• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I see nothing wrong with this. It was their choice to end their lives. I respect their wishes. I wouldn't want to live like that either. It's a personal choice. I think people should have that choice.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I see nothing wrong with this. It was their choice to end their lives. I respect their wishes. I wouldn't want to live like that either. It's a personal choice. I think people should have that choice.

Absolutely positively agree. As was said up thread: The ULTIMATE personal right.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    The problem I have with it is the doctor assistance part. And I will certainly have a problem with it if I am forced to help pay for it. I still struggle with having to put my dog down. I cant imagine if one of my family wanted to do that.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    The problem I have with it is the doctor assistance part. And I will certainly have a problem with it if I am forced to help pay for it. I still struggle with having to put my dog down. I cant imagine if one of my family wanted to do that.

Did you put your dog down to end its suffering? Why shouldn't people have the same option to have a peaceful, merciful death?

I would much rather my loved ones have the option of a humane death instead of having to try to end their own lives with guns, knives, ropes or pills. I would be much more at peace knowing they died peacefully at the hands of a skilled physician than to wonder if they suffered long when they did it themselves.

I don't see the problem with having to pay for it. I would think the euthanasia would be cheaper in the long run than making them suffer until their natural life ended.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Either you own your life or you don't. These two decided to exercise their right and end it, rather than endure the torture of blindness on top of their deafness. Kudos to Belgium for respecting their wishes.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Did you put your dog down to end its suffering? Why shouldn't people have the same option to have a peaceful, merciful death?

I would much rather my loved ones have the option of a humane death instead of having to try to end their own lives with guns, knives, ropes or pills. I would be much more at peace knowing they died peacefully at the hands of a skilled physician than to wonder if they suffered long when they did it themselves.

I thought my dog was suffering but I am not sure. that is part of the struggle. If a family member went deaf and blind and wanted to commit suicide I wouldnt understand. Death is so final, yet life is full of possibilities.
    Would you be cool with one of your kin deciding to commit suicide?

I don't see the problem with having to pay for it. I would think the euthanasia would be cheaper in the long run than making them suffer until their natural life ended.

This would be a great argument if I was a Utilitarian.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I thought my dog was suffering but I am not sure. that is part of the struggle. If a family member went deaf and blind and wanted to commit suicide I wouldnt understand. Death is so final, yet life is full of possibilities.

No, and I would try my best to talk them out of it, but ultimately if they, after careful and considered thought, still wanted to do it then I would respect their decision as it IS their decision. Each individual is the only person who can own their own life and that includes the right to end it. If you don't own your own life then you are nothing but a slave.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    ""They had a cup of coffee in the hall. It went well and a rich conversation."
    DEAF twins... Wait a MINUTE

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    No, and I would try my best to talk them out of it, but ultimately if they, after careful and considered thought, still wanted to do it then I would respect their decision as it IS their decision. Each individual is the only person who can own their own life and that includes the right to end it. If you don't own your own life then you are nothing but a slave.

I am against government involvement if that was unclear. I am not so keen on doctor involvement either but I cant control other people and dont want to. I would take my business to a doctor that is pro life. That is my choice.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    It's narcissistic to try to understand the pathos of being completely removed from all sensory functions that define our reality until you have to live it.

I can't imagine their despair in realizing the fate that awaited them in this world.

Well.
    The sad fact is that everyone posting here on this forum will be dead in about 70 years (most no longer getting flowers on their graves), many of us suffering ever progressing debility, pain and loss of loved ones. IF we don't die at the hands of some maniac or in a sudden violent accident. Some will die alone in nursing homes, smelling of urine, and some in nicer digs, but die they will. Some will make it to a ripe old age, in relatively good health, but not without the loss of good friends (and tragically) perhaps the death of a spouse or child.

If you stop and think about it, the fate we all await is death. I recall the epitath from a tombstone (a common one in the past)

Remember friends as you pass by
    as you are now, so once was I
    as I am now, so you must be
    Prepare for death and follow me

In spite of all this, life, with all it's pain and disappointment, is worth living.
    It's a shame these boys didn't realize that. They made a mockery of life.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond

Yes, I would support their decision if they were terminal and suffering. In 1996 my dad died of lung cancer that had metastasized from his colon. I was in the room when he took his final labored breath. The last day he was awake and coherent was Thursday yet he didn't die until Sunday. I can only hope Thursday was the last day he was aware of struggling to breath. My understanding is that he eventually suffocated from his rising CO2 levels.

He had a DNR. I don't know if he would have chosen assisted suicide if it were offered but I do believe that should have been his choice to make. The same as he made the choice not to be resuscitated.

I believe as a civilized nation that physician assisted suicide should be made available to terminal patients who are suffering but are coherent enough to make an informed decision.

I definitely understand the difficulty in putting a pet down. Pets can't verbalize their suffering and it is hard to gauge how dire their situation is. I too struggle when I have to make this decision.

Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Their choice. If men are to be the master of their own fate, they must have the liberty to say when their life ends.

Top Bottom