• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I do my deer hunting over in the PRIL, so I use a Remington 870 Express(currently a 20 ga) with a rifled barrel. I'm gonna be getting a 12 ga 870 with the cantilever barrel, but I'm not sure if I want to put a red dot or a scope on it.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    ....have been wanting a rifle for deer season since they changed the laws for rifles.

....how about some pics of what you guys are using and reasons why you like them. thanks

The Contender & Encore based cartridges/barrels I keep around for show and tell are all out for caliber engraving at the moment.

But I found a few bolt guns to show off.

All are Indiana Legal "Pistol Caliber" Rifle Cartridges.

From top to bottom:

500 BFG, 1.570" .510 projectile. Commercial Mauser, 15 twist Pac-Nor Super Match, Hogue Stock.

358 BFG 1.620" .358 projectile. Winchester WSSM, 14 twist Lilja, McMillan Supergrade stock.

458 BFG (SOCOM) 1.575" .458 projectile. Savage 10. 14 twist McGowen, factory stock.

358 Gremlin 1.490" .358 projectile. AR-15. 14 twist McGowen.

BFGRifles.jpg

Why I like them:

500BFG325Barnes.jpg

358BFG200gHornady.jpg

458BFG.jpg

358Gremlin180SSSP.jpg

Last edited:

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    deer rifle

ok fireball you have my attention. more info please. website where i can see how these were done? have savage 10 308. would this be just a custom barrel switch for the 358? thanks:popcorn:

Last edited:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    BFG Cartridges, the Home of the 358 Grendel, 358 BFG, 450 BFG, 458 BFG and 500 BFG

I'm shy of the 358 BFG on a small shank Savage. If it is currently or originally chambered in a WSM or RUM, it wouldn't be a problem.

The rest of the cartridges aren't a problem on the small shank.

The newer centerfeed actions tend to feed the WSSM and SOCOM based cases better than the older staggered magazine actions(box attached to the action).

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    358 gremlin

so the 358 gremlin would be the best bet for the .308 action? would this be just a barrel switch. if so who sells barrels? thanks again

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Hmmm.... I'm not sure I agree; do you have any experiances or data behind your opinion or are you just being a hater?!?:dunno:

30 years of shooting them to start with.

Not that I trust a gun magazine with out seeing it for myself but, 30 years of reading about the as well. It's not that convincing except for never seeing that first article or study outside of the manufacture who claims those fins accomplish anything but a sales gimmick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug

Add in the fact most shot gun barrels are not dimensionally consistent enough for the sides to "gripe" a slug and spin it and pretty quick the concept of "fins" starts looking pretty silly.

How ever, I have been wrong before. If you want to think it makes them spin it's ok with me. This is as much as I care.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    usually hunt with a 629 classic but have been wanting a rifle for deer season since they changed the laws for rifles. how about some pics of what you guys are using and reasons why you like them. thanks
    Haven't heard that...they actually permit use of regular (not black powder) rifles in Indiana now? Since when?

savageayape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Martinsville
    In order to hunt deer with a rifle in Indiana: Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of at least .357 inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    deer rifle

82 yards to be exact. speaking of me changing. what are you going to use this year, your 870-1100-ultra slug-629-ruger hunter or something new? now go to bed son. dad

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Ruger 44mag

Hi, Have the Ruger 44mag carbine & really like it. Not near the recoil as 12ga. shotgun. Quick follow up shoot if needed. Don't think you'd be disappointed with one. I have the newer model,clip feed. 2" groups @ 100yd. I'm no sharpshooter. Hard to hold crosshairs steady on target.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    so the 358 gremlin would be the best bet for the .308 action?

would this be just a barrel switch.

if so who sells barrels?

"Best" depends on how much energy you need to put downrange, and how far out you plan to shoot.

I'm fond of the Gremlin, low recoil, light powder charges, a relatively simple conversion.

You'll need a 7.62x39/PPC action, or bolt head if you're running a Savage($75). Otherwise, its just a barrel swap. Maybe a little attention to the magazine box and follower for feeding.

I sell the barrels, dies and formed brass.

jimd46902

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Kokomo
    I have a Marlin .357 that has done in a few deer. None got away and none ran more than 20 yards. These were killed with factory 158 gr loads and I hope to improve the resuts this year with 180 gr hand loads at around 1800 fps. I am so impressed with this rifle that I sold my rifled shotgun and have started using it for coyotes within 100 yards.

koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    I use my smokeless muzzleloader. Shoots .458 barnes triple shocks. nikon omega on top. no offense to your 458socom, but i've never needed more than the one shot. drops like a rock. One shot. one kill.
    P1010297.jpg

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I went with a 500 S&W in an Encore Katahdin, but have reconsidered the need for that much power and will be trying the opposite end of the spectrum this season with a MGM 16" 357 Mag Encore.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I wanted a shotgun, as well as a deer slayer, so I got the combo. Combine this baby with the Remington AccuTip Bonded Sabots, and the deer have no chance. .58 cal bullet that punches 3 inch groups at 100 yards. The deer just fall :D
    0909081213_0001.jpg

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    I often find these threads pretty entertaining, if nothing else. To start, I would put my Tar Hunt slug gun up against any deer gun out there out to 200 yards. It might be cool to go out there with 20 rounds of .458, but is it the "best?" Define best, but I take best to mean "quickest kill through means of most accurate and most deadly." For that, 12 ga slugs win.

Hunting should be all about making the expiration of the game as quick as possible. Out of five mature deer I have seen shot with 12 gauge slugs in the last 2 years, 3 dropped in their tracks and 2 ran a combined 60 yards. Any gun being discussed will take a deer cleanly with a good shot, what about a jerk? A half inch, 300 grain slug puts new meaning into "flying ash tray". If I had to pick a bullet to make a gut shot with, this would be it.

.44's are certainly potent deer medicine, and .357's out of rifles gain some velocity. Lots of deer have been killed with these and lots will fall in the future. These rounds just have the ethical distance limitations flatter shooting rounds don't have.

As far as the wildcats, I don't know enough about them yet, so I'm going to sit it out. I sure think they are interesting, and it is always fun to get around the government (I don't think they had these in mind for PCR's). I imagine these would give accuracy and range with some velocity and you could load them with quality hunting bullets.

schoolmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    My go to deer rifle at the moment is a Savage MLII. It has a custom .45 cal. Pac Nor Barrel and a 3.5X10 Leupold in Leupold quick release rings on it. It is the anniversary model with B and C reticle. It shoots the 195 gr. Barnes EXP into 1 inch at 200 yards. However, I recently purchased a .44 mag Marlin lever action and am working up loads for it for use next season. This rifle has mild recoil and is not too heavy, accuracy has been good so far. I think it will make a good walking around rifle.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom