• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Tempering temperatures will obviously depend on the specific steel you are working with. With the file, it's hard telling for certain what they used. Could be W1, W2, 1095 or ? Without knowing for sure, you can take a guess. If it was W1 or W2, which are water hardening steels, your oil quench would probably not have gotten it up to full hardness anyway, so you may be OK. If it is one of the oil hardening steels, then you probably got it pretty darn hard. Anyway, I did a quick search and came across this chart ->
    bef42527.jpg

As you can see, 300-degrees is the lower end of the tempering range but it is in the tempering range (assuming it was in the oven long enough). I don't think I would go to the trouble of trying to remove those handles to try to do anything else. I would use it some and see how it does.

By the way, that knife is looking really good. It looks like the home brewed micarta came out good too.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Tempering temperatures will obviously depend on the specific steel you are working with. With the file, it's hard telling for certain what they used. Could be W1, W2, 1095 or ? Without knowing for sure, you can take a guess. If it was W1 or W2, which are water hardening steels, your oil quench would probably not have gotten it up to full hardness anyway, so you may be OK. If it is one of the oil hardening steels, then you probably got it pretty darn hard. Anyway, I did a quick search and came across this chart ->
    bef42527.jpg

As you can see, 300-degrees is the lower end of the tempering range but it is in the tempering range (assuming it was in the oven long enough). I don't think I would go to the trouble of trying to remove those handles to try to do anything else. I would use it some and see how it does.

By the way, that knife is looking really good. It looks like the home brewed micarta came out good too.

excellent info, and chart!

Top Bottom