• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Why fix or change something thats not broken? I have taken alot of deer with my single shot H&R 20ga. that has a fully rifled barrel and a Leupold Vari-XIII scope. It's very accurate out to 120/130 yards and I'm shooting Lightfield 2 3/4" sabots. If I went with some of newer and faster sabots like the Hornady SST...I could probably get good results out past 150 yards...but most of my shots are less than 75 yards.

Last edited:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I have two shotguns that are set up for deer only use. If I were to buy another gun for deer that is not a shotgun then these would be of no use to me. I will keep what has been working for me for years,

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    I don't plan on getting a rifle for Indiana deer season, as I already have a Savage 10ML-II that will outperform most of them, even if I only have one shot. I gave up the shotgun 10 years ago, and bowhunted all season long. For the past 5 seasons, I have been going afield with the muzzleloader during gun/muzzleloading seasons because I just love my Savage and its ability to take deer out beyond 200 yards.

deerslayer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    indpls in
    even though i love my mossburg 500a i i have yet to miss anything i shoot at with it i think i would still use a riffle one reason i like a new gun in the safe and i am from la and didnt even start useing a shoot gun till i got to indiana

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I have a Ruger 44 mag carbine (1964 vintage) and a Puma lever rifle in 45 colt. Both are very accurate. That said I am still going to use my Marlin Slugmaster bolt action 12 gauge and Remington Copper-Solid slugs. I have taken 14 deer with this shotgun and they were all one shot kills. It is big, heavy and ugly but it gets the job done and I see no reason to change.

davers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I own a fully rifled barrel for a Browning Gold & also a Ruger MDL 77/44. But since I moved to Kentucky, I mainly use either one of my .308's or my .270 rifles for Deer Hunting. Planning to hang on to the Ruger 77/44 but planning on selling the Browning Gold 20 ga Sabot barrel.

Legba

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    NE Indiana
    A JC Higgins bolt action 20g is what I use. Puts them down every time. I use it for Deer,Crow,Coyote and turkey. Not broke don't fix it.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I use a Remington 1187 if im still hunting come firearms season. I would drop my shotgun in a minute if we could use rifle calibers in Indiana. The way things stand right now, ill stick with the 12ga.

7.62shooter2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Central Illinois
    Who needs a shotgun or a rifle ... I just about had two this morning with my Silverado. ;) I was rounding a curve at the bottom of a hill ... they had all of my lane. I went left and they went right, thank God!

I'm going to Black Powder next season. I've taken a few with a 12 ga. and will have it as a backup plan.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Who needs any kind of gun when you can shoot a MATHEWS????

You mean "Who needs a gun when you can shoot a BOWTECH?" right? I actually did hunt several seasons with just a bow, and my friends thought I was crazy. They're probably right.

Ive hunted several seasons with only a bow, even all the way through firearms. I think it is more of a challenge, which just makes it more fun for me. And you both mean "Hoyt" right?

I say just hunt with what you are comfortable using to take deer, wether it be a shotgun, rifle or a bow.

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    Only thing i ever had was a 870express, now I use a muzzelloader. ALOT lighter to carry, and I bow hunt as well. I like the challenge the longer i have been hunting. Just wish I could have bought the lifetime license before they hung it up!!!!!!

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    I've hunted the majority of the past 20yrs with a shot gun and bow. Last year during firerm season I only took my Ruger 44 mag hunter to the woods and had a great time taking 3 deer out to 80 yards. Handgun hunting is just a challenging as archery when your choosing your shots. I'll be taking that and maybe try my dads new .358 out.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    If I could find a nice older Marlin .44 at a good price, I'd switch, 'cause I think they're cool. Don't "need" one,though, as my rifled and scoped mossy or muzzleloader both do the job at the short ranges you're limited to in the thick woods around here. But, I'm keeping my eyes open.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I just can't bring myself to using anything other than a bow for deer hunting. I still shoot my 30 year old Jennings compact compound bow...no sites, no counter-balance, etc., ...never used a treestand. There is no bigger adrenaline rush deer hunting than standing next to a tree or by some brush 20 yards off a deer path and taking down a buck.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Until they legalize all rifle calibers include the .270 and .35rem I will stick to shotgun and bow. 870 for the shotty, and PSE for a bow. I can't see spending more money just to get a LEGAL rifle caliber to hunt deer when the shotgun can be just as effective and you can hunt multiple things with the same weapon. Don't get me wrong you could squirrel hunt with a .270 but there might not be much left.

Top Bottom