• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Appreciate all of the input.

Ive been debating the need of insulated bibs because the temps still seem to be a little warm in central Illinois for first shotgun season (Nov. 20th ish).

Yes - I understand that a camo pattern is all preferences and that everyone has an opinion. Just trying to determine what shades / colors are best for that time of the year.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Maybe I'm putting to much thought into it, but non-insulated bibs when its not that cold and Insulated bibs when it is ???? Hmmmmm, seems easy peasy to me, but what do I know ????

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I deer hunt in WI every year. It always starts the Sat before Thanksgiving and ends the Sunday after - 9 days.

I have hunted from -22 below to 72 degrees.

Here are my suggestions.

1) Insulated bibs. Depending on the length to the stand and the temp I may pack them in and put them on when I get to my stand.

2) Back Pack. Get a big one which will be large enough to hold said bibs, hat, gloves/mittens, etc. Perhaps boots as well although I have only packed them in once.

3) Muff. Gloves/mitten are never enough when sitting in 25 degrees let alone 10 degrees. A muff with hand warmers can save you.

4) Water proof jacket/coat. I have one with zip out insulation and a hood. You have to have a waterproof hood.

5) for cold weather the single most import item is a fur hat. Mine is beaver. You can sit twice as long with a good fur hat. Amazing warmth that nothing else comes close to.

6) Pac boots for cold, thinsulate for not so cold but all waterproof.

7) good set of polypropylene underwear. If you sweat these help a lot and they keep you relatively warm.

8) a good wool shirt. Not flannel, not a sweatshirt but an actual, honest to goodness wool shirt. Buy one and you will wonder why you were so dumb or cheap.

9) Blaze orange shorts. For the one time it's 72 degrees and you sit shirtless with nothing but shorts on. I wish I had pictures from that year. My brothers and I were all set up shirtless deer hunting in WI in Nov. Every gas station was sold out of ice and i got a sunburn..

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ok time for my 2 cents.

If you are like me and have had many hand injuries (broken bones) circulation tends to be a problem when it gets cold. I am a HUGE FAN of the wool military surplus glove liners!!! I use them fishing in Canada and hunting during the fall and winter. LOVE wool it is the ONLY thing out there that will still keep you warm when wet. They are thin enough to wear while you shoot and stalk. Now these are paired up with a hand muff. place a couple hand warmers in there and you are GOOD TO GO while sitting in the stand.

Socks.....SMART WOOL SMART WOOL SMART WOOL....did I mention smart wool.......merino wool in my opinion is one the the best base layers for hunting....warm, dry, wicks sweat, and you don't get to stinking like the other synthetics out there. Now you will pay a little extra for them but I promise you they are worth it.

Layers...merino wool base, then some polar fleece, covered over by some lite rain gear. the rain gear works as a great wind block and if you are in a tree stand or corn field that means EVERYTHING!...the lite rain gear can be smashed into your pack for the walk in, walk out, or if you start to get hot. The fleece has no wind blocking ability and allows you to cool fast but the merino wool also keeps a warm layer against your skin so you don't get chilled...

That's my system in a nut shell......well some of my friends would say that it is THE nutshell.

By the way.....I do everything I can to stay away from cotton....heavy, holds onto moisture, and when wet all it does is make you COLD.

As for a pack. I try to keep it simple and small. I am already caring a climber into the woods why add something else massive. I actually prefure a large expandable fanny pack with shoulder suspension. This allows me to carry my stand on my back without having to stack it ontop the backpack. I also have a tendency to get out of the stand and like to do some stalking so I try to keep nimble and not have to pack 20 extra pounds over the hills down south.

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I'll most likely wear what I've worn for the last three seasons, starting at the feet: Cotton Socks/Wool socks/disposable footwarmers/Wolverine boots with Gore-Tex, Long Johns/sweats/baggy jeans, Long Johns/t-shirt/sweatshirt/Carhartt coat with gloves, and ski mask with blaze orange ballcap.
    Depending on the temperature, some of the inner layers and the foot warmers may be omitted, or handwarmers added.
    The below item is optional:
    Marlin_1894_45_Colt_Camo.jpg

Okay, just kidding about that last part. ;)

Plus one on the bang stick!

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Every year can be a bit different, I believe last year I was already wearing my insulated clothes in late archery season in October it was so cold in the mornings. Then we had a short heat wave in November.

I have found that If I can keep my core warmer, my day in the stand is much more enjoyable. The day when the temps call for a high of mid 50's to low 60's can be a challenge. Many times I have opted for just my thermals and a basic hunting pants and medium jacket to find it overcast and windy and after awhile I am freezing cold. By the time it finally warms up late in the day I am miserable.

Here is how I dress now... I have a 3 setups for all season and mix and match if the temps when I start in the morning are in the 30s or below. Even if it is late archery and its going to be 30 degrees when I hit the stand at 5:45am I am going to error on dressing in my cold weather gear for socks, boots, bibs. I can easily put on and peel off jackets and shirts to help regulate my temp should the weather spike to 60+ degrees or stay cool. I find though that I can get away being dressed warmer in my lower body if it gets warmer but not the opposite. If I mess up and dress to thin in my pants and socks and it doesn't warm up I am done for.

Early archery:

- Basic BDU style pant
    - Good all year smartwool sock
    - Moisture wicking T-shirt
    - Long sleeve moisture wick 3/4 zip
    - Non-insulated boot
    - Thin texting friendly glove

Late Archery Season:

- Moisture wicking thermals
    - Basic Camo BDU Pants/ Insulated bibs if we are seeing morning temps <= 30's
    - Year round smartwool sock/heavy weight if we are seeing morning temps <= 30's
    - Mositure wicking t-shirt/ 3/4 mock neck shirt if we are seeing morning temps <= 30's
    - Long sleeve moisture wick 3/4 zip
    - Medium weight Jacket
    - Insulated Muck boot
    - Thin texting friendly glove
    - light weight fleece mask
    - Hand Muff around waist if we are seeing morning temps <= 30's

Gun Season:

- Moisture wicking thermals
    - Insulated Bibs
    - Heavy weight smartwools with wicking liner sock
    - 3/4 mock neck shirt
    - Camo sweatshirt