• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    I finally got to the range and shot my Mosin for the first time. What a blast! The recoil isn't as crazy as people had made it out to be, but it isn't easily ignored. I think what is happening is that I am trying to work on too many things at the same time. I am slowly squeezing the trigger and trying to keep my sight picture right and keep the sights on the target. I think I was so focused on those things that I didn't snug the rifle well in my shoulder pocket. I shot around 50 rounds and have two small bruises and am pretty sore. I also have a wussy pad, 1" rubber butt pad. Is there anything to do to help or just keep practicing and not forgetting to snug? Muzzle brake? I shot my 10/22 10 rounds to 1 that day. Im trying to get used to shooting the Mosin and not learn a flinch.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I did 5 rounds Saturday after a few mags of .223 in my AR, and an hour and a half of weedeating our front clearing and down the shooting range...

5 rounds, sweaty T-shirt, front and rear bags (recoil STRAIGHT BACK), oh, and issue steel buttplate... I've got 4 bruises. but proof that I wasn't getting it shouldered at the exact same spot every time, lol.

Developed a heck of a flinch on rounds 4 and 5... LOL.

I usually grab dads PAST (I think) shoulder recoil pad. Will be getting one of the cheap rubber pads for the Mosin also...

past-recoil-shield.jpg

It helps.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    A garand is a great way of mitigating recoil while shooting a WWII era weapon.

In all seriousness the Mosin isn't really something that people shoot all day.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I haven't shot a 91/30 but my brother has an M44. The recoil on that is suppose to be bad but I thought it was barely noticeable. My Mausers are the same way. Snug it up and enjoy it.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    A garand is a great way of mitigating recoil while shooting a WWII era weapon.

In all seriousness the Mosin isn't really something that people shoot all day.
    why not? :laugh: most we have gone through between 2 people = 260 rounds. good lord that day was epic.. shoulder goes numb after about 50. or is it your mind adjusting to the impact that shortly ensues?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Dirty capitalist and his pansy rubber pad! Mosin for killing fascists not for comfort! Hold Three Line Rifle of 1891 hard to shoulder like holding Olga during romantic embrace. Soon recoil show very little and you have great time on Eastern Front.

But honestly I don't think recoil is bad. It's definitely there but manageable.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    NWI
    i shot about 40 rounds two weeks ago. about 10 on m44 and the rest on a 9130 with a 16 1/2" barrel. first time shooting mosins and i couldve gone all day. just a little blacknblue but no pain at all. recoil was'nt bad at all and don't feel the need for rubber pad.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Lol, it definitely didn't hurt until I got home. The sun lobstered me and the Mosin bruised me, but nothing really set in until that night. I was in quite a bit of discomfort. Ok then, I'll work on snugging it up. I was told not to use my right hand, shooting hand, to really grip the gun. It should just be working the trigger and the left was snugging and holding the weight. Is that correct? Is there a good muzzle break I could buy and will that really help much?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Lol, it definitely didn't hurt until I got home. The sun lobstered me and the Mosin bruised me, but nothing really set in until that night. I was in quite a bit of discomfort. Ok then, I'll work on snugging it up. I was told not to use my right hand, shooting hand, to really grip the gun. It should just be working the trigger and the left was snugging and holding the weight. Is that correct? Is there a good muzzle break I could buy and will that really help much?

I know the AK-74 style brakes work great but you MUST keep the screws that secure it on the end of your barrel tight. Wouldn't want to have to find a launched chunk of metal that may or may not have taken some barrel with it.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    But I hold Olga gently during romantic embrace...surely this is not what you mean comrade?

Warm embraces on the night make Svetlana shove with force of angry mule. I give best vodka and little Russian friends to hold in her chamber but all she gives me are the bruise and kick. Why Svetlana? Why?

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Did you wrap your forward arm around the sling?

No, a guy that I met at the range did this. Does it help keep the rifle surely pressed into your shoulder? I am planning on going to appleseed training after my honey moon. This is just trial by error until then. I just hope I do not pick up some bad mistakes but I think I am doing ok so far.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    No, a guy that I met at the range did this. Does it help keep the rifle surely pressed into your shoulder? I am planning on going to appleseed training after my honey moon. This is just trial by error until then. I just hope I do not pick up some bad mistakes but I think I am doing ok so far.

I don't have the cognitive capacity to explain it, but long story short, it helps with recoil as well as weight dispersion. I shot today on a sandbag instead, and it was all over the place.

You're gonna shoot Appleseed with a Mosin?

Top Bottom