• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hey INGO,

What are you wearing when deer hunting in November / December?

I will be hunting during shotgun season in central Illinois this year, and I am trying to figure out what I should plan on picking up. I have a lot of waterfowl gear, but nothing specific for sitting in a tree stand.

Since November in the area is not always super cold, I am thniking I should be considering lighter outer layers and then just layer underneath as needed.

Specific examples from the big box stores would be great as I have access to most all of them.

Tips and suggestions welcome!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have found the trek to the stand can be overheating with too much clothing. Then you sit in a stand, get rained on, snowed on, so now you need some repellant stuff. I usually backpacked bibs, and rolled my heavier jacket. You probably need some hunter orange stuff to a certain degree, so you may check out their requirements in Illinois. A poncho does help, but you need to not get sweaty.

Boots are a tough decision. I don't like rubber boots, prefer nylon -thinsulate lined, and good socks.(carry spares if you get sweaty)
    Lot of guys recommend rubber, but after walking a couple miles they seem to slip and move on my feet.

Gloves: My pref is mittens w/ shooter fingers, or end opening. Have used many styles, and again thinsulate helps. Even used mechanic type nylon, not really warm, but good fit and work well for other field things.

I carry a minimum kit of compass/map, Buck knife, Lighter/matches, whistle, mini mag lite, couple snacks, water or coffee small thermos, extra shells(slugs), cell phone(shut off)-top shirt pocket, hunting license. Tell someone responsible, your basic area, and ETA home. If you don't show, call the DNR/ Sheriff have their number handy to help find you. Good to have a partner.

Good luck.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    For hunting in 40-50 deg. I layer up with a light layer of T-shirt and shorts followed by athletic pants and camouflage long sleeve shirt kind of like under armor with light camo jacket over that and regular camo hunting jeans over that. If I get too warm I can unzip or take off the jacket and still be camo'd.
    When it gets colder I have a shirt and pants I made from a wool blanket that I wear over the above mentioned t shirt and shorts but under a heavy camo coat and pants.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Treestand wear
    Gloves: I have two different gloves. On my non-shooting hand I wear a mitten or highly insulated glove. On my shooting hand I wear a lighter weight glove and if need be I put a hand warmer or two in it. One on the back of my hand and one in the palm. Doesn't affect shooting and keeps my hand warm.
    Boots: I wear insulated, waterproof leather work boots. If it's going to be cold I wear wool socks and add footwarmers if needed.
    Everywhere else: Layers are your friend. It's not uncommon for me to wear a t-shirt, waffle skins, flannel shirt, hooded sweatshirt and a rain jacket. For my lower half I usually wear long johns, jeans, sweat pants if it's really cold, and my bib overalls, plus rain pants if it looks like rain or snow.
    On my head/neck I'll wear a baclava, a felt neck gaiter and a wool hat.
    I also bring a wool blanket for use wherever it's needed, whether it's across my legs, under my butt or under my feet.
    I actually pack most of this in so that I don't get all hot and sweaty on the walk in, then I'll sit at the base of my tree stand for about 10 minutes to cool down, add most of my layers and then climb on up.
    If I'm hunting out of a blind I probably have most of this with me, but wear very little as I have some heat in my blinds.
    As you can see, I don't use special clothes for hunting. This is what works for me, others may not care for it.
    I hope this helps.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Layers are good. I always dress a bit light and have hand warmers to add heat of I need to. As others said, the walk to the stand could cause a lot of sweat if you have too much stuff on.

As far as patterns, browns and greys always work well if you can break up your outline. It's less sensitive than some early fall hunting where really good camo is a must. I like a face mask to keep the wind off my cheeks.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Poly pro under layers, fleece layer next, then cabelas mt050 gore tex bibs and coat. The bibs and coat get packed in sometimes. Gore tex gloves if it's cold or wet, flip open style when it's moderate temp. Muck boots.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for all of the input.

Two questions:
    - I am struggling with the debate on insulated or non-insulated bibs. What is your take?

- Any specific camo patterns that anyone really has a preference towards?

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Camo patterns really are a personal preference.

i use insulated bibs. It keeps my legs and butt nice and warm and adds one more layer to my core.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0

Two questions:
    - I am struggling with the debate on insulated or non-insulated bibs. What is your take?

Insulated bibs.
    Camo pattern to match the area.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'll most likely wear what I've worn for the last three seasons, starting at the feet: Cotton Socks/Wool socks/disposable footwarmers/Wolverine boots with Gore-Tex, Long Johns/sweats/baggy jeans, Long Johns/t-shirt/sweatshirt/Carhartt coat with gloves, and ski mask with blaze orange ballcap.
    Depending on the temperature, some of the inner layers and the foot warmers may be omitted, or handwarmers added.
    The below item is optional:
    Marlin_1894_45_Colt_Camo.jpg

Okay, just kidding about that last part. ;)

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Insulated bibs are the way to go. I don't think camo pattern is all that important for deer. I wear a solid blaze orange parka and get deer right up to within 5 yards on a regular basis. Red flannel was deer woods clothing for a long time. Scent control and sitting still are the two most important things to a successful hunt IMO.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Warmer weather is jeans,shirt ,and my coveralls. Cold is the same but add thermals and some other layers depending on how cold. Boots I wear insulated leather boots with wool socks or something. Last year I was not prepared. Layered up good but I wish I had just one more layer,atleast another jacket or something. 11 degrees the first morning and the next just as cold and snowing in Greene county.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Insulated bibs are the way to go. I don't think camo pattern is all that important for deer. I wear a solid blaze orange parka and get deer right up to within 5 yards on a regular basis. Red flannel was deer woods clothing for a long time. Scent control and sitting still are the two most important things to a successful hunt IMO.

Camo helps hide the people who can't sit still
    My first set was all brown set of overalls with jacket. Sat against a log with my dad.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Poly and merino wool layers. If moving lighter layers work. If sitting those heavier or multiple layers better. Take care to keep wind and water away from skin.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Layering is definitely the way to go. I wear a ScentBlocker suit from early archery season until it gets into the 30s. I can wear that with a T shirt when it's warm or several layers when it gets colder. I have Arctic Shield bibs and coat for really cold weather. That stuff is so warm I don't hardly have to layer up. I wear Muck boots WoodyMax and use Arctic Shield boot blankets when it gets in the 20s or lower. I don't like bulky gloves b/c I mostly bow hunt so I use a hand muff from Icebreakers. It is by far the warmest hand muff I have ever had. Also as someone else already mentioned, when layering make sure not to wear it all once leaving the truck. Carry your outer layer(s) then put them on once you have cooled down after getting to your hunting spot.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Two questions:

Insulated.

When its really cold I wear the same Walls insulated coveralls that I've had for close to 20 years. They are RealTree all purpose grey. They break my outline up pretty good even though they are starting to get old, faded, and frayed. Had a spike buck literally right under my stand last year just stare at me for about 5 minutes. I guess he knew something was up there, but couldn't figure out what it was, and just walked on by none the worse for wear.

If its warmer I like the new Mossy Oak infinity. Seems to have good depth to it and is a bit more brown and green.

I do think camo is a bit like fishing lures...all the pretty colors and varieties catch way more fisherman / hunters than anything else. There are some good patterns out there, but knowing how to use it is more important than having the exact right color. Heck, there are all kinds of stories from guys that have had successful hunts in blue jeans and a flannel shirt.

The biggest thing any camo pattern is going to do is break up your outline so that it is less obvious there is something not natural perched in the tree or propped against the log. Beyond that it would be hard to scientifically prove that any particular patter is better than the other. Clearly the better you blend in the better it will be at breaking up the outline. But at the end of the day none of that matters much if you are moving around and making a bunch of noise. Someone that is uncomfortable, or cold, may very well move around a lot and do more to spook game than any camo can break up.

So, greens and browns for early fall hunts while there is still some green brown color in the woods. Browns and Greys for later fall and into the winter when most of the leaves are off the trees and perhaps even some snow on the ground.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom