• ...and so much more!
  • stale_ranch

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2024
    Carmel
    Hey all, currently looking for a concealed carry/general use handgun and I’m between 3 potential options right now, being:

CZ p01 (decocker or omega)
    CZ shadow 2 compact (my thought being the optics cut and the general improvements over the p01)
    MAC/tisas 9 ds (the bull barrel and optic cut version)

I want to be able to carry this future gun for as long as possible and have parts availability without spending all my money to maintain it if something does go wrong, so any insight would be appreciated. I’m not extremely experienced with firearms but do have common sense and know how to follow directions, and have worked on the omega platform and 1911 platform before. Thanks!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Entirely up to you, but in case you were not aware the Shadow 2 Compact does not have a firing pin block for drop safety (similar to 70 series 1911). May not be a concern for you and I won't argue that at all, but in case you were not aware, could be a consideration for a carry gun.

stale_ranch

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2024
    Carmel
    Entirely up to you, but in case you were not aware the Shadow 2 Compact does not have a firing pin block for drop safety (similar to 70 series 1911). May not be a concern for you and I won't argue that at all, but in case you were not aware, could be a consideration for a carry gun.
    I was aware but I appreciate the input. As far as I’ve seen, it’s still drop safe at least with the stock firing pin, but you shouldn’t go slamming it on the hammer or put an extended firing pin in it, but it factually is one less safety feature. Also, the MAC doesn’t have a firing pin block but if I remember correctly it locks on safe, so it’s all up to what kind of safety you want to sacrifice.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Looks like you are pretty set on a da/sa gun based on the options? Describe a bit of why you are looking toward these and we could probably provide some additional input without going too far away from what you are looking for.

For example is there a specific reason you have veered from some of the more popular striker fired guns? Are there specific requirements you are seeking?

stale_ranch

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2024
    Carmel
    Looks like you are pretty set on a da/sa gun based on the options? Describe a bit of why you are looking toward these and we could probably provide some additional input without going too far away from what you are looking for.

For example is there a specific reason you have veered from some of the more popular striker fired guns? Are there specific requirements you are seeking?
    I don’t have anything against striker fired guns, I’ve just found myself enjoying da/sa and sa handguns more, specifically czs as of late, that’s about all it boils down to. Prior to this post I had a p07 and a sp01 tactical, both of which I loved, but I mostly loved the trigger on the sp01 due to the metal on metal being a lot smoother. Prior to those i’ve had a couple glock 19s, a 45, a 17, as well as a sig p320 which I did not like at all, an archon type b, and also tried some other options like a springfield prodigy which felt nice but it wasn’t cleaned so who knows how much better it could have been, a couple full size and commander size 1911s, a fn 509t which was awesome, a p365 x macro, a 43x which I also didn’t like, a handful of different revolvers, and a few others I’m sure I’m missing. As far as requirements there aren’t many, but my budget is about $1000 so whatever I can do in that range more or less. The p01 would likely be cajunized and milled and the mac would likely get a spring kit and a different grip if the budget allows, either way it’ll get changed I’m sure lol. I am leaning towards the 2011 just due to the amount of aftermarket availability and the amazing triggers they always provide, so that’s another thing.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don’t have anything against striker fired guns, I’ve just found myself enjoying da/sa and sa handguns more, specifically czs as of late, that’s about all it boils down to. Prior to this post I had a p07 and a sp01 tactical, both of which I loved, but I mostly loved the trigger on the sp01 due to the metal on metal being a lot smoother. Prior to those i’ve had a couple glock 19s, a 45, a 17, as well as a sig p320 which I did not like at all, an archon type b, and also tried some other options like a springfield prodigy which felt nice but it wasn’t cleaned so who knows how much better it could have been, a couple full size and commander size 1911s, a fn 509t which was awesome, a p365 x macro, a 43x which I also didn’t like, a handful of different revolvers, and a few others I’m sure I’m missing. As far as requirements there aren’t many, but my budget is about $1000 so whatever I can do in that range more or less. The p01 would likely be cajunized and milled and the mac would likely get a spring kit and a different grip if the budget allows, either way it’ll get changed I’m sure lol. I am leaning towards the 2011 just due to the amount of aftermarket availability and the amazing triggers they always provide, so that’s another thing.
    That's helpful. Sounds like you have tried quite a few different things which is good.

I'd say the S2C is going to be over your budget based on a bit of looking I did. I did some looking and then held one and determined it was not for me (but didn't shoot one). It was not going to be a carry for me though.

Not sure on the others.

2011 mags can be pricey, and somewhat finicky.
    Generally for something I'm going to carry, I want plenty of mags. You may also get into fitting parts on a 2011 if as you indicate you end up getting into aftermarket parts.

stale_ranch

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2024
    Carmel
    That's helpful. Sounds like you have tried quite a few different things which is good.

I'd say the S2C is going to be over your budget based on a bit of looking I did. I did some looking and then held one and determined it was not for me (but didn't shoot one). It was not going to be a carry for me though.

Not sure on the others.

2011 mags can be pricey, and somewhat finicky.
    Generally for something I'm going to carry, I want plenty of mags. You may also get into fitting parts on a 2011 if as you indicate you end up getting into aftermarket parts.
    The p01 feels pretty similar to the s2c, it’s smaller and lighter than the other two by a couple ounces which is obviously desirable for a carry option. With the 2011 mags that definitely is a factor, you can get roughly 2 cz75 pattern magazines for every decent quality 2011 magazine.

Also worth mentioning, I would be buying any of these from a private party due to my age so availability is also a concern unfortunately. I wish I were old enough so I could go ahead and either buy new or wait and spec out a stealth arms platypus when the money comes along haha.

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Hey all, currently looking for a concealed carry/general use handgun and I’m between 3 potential options right now, being:

CZ p01 (decocker or omega)
    CZ shadow 2 compact (my thought being the optics cut and the general improvements over the p01)
    MAC/tisas 9 ds (the bull barrel and optic cut version)

I want to be able to carry this future gun for as long as possible and have parts availability without spending all my money to maintain it if something does go wrong, so any insight would be appreciated. I’m not extremely experienced with firearms but do have common sense and know how to follow directions, and have worked on the omega platform and 1911 platform before. Thanks!
    Get all 3 then you will be covered. You know nobody has just on gun. We all try to, but we did not succeed.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Also worth mentioning, I would be buying any of these from a private party due to my age so availability is also a concern unfortunately. I wish I were old enough so I could go ahead and either buy new or wait and spec out a stealth arms platypus when the money comes along haha.
    So here’s the problem with your “private sales”
    1 I’ve seen exactly 1 used mac for sale, it was on here, and was pulled within a few hours.
    2 I’ve yet to see shadow 2 compacts on the shelf, let alone used for sale!

And before you start changing parts on the Mac, tbh I love my Tisas, the trigger is pretty good out of the factory!, I did change the recoil spring, I read that it’s a 16 pound, and I added a 12 pound. (My 320 legion uses 1911 springs, and it works great with my hand loads), and I wish the grip texture was a little more aggressive, but I’ll I’ll add sandpaper grips (it’s primarily a idpa gun)
    Right now I’m looking for a holster that takes a wml (probably going with a red hill tactical)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Don't they also lack a decocker? If I'm correct, that would rule it out for me as a serious use gun. Last thing I want in the post-adrenaline biological response is a gun stuck in SA mode requiring manually decocking the hammer.

I want to be able to carry this future gun for as long as possible and have parts availability without spending all my money to maintain it if something does go wrong

With that criteria in mind, I would suggest expanding your scope to consider offerings from Beretta and Sig. Both have strong factory and aftermarket support, readily available maintenance parts, and will run 80k+ rounds without significant issue pretty readily.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Don't they also lack a decocker? If I'm correct, that would rule it out for me as a serious use gun. Last thing I want in the post-adrenaline biological response is a gun stuck in SA mode requiring manually decocking the hammer.

With that criteria in mind, I would suggest expanding your scope to consider offerings from Beretta and Sig. Both have strong factory and aftermarket support, readily available maintenance parts, and will run 80k+ rounds without significant issue pretty readily.
    They can be carried cocked and locked (to each their own on that front) , but yes, I generally agree, I'd probably expand the search if it were me (but none of those on his list would have made my EDC list in the first place honestly) Not to mention the S2C isnt going to be an easy gun to find on the private market for a bit, and would blow his budget.

Last edited:

stale_ranch

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2024
    Carmel
    So here’s the problem with your “private sales”
    1 I’ve seen exactly 1 used mac for sale, it was on here, and was pulled within a few hours.
    2 I’ve yet to see shadow 2 compacts on the shelf, let alone used for sale!

And before you start changing parts on the Mac, tbh I love my Tisas, the trigger is pretty good out of the factory!, I did change the recoil spring, I read that it’s a 16 pound, and I added a 12 pound. (My 320 legion uses 1911 springs, and it works great with my hand loads), and I wish the grip texture was a little more aggressive, but I’ll I’ll add sandpaper grips (it’s primarily a idpa gun)
    Right now I’m looking for a holster that takes a wml (probably going with a red hill tactical)
    I’ve heard the tisas are better sprung and have better triggers out of the box actually, but that’s good to consider, so thanks. And frankly I haven’t seen much of any of the guns I want for sale but I probably am most likely to find a p01, let’s be real here. Appreciate the feedback!

stale_ranch

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2024
    Carmel

The adrenaline point definitely makes sense, I do think I have probably ruled the s2c out as I’ve been looking this over with some other people as well as myself, the main idea of it was the out of the box improvements compared to the p01 but I doubt it would be worth the price tag. As for your other point, Beretta and Sig are good companies, but I don’t know where to start with them which is a personal issue I suppose. Lol

stale_ranch

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2024
    Carmel
    All too heavy for me. What ever you decide train regularly with it. DA/SA guns aren't what I would consider intuitive to operate making training even more important.
    Genuine question, what makes DA/SA less intuitive to you? Is it the extra learning curve or something else?

stale_ranch

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2024
    Carmel
    If they are drop safe cocked and locked, that would help alleviate my concern. Still not a gun for people management/self-defense sort of use to me, though.
    The s2c is drop safe as long as it doesn’t have an extended firing pin and you’re not slamming it around as hard as you can. There’s a video online of a guy hitting the hammer with a mallet and it doesn’t even touch the primer with the stock firing pin, an extended one is a different story though.

stale_ranch

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2024
    Carmel
    They can be carried cocked and locked (to each their own on that front) , but yes, I generally agree, I'd probably expand the search if it were me (but none of those on his list would have made my EDC list in the first place honestly) Not to mention the S2C isnt going to be an easy gun to find on the private market for a bit, and would blow his budget.
    It’s not for everybody. If I didn’t trust myself with them, I wouldn’t be open to carrying them though so that’s not really a factor for me.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    So fyi the Tisas/Mac are “series 70” with no hammer drop safety.
    So my intended purpose for my Tisas is a 2011 idpa gun, so competition only, originally I wanted a shadow 2 compact but I gave up trying to find one, I’ve actually seen 3 in the wild! (Two are owned by 1 guy, one is his idpa esp gun, and the other is his idpa carry optics gun), and the 3rd was owned by a guy who shoots carry optics in idpa, and he carries his as his self defense gun.

If I can give you some advice, the Tisas is optics ready, but for the rsmc/k footprint so there’s not a big variety of dots available. (And I’ve yet to find adapter plates!)

The Mac takes adapter plates, it actually comes with a rmr plate…the only plate available as of now, they (sds) say they’re will be more available later this year

So if your looking to put optics on your pistol just a couple of things to think about!

Top Bottom