• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    1st edition for $80 bucks on some auction site. Pops has a reprint.
    neat old book

Looks like a very neat book. Here's an oldie.

varmint.jpg
    varmint.jpg

varmint.jpg

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Luckily I haven't seen many whistle pigs around our fields or here at the farm. Mostly raccoons or oppossums. Which I deal with either one of those on sight immediately.

cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    So far I've got 5 in my backyard. Most have been young ones. To my knowledge I have 2 left. They are getting harder to shoot since all their siblings are laying motionless back in the woods. I've been sitting on my patio with my 10/22 and all have been between 35-45 yards. Been using sub-sonic rounds as to not bring awareness to my next door neighbors.

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    As a farmer, groundhogs and racoons are our worst enemies. If anyone ever wants to shoot groundhogs, visit some local farmers and ask them. They will probably be more than happy to point out a couple dozen holes for you. I know we have a heck of a lot more than I have time to shoot. Just look in soybean fields this time of year for areas with soybeans missing and they'll show up soon.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Getting permission 20 yrs ago was easy.

Not anymore.

Low chuck populations, high gas prices.............and the change in some rural folks attitude (old farmers are cool, a lot of younger ones are not)..............not worth the hassle IMHO.

Dorian Gray

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    I'm so glad that there are folks as excited as me about finally taking out one of these destructive suckers! 10-22 sub sonics baby.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Killed 3 more! Used some HPR 60grain plastic tipped ammo on these and WOW what a difference. I was using regular FMJ and the Ground hogs would just drop dead. With this ammo both of the smaller ones had gaping exit wounds. The bigger one didnt have an exit wound but looked as if a baseball was coming out of its back. Really impressed with this ammo. 3 shots 3 kills.

picture.php

Last edited:

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I took this one this morning. It's the 4th one I have taken with the Kel-Tec P11 this year. The P11 isn't my number one choice for groundhogs but it's always with me.

SANY0018.jpg

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I just posted a thread about dealing with some of these in my backyard, but I've found that smoke bombs from the local fireworks store work really well to get them outta their burrows. I use a big section of pvc pipe to shove the thing down in the burrow then just go sit on my deck with the daughter's 10/22 and wait :)

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Killed 2 earlier this summer with a 220 connibear and then a third yesterday, Shot her at about 50 yds with my Savage .17 HMR shooting Remington Premier 17 Gr. Accutips. One shot in front of the front shoulder and she dropped where she stood. This last one had been taunting me for the last few days as I ran the tractor, standing in the middle of a mowed two-track watching me. This time however I was on the four wheeler with something other than my EDC.

Last edited:

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Does anyone have any they can send me? I got mom and 3 young ones last year by the barn, haven't seen any since. In years past had a route that I would drive and would get over 30 a year.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Very nice...hard to tell from a pic, but I'll bet he's pushing 18-20#'s. How Far?

Never shot one with a shotgun. Would love to dust one with some 00:)

I couldn’t tell you what the weight is.

It was just coming out of the strawberry patch when I poked the muzzle around the corner and let him have it. It was a distance of only 11 yards.

The load I use works very good at close range with an 18.5” cylinder bore and with the hot and heavy payload it carries it still has enough mass to do the job at a much longer distances. It’s a good all around setup for keeping critters out of the garden and hen house.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    I couldn’t tell you what the weight is.

It was just coming out of the strawberry patch when I poked the muzzle around the corner and let him have it. It was a distance of only 11 yards.

The load I use works very good at close range with an 18.5” cylinder bore and with the hot and heavy payload it carries it still has enough mass to do the job at a much longer distances. It’s a good all around setup for keeping critters out of the garden and hen house.

Here's a monster a shot last Friday...almost as big as yours :@ya: ... Mid-June is way too late to be shooting my first one of the year. This little runt was too small to eat, even if he wasn't gut-shot.

image0314r.jpg
    image0314r.jpg
    image0314r.jpg
    ][IMG]
    image0314r.jpg

6br + 220yds = fish in a barrel

Top Bottom