• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Well you are not that far from a guy south of Sheridan that raises them. Mule Barn Rd and 193rd st. Or just north of that on Mule Barn. Wow, that guy there has some brutes. I mean these things will make you have nightmares....just monster whitetails. The guy is pretty nice but gets funny when you sit for too long. We have driven down his driveway several times just to look. Normally wave and say hi when we do. Worth drivin by Oct/Nov before he cuts the antlers off.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    WTF is deer farming? I assume you want to grow some big bucks..and by grow I mean feed them and inject them will all sorts of nasty crap to make them grow big antlers...so wannabe hunters can pay you tons of money to buy em and shoot em and claim they are awesome hunters? if thats the case then have fun and I hope you make tons of money off these douchebags!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I know a guy who does this in Greensburg. They sell the semen and an occasional buck. I'm not sure how profitable it is, but they have been doing it for a while. He's not on INGO, but I can connect you if you are want to talk to him.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    ok its too early for reading .... I clicked the thread because i thought it said "beer farming" lmao... but can i add that beer and deer are really good together.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I tried deer farming .....

No matter how deep I planted them I just couldn't seem to get them to grow ....

Must be some special fertilizer you need or something ?:dunno::dunno:

If you find out let us know , I love homegrown deer ..:D:ingo:

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    If you are thinking of an investment I would go with Bison.

I think they'd be hard on fences! There was a guy a few miles away that had some bison but they're not there anymore. I was just thinking and trying to get feedback.

Of course it'd be for the money! Gotta help pay for the farm. Needing some sideline cash.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Deer farming is a MONEY PIT. It takes a lot of money to get started if you want to have anything worth selling. Have to buy bread does or button bucks from big deer. Hopefully the does come from big deer too, they aren't cheap. A few years ago when the economy was rolling, it was pretty good business. I had a buddy get into it right when the economy took a dump and he's having a pretty rough go at it. He's 3 years into it and is yet to turn a DIME and he's doing it right!

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Aggar...yes there is an elk farm right where I am referring to. The elk farm is just south of the whitetail deer farm just across the bridge. Like I said, I've seen it several times and he has some monster whitetail out there.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    WTF is deer farming? I assume you want to grow some big bucks..and by grow I mean feed them and inject them will all sorts of nasty crap to make them grow big antlers...so wannabe hunters can pay you tons of money to buy em and shoot em and claim they are awesome hunters? if thats the case then have fun and I hope you make tons of money off these douchebags!

It is amazing how smart some people think they are....:n00b:

I have been farming deer for the better part of the last decade. Never injected any "nasty crap" into a deer to make it grow. To make them grow you selectively breed them. Injecting "nasty crap" into a whitetail will have the opposite affect! Do some research before you pass on judgement on an entire industry.............

OP, If you are ever in Northeast Indiana I would be happy to take you on a tour of several farms I have managed and let you know the ins and outs of what it takes. As stated earlier it can be a rough market but very doable. I started just to learn and study whitetails and thier habits. As the passion grew I pushed on into the genetics and breeding. Interesting fact is that in Texas the whitetail industry has surpassed the cattle industry in revenue.

object%3E

Last edited:

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I think they'd be hard on fences! There was a guy a few miles away that had some bison but they're not there anymore. I was just thinking and trying to get feedback.

Of course it'd be for the money! Gotta help pay for the farm. Needing some sideline cash.

They are not a domesticated animal like many others so I think a lot of people can be fearful of them. I have also heard that they can be hard on fences. There are some about 5 miles from me and I know they want a premium for the meat.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I might take you up on that sometime when we're done in the fields. Id just Like to see some set ups and see if my area is going to be good enough.

It is amazing how smart some people think they are....:n00b:

I have been farming deer for the better part of the last decade. Never injected any "nasty crap" into a deer to make it grow. To make them grow you selectively breed them. Injecting "nasty crap" into a whitetail will have the opposite affect! Do some research before you pass on judgement on an entire industry.............

OP, If you are ever in Northeast Indiana I would be happy to take you on a tour of several farms I have managed and let you know the ins and outs of what it takes. As stated earlier it can be a rough market but very doable. I started just to learn and study whitetails and thier habits. As the passion grew I pushed on into the genetics and breeding. Interesting fact is that in Texas the whitetail industry has surpassed the cattle industry in revenue.

object%3E

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The deer herd in Indiana is estimated by some to be over 300,000. We don't need any deer farms, we need longer seasons and bigger bag limits. In 1934 the Whitetail was extinct in Indiana, the DNR trapped and released 400 deer. There is no accurate count of how many white-tail deer are in Indiana. But there are indicators that the numbers continue to rise. Phil Bloom, a spokesman for the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, said hunters took a record number of deer last year: more than 130,000, the highest since Indiana legalized deer hunting 60 years ago.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    If you get a chance, you should head out to mule barn rd and check out the deer he has. My pops sent me a pic which i would post if it wasn't hard to see. He said he has several albino bucks as well as others with massive racks! Palmation (sp?) and all....

Top Bottom