way up to a 300grain bullet at 2300fps (plenty for anything in N America).

Last edited:

speedygoss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    lots of different makers out there , but you can use in a rifle, 357 or bigger with max case length of 1.625 in ...357 mag , 41mag , 44 mag , 500 s&w , 458 socom just to mention a few . There is a bolt action centerfire rifle that is legal chambered in 358..dont know alot about it , but i do know a guy who has one its a remington 700 in short action ...H&R makes alot of different single shots in pistol calibers that are legal for a small cost . All of these seem to shoot very well ....If you get a chance check the indiana department of natural resources website for all of the rules ...THANKS JESSE

Jesse,

I see 458 socom mentioned in your list above. This is a popular caliber in the AR platform. Would an AR chambered in .458 Socom be a legal method of take In Indiana? And if so I would assume there would be a magazine restriction?

Last edited:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Jesse,

I see 458 socom mentioned in your list above. This is a popular caliber in the AR platform. Would an AR chambered in .458 Socom be a legal method of take In Indiana? And if so I would assume there would be a magazine restriction?

Yes, .458 SOCOM is specifically listed as a legal deer round in IN. There are no magazine capacity limits in IN for deer. You can't shoot more deer than you have licenses for so why would a mag capacity limit be needed?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'm looking to get a rifle to use here in IN this year, but I'm not really familiar with the legal small calibur rifles. Can you lend some advise as to what I should look for, and where to find one at a good price? As is just about everyone now adays, I'm not swimming in cash, so I'd like to look at the lower end of the price range. I'm also 6'2" and have long arms, and most that I've seen seem to be a little short for me. Do I just need to get used to it or have I just not found the right one?:dunno:
    Thanks in advance!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/firearms/103752-h_and_r_44mag_12ga_slug_combo.html

Right there is a fair price on a good deer gun, both barrels for the price of the 44 rifle alone puts it right in the ball park for used guns and a nice deal for all involved.

speedygoss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Yes, .458 SOCOM is specifically listed as a legal deer round in IN. There are no magazine capacity limits in IN for deer. You can't shoot more deer than you have licenses for so why would a mag capacity limit be needed?

Allot of States have magazine restrictions on Semi-Auto rifles when used for hunting. AZ limits you to 5 rounds. I have done some cyote hunting with my AR and had to purchase a 5 round Magazine to keep it legal. I couldn't find it in the IN. Reg's, so I thought I would ask. :dunno:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Allot of States have magazine restrictions on Semi-Auto rifles when used for hunting. AZ limits you to 5 rounds. I have done some cyote hunting with my AR and had to purchase a 5 round Magazine to keep it legal. I couldn't find it in the IN. Reg's, so I thought I would ask. :dunno:

Sorry. I didn't mean to come off as sarcastic. I was just saying that I agree that there should be no magazine restrictions for deer for the reason I stated.

davers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I own a couple of PCR's one a Ruger Model 77/44 inwhich I have taken six Deer with. I have a NECG Receiver Sight for Ruger M-77's and I replaced the front sight with a Williams Fire Sight 530 M #60237. My other PCR is a Rossi PUMA Lever Action in .44-40 Win. but I haven't taken any Deer with it other than one Groundhog.

JUMBO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I use a marlin 1894 levergun chambered in 41 magnum with a 3-9x50 scope. I mounted the scope on steel see thru scope rings Just as effective as the 44 but less percievable recoil. I use the federal fusion ammo and it is a win win for me! If I could find another marlin lever gun for for dad that would be awesome, as I think I have Dad pretty much convinced that a pistol cartridge would be a better option for him now, as he is getting older and been having some shoulder problems when hunting with his slug gun.

I am getting 1/2 groups @ 100yds and thats pretty good seeing that i have a elcheapo tasco scope on the .41, has consisitantly held zero. I may even just give him the 41 this year and find me another rifle to hunt with.

Shotguns are good hunting companions, however, My first hunt with a pistol cartridge made me a convert instantly!

If price is the issue, get one of those h&r combos, I dont think You could go wrong with it for the price. 44 ammo is easy to come by. and it is a simple design so less prone to some type of malfunction.

Regards,

Scott aka Jumbo; The Venerable Crapper

arma73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Morgan Co.
    Just start going to the gun shops and start to find the best rifle that fits you well first. Then if they have a range and offer a model you can shoot a couple of rounds through would be the best method. 44 mag seems to be the winner for me...:cool:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    At the true lower end of the price range, H&R makes a single shot .44 Mag that we sell for about $250, and Rossi makes a single shot .44 that we sell for $230. Betcha you can find them at least a little cheaper elsewhere with some shopping. The H&R feels more solid and better put together to me, but the Rossi has sights, which the H&R lacks. Both rifles come with scope bases mounted. Customers are happy with both, and report very good accuracy with both. I've had a few of the H&R shotguns over the years, and they've always served me well. Cathy had a Rossi matched pair 20 gauge/.22 LR that also served us well through some hard use. Can't really go wrong with either.

Both are also available in .357 Magnum. The .357 does a fine job, but if you don't already have a gun and reloading stuff in .357, the guns in .44 cost the same, and pack a good bit more punch. We seem to get more .44 ammo in than .357s, also.

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    Ditto on the .44 Mag rifle. I have the H&R Handi-gun ($249 I think) with a good scope and it's a killer. Light weight too. Single shot but drops deer DEAD. Fun and easy to tota and shoot.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have a Marlin 1894 lever .44magnum, I will be buyibg another one for my son.

Do you have any problem with keyholing? I can't get many rounds to be accurate with my 1894 with anything over 240 grains. 300 grain rounds go in the target sideways at 100 yards. :xmad:

I love lever guns, but makes me wonder if I should have gotten a Ruger 77/44.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Marlin 44s have to slow of a twist rate to stabilize 300 grain bullets. They typically handle the 240-260 bullets better.

Mine did shoot a 270 gr. gas checked cast bullet fairly well. But I'd advise sticking with the lighter ones.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yes I have hunted, haven't gotten one yet. Took a shotgun out the last two years. Two years ago I didn't see anything when I was out. Last year I saw a few, totally missed one, and the other two shots I took were out of range. I like shotguns for skeet, pheasant and quail. Just doesn't seem to be my thing for deer.

I wouldn't put thousands of dollars in to a gun for hunting something with a 9 day season. I'd hunt with what I've got until we see exactly what the DNR does next year with all these rule changes they are promoting.

:rolleyes: of course then I look around and see I've bought 7 or 8 guns to deer hunt. Just shows I do stupid things sometimes or even 7 or 8 times like any one else.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks for all the insight. Maybe I will try a muzzle loader this year. A frnend of mine and my dad has been trying to get me to for a couple of years now. I've just never used one. Will have to try to get some practice in before then.

You can get these Thomson Center Hawken rifles VERY reasonably right now. You'd think we were out on the plains and they just invented breech loading cartridges the way these are listed in the classifieds.

17547Copy_of_10_pointer.jpg

aTWPDeerHawken-1.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom